Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Path of the Expanded Lotus (Martial Arts Expansions)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Path of the Expanded Lotus (Martial Arts Expansions)

Remember that martial arts expansion I was working on back at Christmas? Well, Christmas in July. ...OK not July anymore but I'm close damnit!

Do you like martial arts and wish you had more options? Do you wish your favourite style had more options in-game without pulling out a comparison table for weapon and armour combos? Do you want to remain true to your style without feeling like you got cheated for not taking native charms instead? Do you want your chosen style to remain viable late game without exploiting horrific rule abuses?

If you said yes to any of those, then I present to you my latest project: The Expanded Lotus. A completed first draft that contains the following:
    • A system where you can expand your chosen martial art indefinitely. Play the game in entirely new ways with powerful esoteric abilities while remaining true to both the mechanical feel and lore of the styles themselves. Cut apart time and space with Single Point, cripple entire kingdoms with Black Claw style, or summon ghostly clones to fight alongside you with White Reaper.
    • Go above and beyond with the eleven published martial arts styles in the corebook. Nearly 300 additional charms!
    Don't delay! Slam your mouse button over the link here!

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
    Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

I´ve only read (and barely) Shining Void, mostly because is the only style currently in use in my chronicle, and I´m really liking what I´m seeing. This is right now canon in all my games.

Comment

Originally posted by Clophiroth View Post
      I´ve only read (and barely) Shining Void, mostly because is the only style currently in use in my chronicle, and I´m really liking what I´m seeing. This is right now canon in all my games.
      Hey, glad you enjoy it. Single Point expansion was a blast to write for me and one of the one's I'm really happy about. My favorite would have to be the weapon fusion charm.

Comment

If there's no limit to how far a martial art can be expanded, might there be Charms with prerequisites from multiple styles? The Lunars book does mention that there are schools syncretizing Snake and Centipede styles, just to give one example.

(Of course, then you're back to pulling out the comparison table for weapon and armor combos. But still.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
          If there's no limit to how far a martial art can be expanded, might there be Charms with prerequisites from multiple styles? The Lunars book does mention that there are schools syncretizing Snake and Centipede styles, just to give one example.

(Of course, then you're back to pulling out the comparison table for weapon and armor combos. But still.)
          I did not write them with that in mind no. The way I've written these charms is that they're ability charms for essentially any character. You can use core charms with an Expanded Lotus style, but not other Expanded Lotus styles. To quote a person that will not be named:

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not be Named
          The larger the set of different bits of rules exceptions a given proposed rule exception can interact with, the higher the chances are that some kind of [horrifically broken] interaction will exist: see the entire publication history of Exalted, Magic the Gathering, D&D etc etc for choice examples. In order to reduce the number of exception-packets any given exception packet-can interact with to a reasonable minimum, while satisfying other design goals.
          Basically trying to balance two Expanded Lotus styles would be such a colossal pain in the ass that I dare not even attempt it. It would be trying to make a balanced set that combined Melee and Brawl. I mean if you want to do it then I encourage you to do so. I will just warn the charms are not balanced to interact with other Expanded Lotus sets and not something I'm aiming for.

Comment

I love it
            All of my PC's have a Martial Arts Styles and they really looking for these styles to go further. I think you just answer their expectation
            You did a really great job so a Big thank you

Comment

Working...
            X