X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMA245
    started a topic Magical Girls in Exalted

Magical Girls in Exalted

Have you ever made a Magical Girl character or made a Magical Girl campaign?

• BrilliantRain
    replied
    Thinking about it mechanically, the most iconic aspect of a Magical Girl is the Transformation Sequence. This can be done by either buying artifact armor and weapons and taking the “send/retrieve them from elsewhere” charms or by taking the “produce weapons/armor from your own soul” charms. Or some combination of those.

If you wanted to emphasize a Magical Girl Exalted game, I’d encourage optional rules making the above charms easier to get: lowering their essence minimum and either removing prereqs or putting near duplicates into other trees. Like granting Solar Craft a charm that lets them store things they’ve personally constructed elsewhere or Solar Occult the ability to pull a spirit slaying artifact weapon from their own soul.

Alternately an Exigent that manifested their charms as weapons, objects, and tools might work. Instead of having attack boosting charm they manifest a weapon which can be enhanced. Instead of sense boosting charms, they pull binoculars from thin air. And so on.

Leave a comment:

• vampire hunter D
    replied
    *is now thinking of Queen Serenity as a soul of Gaia and two of her souls taking feline form.....

Leave a comment:

• Clophiroth
    replied
    Originally posted by pcontop View Post
    Kyubei - Demon of the 3rd Circle, Soul of She Who Lives In Her Name

The Unlying One, or Kyubei, is a Soul from She Who Lives in Her Name, has a form of a lovely plushie-like animal. He finds maidens from Creation and proposes them to realize for them one wish, in exchange of making them Magical Girls, and giving them one purpose. The exchange is completely fair, with the wishes being kept to the letter. The Maidens that accept are then remade, and are Given a Sacred Amulet that protects them from harm and allows them to transform into their Magical Forms, which have Exalted-like abilities.

The Magical Girls do get a Limit Break tracker. They are supposed to hunt and kill a Witch every Season and to use their Sacred Amulets to devour their corrupted energy, and failure to do so gives Limit. Over usage of their powers gives Limit. Also, great anguish gives Limit. What happens when the tracker is filled? That Kyubei doesn't specify, only that it's in their best interest that they avoid this.

Magical Girls do not age and do not suffer infirmities. They could, in fact, live forever, while saving Creation from the evil Witches. If his nature as a Demon if found, Kyubei will ask: Doesn't his actions show that not all 3rd Circle Souls are filled with malice and evil intent?

*starts working in a new villain for her current campaign*

Leave a comment:

• marin
    replied
    Originally posted by Elfive View Post
    Sounds like exalted modern, They worked different there.
    Yeah. In Modern, the Alchemical Exaltation is a physical object that bonds to a mortal host, and lets them manifest a biomechanical suit of body armor, Guyver-style.

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    Sounds like exalted modern, They worked different there.

Leave a comment:

• Uknown DarkLord
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
    The Alchemical (shy, quiet, glasses-wearing girl who was wheelchair bound) was always abusing her rapid transformation from mortal to Megaman so that she could keep her normal human life during the day and then be ready to fight for her life at a moment's notice. If she ever reached a tipping point where she was ready to sacrifice her normal life and leave her family, or her family and home was otherwise taken from her, she would start remaining in robot-girl form all of the time until her Essence finally rating recovered, thus resulting in her being stronger.
    Umm, Alchemicals are made, not born. So... what family?

Leave a comment:

• pcontop
    replied
    Kyubei - Demon of the 3rd Circle, Soul of She Who Lives In Her Name

The Unlying One, or Kyubei, is a Soul from She Who Lives in Her Name, has a form of a lovely plushie-like animal. He finds maidens from Creation and proposes them to realize for them one wish, in exchange of making them Magical Girls, and giving them one purpose. The exchange is completely fair, with the wishes being kept to the letter. The Maidens that accept are then remade, and are Given a Sacred Amulet that protects them from harm and allows them to transform into their Magical Forms, which have Exalted-like abilities.

The Magical Girls do get a Limit Break tracker. They are supposed to hunt and kill a Witch every Season and to use their Sacred Amulets to devour their corrupted energy, and failure to do so gives Limit. Over usage of their powers gives Limit. Also, great anguish gives Limit. What happens when the tracker is filled? That Kyubei doesn't specify, only that it's in their best interest that they avoid this.

Magical Girls do not age and do not suffer infirmities. They could, in fact, live forever, while saving Creation from the evil Witches. If his nature as a Demon if found, Kyubei will ask: Doesn't his actions show that not all 3rd Circle Souls are filled with malice and evil intent?

Leave a comment:

• Sunder the Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by The MG View Post
    I happen to know the guy who wrote that, and it turns out he still had the material on his Drive. Here you go, and here you go.
    Cool, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• The MG
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
    I think it was over at the Freedom Stone, or RPG.net, that someone posted their notes about a magical girl campaign set in the Exalted: Modern shard, which drew much inspiration from Madoka.

If I made any copies to my hard drive, I haven't yet found them.
    I happen to know the guy who wrote that, and it turns out he still had the material on his Drive. Here you go, and here you go.

Leave a comment:

• Sunder the Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by Elfive View Post
    Never done a campaign, but I did have an idea the other day that instead of dying when they made an exigent a god could just be reduced to a small mascot character.

Not unlike what happened to Kero in Cardcaptor Sakura.
    Alternatively, the god had familiars or personal godly servants, and you inherit these when he died.

Not unlike what happened with Kero and Yue when Clow Reed died.

Leave a comment:

• vampire hunter D
    replied
    I've always thought you could make the character from Mai-HiME/My-Otome into a dragonblooded school chronicle. With Miyu as a Moonsilver Alchemical.

Leave a comment:

• Croakamancer
    replied
    I've always been more tempted to use Magical Girls in Mage over Exalted: all that paradigm stuff, hidden identities, the different Spheres and how they cross over, it feels like a more solid fit I don't doubt you could do a magical girl-ish character in Exalted, but it'll be harder and you'd need to narrow things down a bit. Like, do you just want the fighting style? The transformation sequence? Spellcasting style effects? Mascots? You need a bit more of a firmer idea at the outset than with Mage, where Magical Girl is basically just gonna inform how your magic works.

(Incidentally, my Technocracy Science Girl is a character I will always treasure and want to get into a game sometime. )

Leave a comment:

• Simon Darkstep
    replied
    I was tempted to bring some Spec-Ops Asuka ideas into our next Chronicles of Darkness game...

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    Never done a campaign, but I did have an idea the other day that instead of dying when they made an exigent a god could just be reduced to a small mascot character.

Not unlike what happened to Kero in Cardcaptor Sakura.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X