Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concerning elementals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Concerning elementals

    So, glorious divinity is really confusing.
    .First of all, are all elementals incapable of killing gods permanently. The section about elementals vs gods says that gods have the advantage of resurrecting upon death, we know that gods can kill each other permanently so does that mean that elementals are incapable of doing this?
    Are they capable of having a divine panoply made for them? It's supposed to be related to a spirit's domain, so i assume the answer is no
    Finally,the book says one of their disadvantages is being affected by mandates of subordination, so i assume they themselves are incapable of doing it?
    By the way which metal do elementals attune to?

  • #2
    I don't have Gods and Elementals in front of me, but IIRC:

    Gods can kill each other permanently? Short of knocking their star out of the sky I can't recall any method of how they would achieve this. No Elementals can't do that.

    Elementals are not created with domains but may be granted domains.

    To issue a Mandate you need a Rank which is based on your domain. Elementals with a Rank could probably issue Mandates (officials within the Beuro of Seasons, Censors etc.). The vast majority of Elementals will only have a place in the Elemental Courts and will therefore not be able to issue Mandates.

    Spirits in general don't get magical material bonuses. But I'd place Elementals with the appropriate shade of Jade.
    Last edited by JohnDoe244; 08-04-2019, 09:40 AM.


    Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mark View Post
      The section about elementals vs gods says that gods have the advantage of resurrecting upon death
      It means that if you kill a god and don't use something like ghost eating technique then they may reform after a year or however long. If you kill and elemental, it's dead.

      Are they capable of having a divine panoply made for them? It's supposed to be related to a spirit's domain, so i assume the answer is no
      The Aerial legion is full of elementals.

      Finally,the book says one of their disadvantages is being affected by mandates of subordination, so i assume they themselves are incapable of doing it?
      I think this is a summoning thing. If a spell summons them successfully, they have no choice but to obey.

      By the way which metal do elementals attune to?
      you mean how Solars attune to orichalcum and whatnot? They have no corresponding metal.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post

        It means that if you kill a god and don't use something like ghost eating technique then they may reform after a year or however long. If you kill and elemental, it's dead.


        The Aerial legion is full of elementals.


        I think this is a summoning thing. If a spell summons them successfully, they have no choice but to obey.


        you mean how Solars attune to orichalcum and whatnot? They have no corresponding metal.
        When a god kills another god he has the option of killing him forever, or turning him into an artifact, or letting him resurrect with the knowledge that he could have killed him if he so desired. It's just not clear if elementals possess this power

        A divine panoply is special in that it is considered part of the god and needs no motes to attune, but it's related to a spirit's domain. Elementals certainly have JOBS but they don't have a domain, right?

        No a mandate of subordination is a specific ability. Pay one willpower point to command spirits that are your inferiors, so long as you are in the same department i believe(i.e The god of a forest commanding a tree god, etc, the head of a division commanding his inferions, the sun commanding every non incarna and so on) I don 't know if elementals are incapable of using it(given that it's written in their nature to obey gods) or if they can use it on each other

        Don't all spirits have a favored magical material? Gods have starmetal, ghosts soulsteel, demons vitriol

        Comment


        • #5
          The stuff in the gods chapter, like domains, panoplies, sanctums, the mandate of subordination, and the trick where if you kill another god you get to choose an effect, are all god-specific. If the gods chapter of the book says “gods can do x” then it has nothing to do with what elementals can do.

          Also, no, spirits don’t have favoured magical materials.
          Last edited by Stephen Lea Sheppard; 08-02-2019, 05:27 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mark View Post
            It's just not clear if elementals possess this power
            As the Sheppard said, they don't. Elementals specifically are dead when you kill them. No chance of resurrection.

            A divine panoply is special in that it is considered part of the god and needs no motes to attune, but it's related to a spirit's domain. Elementals certainly have JOBS but they don't have a domain, right?
            Correct. So most elementals do not have a domain, unless they are granted one by a Sidereal or some other god capable of doing such.

            No a mandate of subordination is a specific ability. Pay one willpower point to command spirits that are your inferiors, so long as you are in the same department
            Not something they can do since most elementals are not in one of the heavenly bureaus.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mark View Post
              Don't all spirits have a favored magical material? Gods have starmetal, ghosts soulsteel, demons vitriol
              Do you mean a metal they are made out of? Because I don't recall Demons having an affinity for vitiriol, but being dissolved into it.


