Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Lunar Clash-fighter

Hey all!

I'm working on a project to build up a Lunar PC. I was thinking I'd have him leverage Clashing as a favored maneuver. In part, because nobody in my group really is yet. In part, the ringing of steel parrying steel - or claw sweeping steel aside - seems like a fun theme to riff on. I was also thinking of a very Aikido / Jujutsu type of feel - where an attacker who's fencing for position with a flurry of Withering attacks might be met and parried, but someone going all out has their energy used against them, finding themselves suddenly tail-over-teakettle, flying through the air, and pinned.

[Magpie Borrows Homework Approach]

Out of curiosity while I'm shopping for Charms and MArts, how would y'all go about assembling such a beast?

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Maybe a mongoose lunar that’s one of nature’s counter attack fighters
    I recommend getting inspiration from https://www.shengchifoundation.org/kungfu/mongoose
    Last edited by Beast of Bitter Oblivion; 08-08-2019, 07:48 PM.

Comment

*looks both ways*

Crane Style.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

You would probably be interested in my break downs on clashing, clashing with two-handed hammers, and clashing with various Martial Arts.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...ttempt-a-clash

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

So really, what you want in a Clash is high accuracy, and you want this accuracy cheaply so you can clash all the time.

So the unfortunate thing with a bunch of Lunar builds is that they do nothing for accuracy, just damage or soak.

Except for, ta dah, Death Kitty, which gives +3 resting accuracy more than any base Lunar build, charms and whatnot being equal, (Just ask JohnDoe, he fought one in simulation).

Edit: I'm missing something but do heavy weapons help with Clash?
          Last edited by prototype00; 08-09-2019, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Two-handed weapons get +2 accuracy in clash. This makes them as accurate as medium weapons, but with better damage.

A pair of light weapons still has the best accuracy for clashes though. (Still, I've frequently found that I hit people with light weapons and then do hardly any damage, hitting people with a massive tetsubo is attractive... but then, you can make up for that with Strength charms I guess.)

My Exalted characters:
            Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
              Two-handed weapons get +2 accuracy in clash. This makes them as accurate as medium weapons, but with better damage.

A pair of light weapons still has the best accuracy for clashes though. (Still, I've frequently found that I hit people with light weapons and then do hardly any damage, hitting people with a massive tetsubo is attractive... but then, you can make up for that with Strength charms I guess.)
              Ah, cool. Yeah, so Light Weapons and you pray that you win the clash. With 21 resting accuracy (no motes spent at all), Death Kitty has a pretty good shot.

Comment

With 2 short daiklaives, Dex 5, Melee 5 and a specialty, you've got, what... 18 dice before charms? Doesn't require much praying.

How does death kitty have such high accuracy? Doesn't it run into dice caps? Or is this with a stunt?

My Exalted characters:
                Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

With 2 short daiklaives, Dex 5, Melee 5 and a specialty, you've got, what... 18 dice before charms? Doesn't require much praying.

How does death kitty have such high accuracy? Doesn't it run into dice caps? Or is this with a stunt?
                  Cats have a +3 inherent accuracy buff if you buy one of their latents. (Counts as charm dice, but its basically free once you've shapechanged) So you can do everything someone with the two short daiklaives can do and then add +3 on to that.

prototype00

Comment

Yeah, but short daiklaives have +5 non-charm accuracy, +7 when clashing.

Surely that's better than an cat's +1 non-charm accuracy. Dex 5, Brawl 5, +1 spec maybe, +1 accuracy, +3 from this latent, is 14. With a stunt, 16, and up to 7 more charm dice, that's 24, is it not?
                    But you're the expert on cat mechanics, I'm not as familiar with them.

Whereas Dex 5, Melee 5, +1 spec, +5 non-charm accuracy for a daiklaive, +2 non-charm accuracy from two weapons in a clash, is 18 dice, plus a stunt is 20, and then you can potentially buy 10 dice which is 30 dice.

My Exalted characters:

Comment

Yeah, but short daiklaives have +5 non-charm accuracy, +7 when clashing.

Surely that's better than an cat's +1 non-charm accuracy. Dex 5, Brawl 5, +1 spec maybe, +1 accuracy, +3 from this latent, is 14. With a stunt, 16, and up to 7 more charm dice, that's 24, is it not?

Whereas Dex 5, Melee 5, +1 spec, +5 non-charm accuracy for a daiklaive, +2 non-charm accuracy from two weapons in a clash, is 18 dice, plus a stunt is 20, and then you can potentially buy 10 dice which is 30 dice.
                      You can either Last Warrior's Unity Artifact Light Weapons onto the cat or use Wood Dragon's Claw which gives you paired Tigers Claw (are wood dragon claws considered paired light weapons?). So like I said, it's the Exalt with the artifact weapons + Cat's inherent +3 Charm bonus to attack.
                      Last edited by prototype00; 08-09-2019, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Ah, I see, yeah.

My Exalted characters:

Comment

ooo, go off to work and come back to some tantalizing answers to uptake!

Thanks gang!

Comment

I'm spacing out on where paired weapons (ie, identical claws, short daiklaves) give a Clash bonus. I know I saw it somewhere, haha! Do they just pick up the "two handed" tag in that case?

How is Death Kitty bringing in Ambush Hunter while having a Wood Dragon's Claw? Can she have the Claw going while a kitty (now that's a Lunar-grade idea to imagine!) or is she able to Ambush Hunt while in a human shape?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                              *looks both ways*

Crane Style.

I'd disregarded Crane as being defense rather than Clash, per se... but now that I'm reading through, the idea of defending hard and counterattacking is very much in theme! Thanks JD!

Comment

Working...
                              X