(WIP) Exalted Distilled: Reincarnated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (WIP) Exalted Distilled: Reincarnated

Alright, I've decided to take another stab and redoing Exalted 3e by picking back up "Exalted Distilled." ---it's not a "Lite" system, but rather a streamlining.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...4YcovcQ_AlOUS0

Overview of main differences:
    • Slightly changed Critical Success and Botch rules. Botches should be slightly more probable at larger die pool sizes. As well, introduced the "Botch Number" mechanic, which is an interesting hook for future antagonistic abilities. Probably Infernals.
    • Removed Willpower as a mechanic. Streamlining resources to keep track of.
    • "Initiative" has been renamed "Endurance." Because the name really irritated me.
    • Combat now relies more on static values, but should still retain a dynamic feel.
    • Redefined the Social Attributes. Charisma, Insight, and Composure are the main three.
      • Manipulation is being migrated into an ability.
      • Guile and Resolve redefined accordingly.
    • Abilities are explicitly described as "a selection anticipated to be most relevant," and explicitly not all-encompassing. If you want to make a completely new ability with a completely new charm tree, go for it.
    • Craft has been nuked from orbit.
    • the "Global" Charm-- a way to create and use custom charms on the fly. Intended to give more freedom and creativity to players, while still giving guidance.
      • Will probably be endlessly tweaking this. Needs to be robust enough to use, but not to the point of abuse.
    • "Esoteric" abilities Sorcery and Necromancy have replaced Occult. The mechanical way of becoming a Sorceror is to buy the ability dots, not the "charm" to do so. Narratively and xp-wise should work out to the same thing.
      • Turned the hard limitations of Sorcery and Necromancy circles into a soft limitation. GM's should decided how hard they want to enforce these limitations.
    • I'm fine with most of Sorcery. Small tweaks here and there and to get it to integrate with combat.
    TODO:
    • Decide how I'm handling Excellencies. I want there to be a mechanic--aside from just mote cost--on why you don't just use them every single round. Maybe add in a "recharge" rate? Only can be used every other round?
    • Replace Craft entirely.
    • "Projects" will be a way to roll all long-term projects into one system. Will be mostly based off of Sorcerous Workings. It would be how you do things like "raise an army" or "build a spy network". Anything that player characters do in their downtime, for any ability.
    • Smooth out Martial Arts requirements. I'm thinking they directly pair with the most relevant Ability, rather than having a dedicated "Martial Arts" ability. So most would be paired to brawl, melee, etc. Some of the weirder ones would be based off Socialize or Performance.
    • Streamline the entirety of the Solar Charmset.

If anyone wants to chat and brainstorm on this (monumental) task, I would love to do so.
    Last edited by Dragonmystic; 10-09-2019, 10:13 PM.

This file is in the bin. Did you replace it?

Comment

We all can agree that Exalted has a great bunch of cool ideas, and a very interesting setting.

I think the idea of a "lighter" version to play the game is very good. But, seeing that not much feedback has been given to Dragonmystic's project here makes me wonder how useful would this be to other Exalted players.

Join the Strife

Comment

Exalted is, and always has been, a hot mess. It's bloated and buggy with baggage that would bankrupt a budget airline.

Which means homebrew rewrites are also burdeoned by their source material.

Why would I, as ST, use your bloated, buggy, baggaged homebrew over the official game or my own homebrew? Why should I prefer a non-existent Craft system to the default? What reason do I possibly have for embracing Endurance over Initative?

Unless you've got a complete system which jives with my own interpretation of the game, I'm not going to use it. Unless your system is a marked improvement over the base game, I'm not going to use it.

The more changes you make to the game, the less likely you are to jive with people's headcanon on how Exalted should work. The fewer changes you make, the more likely your work will not be seen as an improvement. Put out incomplete work and people can't use it to run their games. Put out a complete work and you've got a system that's not been playtested.

I love reading people's homebrew and I'm very grateful for projects like this. But I literally can't use this system, which means I can't give constructive criticism. It's not that I'm not interested (I'd love a set of streamlined, dynamic rules), but I don't think this (or any other fan rewrite) is useful to me. YMMV.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          We all can agree that Exalted has a great bunch of cool ideas, and a very interesting setting.

I think the idea of a "lighter" version to play the game is very good. But, seeing that not much feedback has been given to Dragonmystic's project here makes me wonder how useful would this be to other Exalted players.
          I wouldn't quite call Reincarnated a lighter version though, it's more an attempt to fix common annoyances and inconsistencies in the Core plus a few new cool ideas because why not.

Which I think is why the project is receiving limited feedback. The mod doesn't seem to have a clear goal beyond "make the game cooler", so it ends up feeling more like an ST's collected homebrew rather than a system rework intended for general use.

I feel some hard decisions need to be made to focus on 1 goal and then cut everything that isn't necessary for that goal, before the mod can really get somewhere. That's just my 2 cents though.

Comment

Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
            This file is in the bin. Did you replace it?
            I can access the link just fine, so I'm not sure what the problem might be?

Comment

This is called a Streamlining, but just from glancing through the rules it doesn't seem to 'streamline' anything. You're just replacing different systems with other systems, ones that don't feel that fun or any simpler or easier to deal with.

