Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's tried out the new Lunars? How's it gone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Does anyone else's Lunar group travel with a menagerie? One thing that surprised me is how many animals the PCs travel with; they're now up to a giant horse, a talking bear, a black bear, and a polar bear. But maybe that's just my group.
    To be fair, my Okeanos game (which was predominantly Solar) had a giant talking dog, a ghost-snake, a skeleton rowing crew, Octavian and his flying wasp, a pack of pirate-dreamers of Makarios, several flying whales (all of which were killed by sheer negligence), and numerous human crewmen. Meanwhile, the Lunar game I'm playing in has zero animals.

Comment

Our Solar games have all sorts of random allies, but not generally animals. Wives, husbands, hangers-on, mates, demons, elementals, brown-nosing mortals, etc. My Lunar in the Solar/Lunar game did give his grandson a bear, but that's the only animal I think. Whereas the Lunars have a fair few. I expected them to be too self-sufficient, but the familiar charms are actually very good.

Originally posted by Beast of Bitter Oblivion View Post

It’s bear envy from other characters. Thought it was pretty obvious.
      Probably, yeah. Once one person started...

My characters:
      Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
      Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Our Solar games have all sorts of random allies, but not generally animals. Wives, husbands, hangers-on, mates, demons, elementals, brown-nosing mortals, etc. My Lunar in the Solar/Lunar game did give his grandson a bear, but that's the only animal I think. Whereas the Lunars have a fair few. I expected them to be too self-sufficient, but the familiar charms are actually very good.

Probably, yeah. Once one person started...
        I don’t think anyone actually has any familiar charm . Like one of the bears has just been knocked out and bearnapped so can walk away any time.

Comment

Amira, the Changing Moon, has the get-familiars charm, that's how she got her bear. She could spam it to get more I think, she just hasn't.

My characters:
          Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
          Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

I've been playing a Changing Moon Lothario who swiftly became the Circle's fixer of sorts. The Circle needs to scout out an area trafficking in weapons across the River Province? Kharas can sneak in as a house cat and see what they're doing. The Circle needs supplies? Kharas can seduce a young merchant for all the goods they need. The circle is tracking down and exterminating fairies hiding an incredibly rare forge? Kharas can become an entire flank due to being Spider-Raptor-Man. It's been good fun, and while the War form rules in 3e took some getting used to, it's not been as different as I initially thought they would be.

Comment

Ah, for DBT? Yeah, the mechanical system is different, in terms of its interaction with HBR etc, but it works out quite similar. Become a big tough mutant as a simple action, maybe activate other charms at the same time.

I like the way it is more about being big and strong, rather than being more dextrous like in 2nd (or even worse in 1st!).
              Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 08-05-2019, 03:33 PM.

My characters:

Comment

How have you all got on with Lunar XP?

It seems to me that the Changing Moon bonus is harder than the No Moon or Full Moon bonus. It's more specific in terms of what actions related to your caste are going to come up.

The Casteless bonus seems to work well for the gorilla-totem character who likes shapeshifting (mostly into a gorilla, but also for other things). It doesn't work so well for the social character who hasn't got tattooed yet, because he doesn't shapeshift much and it's all about shapeshifting.

My characters:

Comment

It seems to me that the Changing Moon bonus is harder than the No Moon or Full Moon bonus. It's more specific in terms of what actions related to your caste are going to come up.

The Casteless bonus seems to work well for the gorilla-totem character who likes shapeshifting (mostly into a gorilla, but also for other things). It doesn't work so well for the social character who hasn't got tattooed yet, because he doesn't shapeshift much and it's all about shapeshifting.
                  I don’t think the casteless bonus is working most of the time at all. Most of the time you get lunar xp out of your intimacies.

Comment

Why is this character not shapeshifting into other humans?

Or even variations on the same human? I'd be willing to rule that a Casteless gets the role bonus for solving problems via creative or dramatic applications of Many-Faced Moon Transformation.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

He doesn't have any other human shapes. Actually, I think 5 of the 6 characters don't have any.
                      Have other players found that?

But that would work well for him, being a trickster and grifter. And he has the charm for getting forms via gambling, IIRC. I'll try and suggest it/give him the opportunity. They're at a small military camp now, and soldiers like gambling.
                      I can't remember if he has Many-Faced Moon Transformation, I'll check.

It's a good suggestion, thanks.
                      Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 08-07-2019, 02:04 AM.

My characters:

Comment

Two in four is not all . There are also the "character development" and "protecting an intimacy to a community" roles that don't have anything to do with shapeshifting, per se. A socialite character should be able to play off those,
                        He doesn't have any other human shapes. ... But that would work well for him, being a trickster and grifter. And he has the charm for getting forms via gambling, IIRC. I'll try and suggest it/give him the opportunity.
                        Don't forget to arrange to advance or protect a defining intimacy when completing those sacred hunts.

Comment

Human shapes are so overrated.

Comment

Eh, once my No Moon and his Changing Moon daughter killed and impersonated the Emperor of the Southern Dynasty. We announced the war with the Northern Dynasty was over, named his youngest daughter the heir, betrothed her to the 4 year-old Northern Emperor (so the countries will be reunited in the future), and had a philosophy competition to choose a virtuous and selfless regent (a Dragon King philosopher won; his relatives died millenia ago so we know he won't be nepotistic).

And, as we both had the form, we both were sometimes seen in the same room as him, so no-one suspected us of impersonating him.

I also have the form of the Night Caste prince, though I have not used it. His Changing Moon concubine/wife uses his form a lot though, to do things like competently attend government meetings while he's off pretending to be a working-class street hero or whatever (due to trauma and depression).

My characters:

Comment

Oz mentioned the shapeshifting interaction with dice caps, which is something I'd echo. They've been a difficult snarl for us when we've had to deal with them, though thus far my group has preferred human or hybrid shapes for anything needing dice pools. I'm tempted to rewrite them for clarity, but not entirely sure what I'd change to make improvements.

I also notice that your critter shapes, apparently including your spirit shape, don't intrinsically improve with experience. I think I'd be alright with needing to present more and more exotic and powerful critter shapes to be on-par with escalating challenges. But, it seems that we'd want the spirit shape to evolve and grow. Maybe. We're not that far along to decide if spirit shapes are feeling obsolete, yet.

We did have one misread of the rules that I thought was interesting. Because of the dice-cap confusion, a player thought that Lunars stunting in a second Attribute gained that Attribute as (basically free) Excellency, rather than just extending the dice cap limitations. I thought it was a pretty intriguing idea, even though it completely breaks Essence efficiency.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

We're pretty relaxed on all forms of Exalted XP. If you're interacting with your role in the group and in the story, and with your intimacies, then you get the award. Or, if you set up a friend to do the same, you get the award.

XP awards for setting up an ally to shine is one of the gems from Ex3 that I really like.

In my Chronicle, we also have a third type of XP, called Aeon XP, since we're in the Aeon Exalted setting hack. It's awarded for interacting with the Chronicle outside of what we do at the game table. Posting a write-up or a story, catching up a player on a missed session, or things like that all award 1 AXP. AXP work like Exalted XP, except they can be used by any of a player's characters.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

Working...
                                X