              The Book of Laughing Serpents, Vol 1,Vol. 2,,Vol 3; Vol 4; Vol 5
              Patreon, with my own games, horror stories, and folklore research here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
              San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here
              My free folklore research and horror writing blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

              Comment


              • #8
                And gods don't actually have any mechanical affinity for starmetal, it's just made of dead gods. Same as soulsteel is made of ghosts. I guess ghosts have some charms that help make soulsteel, but a ghost attuned to soulsteel gets no more benefit than one attuned to jade.


                My characters:
                Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
                Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
                  The stuff in the gods chapter, like domains, panoplies, sanctums, the mandate of subordination, and the trick where if you kill another god you get to choose an effect, are all god-specific. If the gods chapter of the book says “gods can do x” then it has nothing to do with what elementals can do.

                  Also, no, spirits don’t have favoured magical materials.
                  Thanks for the comment. Personally though, i would allow elementals with celestial martial arts/sorcery to have some homebrewed charms capable of killing gods permanently.
                  I know they are the gods' poor cousins, but a lesser elemental dragon becomes a lot less threatening, even to a rank 1 divinity, if he can't really hurt them permanently in most cases

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    True, but a)I think gods with no cult at all don't come back, can't remember exactly; and b)gods with small cults don't come back for quite a while. That's not a massive issue, but it's quite significant. If you're gone for a year, someone else might take your stuff.

                    Humans come back to life if they're killed, and yet they take it somewhat seriously. I mean, they do get turned into babies with amnesia, in a completely random part of the world, which is a lot more significant than "you'll come back to life in a couple of years", but "you'll come back to life at some point in the future" is still not something that's not at all a problem.


                    My characters:
                    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
                    Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                      True, but a)I think gods with no cult at all don't come back, can't remember exactly; and b)gods with small cults don't come back for quite a while. That's not a massive issue, but it's quite significant. If you're gone for a year, someone else might take your stuff.

                      Humans come back to life if they're killed, and yet they take it somewhat seriously. I mean, they do get turned into babies with amnesia, in a completely random part of the world, which is a lot more significant than "you'll come back to life in a couple of years", but "you'll come back to life at some point in the future" is still not something that's not at all a problem.
                      In second edition at least, that's not how it works. Gods with a sanctum always come back. Those with just a domain also come back.(though i think it was a bit more vague) I am not sure about how it works with cults.
                      Also, it only takes weeks or months, i believe, for them to come back. I think the year and a day only applies to second circle demons, who, in return, have the advantage of not needing a sanctum or domain.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mark View Post
                        In second edition at least, that's not how it works. Gods with a sanctum always come back.
                        … and within weeks or months, fully healed but without their panoply, which needs to be reclaimed normally.
                        Originally posted by mark View Post
                        Those with just a domain also come back.(though i think it was a bit more vague)
                        Indeed, rather vague. Essence 2+ gods without a sanctuary will usually reform somewhere within their domain, years or decades later, or sometimes simply fail to ever resurrect.
                        Originally posted by mark View Post
                        I am not sure about how it works with cults.
                        A slain god without either sanctuary or domain will perish utterly. Cults do not appear to provide a way out.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
                          The stuff in the gods chapter, like domains, panoplies, sanctums, the mandate of subordination, and the trick where if you kill another god you get to choose an effect, are all god-specific. If the gods chapter of the book says “gods can do x” then it has nothing to do with what elementals can do.

                          Also, no, spirits don’t have favoured magical materials.
                          Sooooo, I'm sorry but I'm very interested in this question, and I can't seem to recall any of these subjets to be covered in Exalted Core 3e, so would you please tell me where you can find these informations ? Thanks in advance !

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Chausse View Post

                            Sooooo, I'm sorry but I'm very interested in this question, and I can't seem to recall any of these subjets to be covered in Exalted Core 3e, so would you please tell me where you can find these informations ? Thanks in advance !
                            My understanding is that this whole discussion is about a previous edition. I don't think 3E has touched any of those topics yet.

                            Although I would assume that Spirits not having favored materials is still true in 3E because otherwise that would definitely be mentioned somewhere in the Core book

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mark View Post
                              Thanks for the comment. Personally though, i would allow elementals with celestial martial arts/sorcery to have some homebrewed charms capable of killing gods permanently.
                              I know they are the gods' poor cousins, but a lesser elemental dragon becomes a lot less threatening, even to a rank 1 divinity, if he can't really hurt them permanently in most cases
                              I treat it that Elementals, and all spirits, can kill gods, it’s just Gods and higher demons can come back to life from being killed by mortals or cliffs or falling trees. I thought that was backed somewhere.


                              It is a time for great deeds!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X