Charms of Underwhelming Might

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
    I’m pretty sure even Solars can’t do that, right? Not without wearing an outfit that’s giant and baggy. Proof Eating Palm doesn’t even say “an object small enough to hold in one hand.” It says “an object small enough to palm.” Which is like a coin, playing card, maybe a small dagger.
    Lunars have Many-Pockets Meditation. But sure, Solars don't have such a Charm (but they can send weapons, armor, tack & barding and musical instruments Elsewhere).

So what other charms underwhelm people?

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

I'm quite surprised by Vance's ruling that you can use Naked Thief to hide a daiklaive, but it does make it a decent charm.

My characters:
      Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
      Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Automatically making the concealment into an opposed roll also helps. DB excellencies may not go that high, but if you full excellency the concealment, it would take an exalt guard with specialized Charms or who Full Excellencies to spot your daiklave.

Comment

So as stated Vance confirms that you can straight up do this with Naked Thief Style.

Hiding five full sized Diaklaves at difficulty 0 in a bikini and not even letting people try to contest that unless they're at Short range or have magic eyeballs is fair for a two-Charm investment.

Actually it's pretty good for 1m. I am sufficiently whelmed.

Compared to, say, Many-Pockets Meditation, I'm not overwhelmed, but I'm not underwhelmed (and I am in Europe).
          Last edited by JohnDoe244; 08-15-2019, 12:00 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
            I'm quite surprised by Vance's ruling that you can use Naked Thief to hide a daiklaive, but it does make it a decent charm.
            For the weakest class of charm in the game, Essence 1 DB charm, it’s very good. It’s not quite the Solar one, which doesn’t let you hide things nearly as big, and you get it one Essence later, but it’s also reflexive and doesn’t commit motes, require five dex for five items or allow a contested roll. With how hard the DB contested roll is and being able to conceal Daiklaves it’s not just the Solar one but worse.

It also occurs to me that it calls out things like disguise kits and thief tools because otherwise the ST might assume you need a mote committed for each lockpick or for the false nose, scarf ect. in the disguise since they consist of multiple items. Same for the “object hold in one hand.” thing, if it was just an object you’d definitely get a lot of “weeellll technically this trireme is a single object...”

Keeping in theme with the thread though, am I the only one who’s not impressed by almost any charm that involves a distract gambit? Distract is already a gambit that doesn’t see a lot of use, I feel like charms like Elusive Zephyr Strike from Air Thrown or Twin Fang Strike for Lunars? They’re not all bad, With One Mind’s distract effect is dope, and Deadly Wolf Pack Onslaught is...okay but at the Essence you get it at you’re at best making a risky decisive attack and only generating 6i which must be used in a specific way against the same target.

With the distract gambit already being so useless you’d figure some of the charms could like, add (Essence) to the initiative the beneficiary receives or something. I might be wrong though.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned Excellent Friend Method? Thats my go to example of a Charm that strikes me as being really unnecesary. If an NPC already has a Defining Intimacy of loyalty to you that means your one of the central pillars of that persons world. Why would I as the ST demand that asking them to deliver a message, cook you a meal, or whatever other minor task requires a roll in the first place.

Even if I did demand a roll, just so this charm had some value, it would be of trivial difficulty after the player tapped his Intimacy to lower resolve?

Comment

Might have been a fluke, but we saw a lot of use of Distract. My character in particular was good enough in combat to build up some Initiative (and had a great JB), but didn't have a lot of Decisive boosts. So tossing the Init to our Dawn Tiger MA user to help them get into Form Reflexively on the first round, on our archer to use Blood Without Balance for two Decisives in a row at range, or even just setting up my familiar (based on the eagle stat block) who could get double 10s on decisive damage my character didn't was generally more effectively than nibbling a few HLs off.

Since we kinda stumbled into it happening to work with the group of characters we made, it's probably not the greatest data point. When we considered building a more Distract oriented character, it got kinda weird since the two main path towards getting better at Distract also open up Charms that make you better at dishing out damage so...who knows. We definitely felt Solar Dodge could have used a combo of a Charm to Distract using Dodge, and Guard-Breaking Technique.

But that was a Solars game, so I'm not sure how much the DB and Lunar Charms would have interacted in practice. I'd need to compare things to the Solar Thrown gambit boosters to see how I feel in theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Katana1515 View Post
                  Why would I as the ST demand that asking them to deliver a message, cook you a meal, or whatever other minor task requires a roll in the first place.
                  It works on inconvenient tasks, not just trivial ones. You're still asking them to do something they wouldn't do on their own because they trust you, even if not ones with terribly high risks involved.

Even if I did demand a roll, just so this charm had some value, it would be of trivial difficulty after the player tapped his Intimacy to lower resolve?
                  Consider that characters can have multiple Intimacies in all this. If you're trying to Persuade someone to do something using your Defining Intimacy that opposes one of their Major Intimacies, it's a wash on the bonuses/penalties. So it's as difficult as their Resolve naturally is. This isn't for getting your servants to do stuff, it's for getting a Terrestrial that you've bonded with in the heat of battle fighting something obviously evil so they're now conflicted with strong ties to you as both an Anathema but a clear warrior for good, and the teachings the Immaculates and duties to the Realm they haven't shaken off yet.

Plus Excellent Friend Approach is a permanent Charm. It's not like it costs you anything to use.

Comment

Working...
                  X