Theory: The Hearts Hearteaters Eat Are People's Emotions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theory: The Hearts Hearteaters Eat Are People's Emotions

Ok,so. I've been looking at the questions thread for all the information I can find on hearteaters. And I've come up with a theory. Hearteaters are horrific in a body horror sense and horrific in a psikologikal horror sense. My theory is that They eat emotions,leaving their victims as completely emotionless people,and then they possess people's bodies or control them like puppets
    Do you think I might be right?

The possession or puppet control is what I think. But eating emotions would be the same as the Raksha.

Anyone seen the 3rd season of Stranger Things? Watching that made me think about Heart Eaters.

My characters:
    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
    Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

My theory is that where Lunars acquire other people's shapes, Hearteaters acquire both their shape and their mind. So when a Hearteater takes on the shape of a Duke they killed, they think and feel like that Duke (with their normal intimacies remaining somewhere at the back of their mind).

Which is why they're so good at the bodysnatcher horror, because when a Hearteater uses the Duke's shape to assassinate the Duke's wife, the Duke's Intimacies will cause them to behave the same way as the Duke even as they plunge the knife into their uncomprehending wife's chest.

Comment

A lunar can take the shape and all the memories of their victims, and pretend to have their intimacies (or get their intimacies to get their shape) so while that's possible, it still seems too similar.

My characters:
        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
        Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
          A lunar can take the shape and all the memories of their victims, and pretend to have their intimacies (or get their intimacies to get their shape) so while that's possible, it still seems too similar.
          Well there's a fine line between pretending to have someone's intimacies and actually having them, the difference between your final words being "you're not my husband!" and "why, I don't understand...".

Also Lunars need to actually adopt the target's intimacy, whereas in this case the Hearteater can gain and lose the target's intimacies at will.

Plus the devs have stated that Hearteaters, Umbrals & Dream-Souled don't have quite enough depth to them to warrant a full splat each, and that Hearteaters are a foil to Lunars, so it's possible that Hearteaters have a strong similarity to Lunars.

That said I'd love if they went another direction entirely, I'm just not sure how to do it without Hearteaters becoming Raksha lite.
          Last edited by Epitome; 08-12-2019, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Raksha eat emotions and leave their victims emotionless.
            Lunars copy people's forms. Often but not always by killing them.

I think possession or puppeteering, without either taking people's emotions or copying them as a seperate person, would make them very different.

For example, if the Hearteater eats someone's insides and then wears their body as a suit, it'd be similar to a Lunar. But if they eat their brain and then put a parasite inside so they can puppeteer their corpse at a distance, or if they psychically suck out people's will to resist and then mind-control them, with the original mind being trapped and terrified inside, then that's not really so similar.

My characters:

Comment

Puppeteering does sound like a good avenue and could make an interesting exalt. Plus bodysnatcher horror does involve multiple people turning on you in some cases, which would be possible if you can control multiple victims at a time.

I think the only reason I'm skeptical about it is because the name Hearteater doesn't really conjure the image of a puppetmaster in my mind, which is admitedly entirely subjective.

Comment

Vance's cited bodysnatcher-style horror as the inspiration for the Hearteaters, with the best movie inspiration being Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. They don't replace people like Lunars or turn them into emotionless husks like raksha; what they do is very much about the spiritual/mental.

We don't know quite why they have their name, only that it's a metaphorical thing.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

I've been thinking the Exaltation itself is parasitic, like, it has a distinct personality and jumps between hosts. Like a worse version of what uneducated Realm-folk believe "Anathema" are.

Comment

Yeah, that could work.

My characters:

Comment

Pardon the utter ignorance of someone who has been away of the forums for a few weeks, but where can bits of info and devs' commentary/thoughts on those so-called Hearteaters be found?

This particular topic has quite sparked my curiosity on the latest developments.
                      Last edited by Baaldam; 08-15-2019, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
                        Pardon the utter ignorance of someone who has been away of the forums for a few weeks, but where can bits of info and devs' commentary/thoughts on those so-called Hearteaters be found?

This particular topic has quite sparked my curiosity on the latest developments.
                        From the top of my head
                        They were created by an Incarna in the Divine revolution.
                        They weren't always the Heartearters,the war changed them
                        The inspiration for them is Body Snatchers and Firewalk with me
                        They are horrific
                        It's even harder to play an noble hearteater than an noble Abyssal or Infernal

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

As for where... Mostly tidbits gleamed from the Q&A thread

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

They're set to get an outline in Exigents for fans to homebrew their own, along with the Umbral Exalted and the Dream-Souled.

The lady with the aurora on the splash page on pp.54-55 of the Ex3 core is a Hearteater.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

As for where... Mostly tidbits gleamed from the Q&A thread

Is there any compilation of such tidbits perhaps?

Originally posted by marin View Post
                              They're set to get an outline in Exigents for fans to homebrew their own, along with the Umbral Exalted and the Dream-Souled.
                              Are there any guesstimates of when might that book eventually come out?

Originally posted by marin View Post
                              The lady with the aurora on the splash page on pp.54-55 of the Ex3 core is a Hearteater.
                              Hmmm, the lady that kind of reminds me of Manosque Cyan (at least in her demure Nellens dame persona), nice to know. Just one tells us about us much about the whole of them as a random pic of a Twilight or Full Moon would tell of Solars or Lunars as a whole, but that's never going to stop our wild mass guessing/preemptive homebrewing.
                              Last edited by Baaldam; 08-17-2019, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X