Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedge formation

Heya Everyone

I am currenlty working on a Dragon blooded campagin where I am going for a Dynasty Warrior, Warring states theme.

So doing my research and such, I came to thinking. A battlegroup cannot move through another battle group.

What if we have the scenario with the Hero leading his men in battle against another group, but the group he needs to attack is the hostile battlegroup behind the one he is already fighting (where the enemy general is)

So he could go through the battle group on his own but he would like to bring his soldiers so he is not totally alone.

How would you manage that? Some have suggested it as a stunt.

I was more thinking an order, where the difficulty becomes larger the more size difference there is and how well drilled the force that has to be penetrated

Any insight or ideas are much welcome!
    Last edited by Adaras; 07-31-2019, 06:47 AM.

Is the battle group you're passing through an enemy battle group?

Comment

Hi Uknown Darklord Yes sorry that I didnt make that clear

Comment

My first idea is that you probably want to employ some sort of charm or magic to make them fail a valor roll.

If you can get them to scatter, or route, then in the confusion you can pass through them.

Maybe do something like a Haka or war dance to intimidate the battle group you want to go through, and then charge, utilizing magic to either cause them to hesitate as you rush pass them, or as they scatter via route.

You may have to initiate an attack on them to try and get them to scatter in this process.

Is the battle group you're passing through the same size as yours?

Comment

Hmm. At a glance I'd allow it the same way we allow disengages, but with modifiers appropriate for the situation, like "the bigger bg gains its size difference in the test" and "both add Drill"

Comment

Might also play it as difficult terrain by default, making the process strenuous and prolonged.

Comment

Go around.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                Go around.

Do a barrel roll.

Comment

Do (Bad military thing) to the battle group being moved through such that they break into two smaller groups on either side which may or may not be able to rejoin.

Alternatively, model things as smaller battlegroups. A Republican Legion of 5000 was made up of 20 maniples of 120 which could theoretically be broken down into 3 lines of 40 that cycled in and out of battle.

So it is a matter of scale. Individual small battle groups might care about being able to move through others. If you are a general of 4 legions that might be a useful thing to happen which is well below your level to manage personally unless its you doing it with your bodyguards.

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post
                    Alternatively, model things as smaller battlegroups.
                    You're specifically not supposed to do that.

I think that a maneuver based on busting through should be kept address simple; a gambit that, of successful, allows a battle group to pass through another as though it was an individual (without the one Initiative per round cost).

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Gambit: Push Through! (Difficulty 1-5+)

The character hurls herself against an enemy battlegroup's lines ordering her own troops to form a wedge behind her as they push through together.

The Gambit's Difficulty is equal to the enemy battlegroups Size 1 plus any bonuses to Defence the enemy battlegroup might have from their Drill and Might (and other sources at ST discretion, such as Specialties in blockading movement -- normal bonuses to Defence should NOT apply unless conferred by Drill or Might).

Before rolling the character nominates one allied battlegroup to benefit from this Gambit and one enemy battlegroup as the target.

On a successful roll the character may move through the opposing battlegroup (crossing it as difficult terrain as normal at a cost of one Initiative per round). Every time she moves through the opposing battlegroup her allied battlegroup may reflexively make a move action to follow her (at no cost to the battlegroup, and this does not count as their movement action for the round) as they fight their way through the mass of the opposing battlegroup.

Both battlegroups take a -2 Penalty to their Defence until the allied battlegroup has pushed all the way through, and neither may perform Flurries. The battlegroups are considered to be Engaged for the purpose of applicable magics, Stratagems etc., which affect Grapples. The opposing battlegroup may move as normal (i.e. they will need to use the disengage action unless two or more Sizes larger than the allied battlegroup), but moving allows the character and allied battlegroup to move through them unopposed. (If the opposing battlegroup wishes to prevent the allied group moving through them, they should take Engage actions targeting the character who performed this Gambit.)

How many rounds it takes to cross a battlegroup is at Storyteller's discretion but generally a Size 4-5 battlegroup will take three move actions to cross, Size 3 will take two actions and Size 1-2 can be crossed in a single action.
                      Last edited by JohnDoe244; 07-31-2019, 04:34 PM. Reason: Adjusted difficulty

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Thank you so much all for your opinions and input, Johndoe244 I think its a super gambit idea ! Thank you, its very much along the lines of what I imagined myself

Comment

I'm not overly fond of the gambit because it relies on the commanders that actually fight in the field, leaving the "commands back from his tent with carefully rehearsed smoke and horn signals" type of brainy commander useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapse View Post
                            I'm not overly fond of the gambit because it relies on the commanders that actually fight in the field, leaving the "commands back from his tent with carefully rehearsed smoke and horn signals" type of brainy commander useless.
                            The OP was talking about a Dynasty Warriors theme, and I wrote the Gambit in line with how the Dynasty Warriors video games work.

Additionally, most great generals still have some kind of champion or field commander on the front line. Piccard/Professor X/Agamemnon commands from the behind the lines but his trusted Ryker/Cyclops/Achilles is on the front. There's no reason the person performing the Gambit needs to be the mastermind in ultimate authority.

I can write you a Stratagem for a brainy commander, but my homebrew isn't any more valid than anyone else's homebrew.

Stratagem: Linebreakers (Threshold: 2)

The victorious general's troops are prepared to smash through the enemy's battlelines in wedge formations.

In the coming battle, battlegroups Engaging enemy battlegroups may give up two rounds of control to move one range band through the opposing battlegroup.

How many rounds it takes to cross a battlegroup is at Storyteller's discretion but generally a Size 4-5 battlegroup will take three move actions to cross, Size 3 will take two actions and Size 1-2 can be crossed in a single action.

Additionally Push Through Gambits taken by allied characters automatically succeed, deducting the Initiative cost without rolling.
                            Last edited by JohnDoe244; 08-02-2019, 01:42 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Or, you know, you could make it so the battle group is the one that does the Push Through gambit.

Comment

Working...
                              X