Concerning elementals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chausse View Post

Sooooo, I'm sorry but I'm very interested in this question, and I can't seem to recall any of these subjets to be covered in Exalted Core 3e, so would you please tell me where you can find these informations ? Thanks in advance !
    Third Edition doesn't go into that level of detail anywhere. Deliberately so.

It may yet! For example, that bit about gods being able to "kill" other spirits and then not kill them but instead bind them for a year or turn them into an artifact that can then be restored to being the spirit? That's an overly complicated bit of nonsense that the book had to include because Games of Divinity, a 1e supplement, casually mentioned that gods could do that, and then 1e Sidereals gave Sidereals a Charm that let them do that, with the logic for them having that Charm being that it's the ability to cultivate the authority of a god over other spirits. Which meant that if 2e Sidereals were going to have that Charm, 2e gods would have to still have that ability. And so if 3e Sidereals are going to have that Charm....

(I don't know if 3e Sidereals are going to have that Charm.)

Comment

It seems a lot more appropriate for a charm than a base effect.

My characters:
      Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
      Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Ok thank you both for your answers !

Actually I'm interested in a bit of deeper understanding of the gods because at the moment I feel very awkward managing them. My ST did a bit of campaign in Yu shan where we went to search for a specific god and it was so cool, but I wouldn't be able to do something like that because I have no idea of how to manage the celestial bureaucracy, the relations of power between gods, can gods actually travel to all of their shrines ? Is there a benefit to construct the temple of a god in a demesne or manse ? And so much more questions on which I would appreciate guidance because I feel like I cant manage a whole part of the setting that I like because I really don't see the bigger picture (or at least a picture that is just a tiny bit bigger)

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
          (I don't know if 3e Sidereals are going to have that Charm.)
          That was part of Terminal Sanction, wasn't it?

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
          It seems a lot more appropriate for a charm than a base effect.
          On the one hand, I agree that that particular Charm is not dependent on being a replication of a particular power possessed by the gods.

And sure, when it's described in general and slightly more mechanically intricate terms as a thing that gods can do to one another, it gets a little bit messy.

Hhhhowever- it feels like an appropriately mythic fate for gods to be able to inflict upon one another, much akin to the idea of punishing transgressions by imprisoning them under a mountain for several centuries, and I think something of that should be preserved in divine social dynamics.

{checks back over Games of Divinity}

Hmm, the original references to soulforging don't exactly make it a general capability of gods; there's one reference to Grala enlisting the aid of another spirit to do it to her predecessor, and another saying that it employs the fires of Heaven.

Making it more limited and external seems a bit more practically regulated, but to me or also kind of loses some of the personality; I think the image of two gods having a conflict at the end of which the winner can impress the list into servitude in the form of some object is pretty neat. I also think it can have issues with feeling as though such conflicts overwhelmingly end in that manner, but... that matters to me a bit less.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post

Third Edition doesn't go into that level of detail anywhere. Deliberately so.

It may yet! For example, that bit about gods being able to "kill" other spirits and then not kill them but instead bind them for a year or turn them into an artifact that can then be restored to being the spirit? That's an overly complicated bit of nonsense that the book had to include because Games of Divinity, a 1e supplement, casually mentioned that gods could do that, and then 1e Sidereals gave Sidereals a Charm that let them do that, with the logic for them having that Charm being that it's the ability to cultivate the authority of a god over other spirits.
            I know for a fact soulforged deities are mentioned in passing Games of Divinity. It being implied to be a thing gods can inherently do - instead of the fruit of divine intrigue, crafting shenanigans and preventing ressurection - not so much.

I really have to reread that book and 1e Sidereals for the actual specifics it seems.

Note: just checked both versions of Sidereals. 1e cites binding into an object, but gives no mechanical effects. 2e adds mechanics (an artifact rated at half the spirit’s Essence [round up], lasts a year and a day, before the spirit goes free). Neither version of Terminal Sanction references permanence or the gods having similar capacity.

In Games of Divinity there are indeed a few casual references to the act of soulforging as a sort of punishment - or criminal behaviour/intrigue.

Two blurbs in particular got my attention:

Originally posted by GoD, pg.15
            Grala, Mistress of the Endless Hunt was once merely the goddess of Eastern hunting beasts. Many centuries ago, she used trickery to capture Tleny, the previous Celestial god of the endless hunt and bribed a powerful spirit to soulforge Tleny into a jade hunting whistle of great magical power. With Tleny gone, Grala took his domain as her own.
            This one, that implies by Grala's actions that soulforging is not a thing all gods are supposed to be capable of - or at least to do in an effective manner.

Originally posted by GoD, pg.20
            Only the foolish or the powerful accompany gods into the rest of Yu-Shan. Outside the bounds of the Carnival, the Carnival peace is void, and mortals can be killed, enslaved or soulforged at the whims of the gods.
            Not limited/inherent to spirits in any manner.

AFAIK, this conceit of Terminal Sanction as a general power inherent to all gods seems to be wholy a product of 2e, RoGD1 in particular.
            Last edited by Baaldam; 08-14-2019, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X