The parts that are the most straightforward and less mathematically complicated are the things being taken from Ex3. So we get a system that's one part Ex3, one part "I've removed several things that were fun and engaging about Ex3", and a couple parts "I got nothing to actually replace the actual weaker areas of Ex3, but Maybe Someday". The only additions and homebrew actually require MORE math and fiddling than the stuff they're replacing. It can't even do streamlining right.

I think this is getting so little feedback because frankly, not only is it a doc of Minor Homebrew, but it's not even very good homebrew. The only actual thing that could be seen as improving the game would be the inclusion of a Bureaucratic Project system, which felt like it was planned but not put in the corebook. So that I suppose is an improvement, in that it went up against nothing.

Are there improvements to places where I thought the Ex3 system fell short? Well... There's no Sailing Mechanic to replace the one in the book. There's no Craft system yet, just the promise that one's coming, but what I see here doesn't inspire me with a lot of confidence of the new proposed Craft being that great. There's mentions of a Mass Combat rework which, 2e's Mass Combat got nuked and replaced with Battlegroups in Regular Combat, and I felt that worked fine.

The combat system looks dull, and I feel like the statement "Combat uses static values but should still FEEL dynamic" is a goddamn lie. It's like Starfinder combat, with two HP bars, one of which recovers faster outside of combat, and that was no more engaging than any other d20 combat. At least Ex3's Initiative Combat allows for some back and forth between combatants. Hell, there's not even any wound penalties to represent a weakening foe, which again, very d20.

tl;dr: Was promised a streamlining of Ex3, I got removal of parts I liked, next to no improvements on parts I didn't, and promises that actual improvements are coming later.
              Last edited by Kyman201; 10-04-2019, 04:30 AM.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I'm not good at mechanics at all. But in my experience, I think Exalted's system, specially the combat engine, could benefit from reducing the number of variables. I can't say how to do it, but I think that the combat steps could be reduced, there could be a way in which the raw damage to dice of damage could be optimized. As you see, I'm being that fool that points at a problem but does not offer any solution.

Dunno... maybe withering attacks just hit and make a pre-defined amount of initiative damage accoriding to an "extra successes threshold table" or something. And keep more complex soak, hardness, etc steps to decisives, which can kill you.

Sorry none of this is supposed to be a functional proposal. I can't do that. But I don't play exalted weekly as I did as a teenager, so sometimes one or two months pass between sessions, and having to refresh my brain of aaaaaall the things in Exalted is painful... and every day I'm having more and more trouble convincing my friends to play Ex3 instead of any other simpler game.

Join the Strife

Comment

Oh, right. I posted here.
                  Link is moved to a folder:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VP...4YcovcQ_AlOUS0

First playtest was helpful. System was still too complicated, took a bunch of notes that you can see

Now I'm working to migrate it to a google docs, while encorporating the changes pulled from playtesting.

you guys are bitter and negative all the time. I remember why I never post here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonmystic View Post
                    Oh, right. I posted here.
                    Link is moved to a folder:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VP...4YcovcQ_AlOUS0

First playtest was helpful. System was still too complicated, took a bunch of notes that you can see

Now I'm working to migrate it to a google docs, while encorporating the changes pulled from playtesting.

you guys are bitter and negative all the time. I remember why I never post here.
                    Sorry you got piled on a bit there, let's try to engage more constructively if you like.

-What is the goal of the rules rewrite? The intro presents the daunting nature of Exalt rules as inspiration, but immediately follows by stating that Distilled is not a "Lite" system, so it's difficult to figure out. Say someone asks me to describe the system in a short sentence, what should I tell them?

-Is the system mostly for yourself and your groups or is the main goal to be something that appeals to a broad group of players?

-Are you looking for feedback on the concept as a whole, or would you rather people focus on reviewing individual mechanics and whether they break anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Epitome View Post

Sorry you got piled on a bit there, let's try to engage more constructively if you like.

-What is the goal of the rules rewrite? The intro presents the daunting nature of Exalt rules as inspiration, but immediately follows by stating that Distilled is not a "Lite" system, so it's difficult to figure out. Say someone asks me to describe the system in a short sentence, what should I tell them?

-Is the system mostly for yourself and your groups or is the main goal to be something that appeals to a broad group of players?

-Are you looking for feedback on the concept as a whole, or would you rather people focus on reviewing individual mechanics and whether they break anything?
                      I'm mostly trying to drive up enthusiasm about the project. Get people together, try to build something interesting. See if it works, if not, cycle and repeat.

The project is meant to be for people who like the lore of Exalted, but are turned off by the complexity. They want something of a "middling" amount of complexity--more levers to pull than a Lite system (Godbound covers that space nicely enough).

The project is going to be bad until it's finally good. Like everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Exalted Reincarnated Preface
                        Exalted Reincarnated intends to be a rebuild of the entire system and setting from the root to the leaves, as though it were a completely new edition. It is intended to hit the “sweet spot” of complexity, working to take the best elements of narrative-focused Lite systems while still providing a satisfying density of mechanics to guide a group through their adventures
                        Oh wait you're creating an entire fanmade edition? That explains why there are rule changes all over the place. I think that's an epic project to undertake and wish you luck. I've gone through the main document and added comments and suggestions.

One thing that isn't clear to me is the mechanic where everyone has to pick a Martial Arts at chargen. Is this like normal 3e except everyone gets 1 Martial Arts for free, or is it a more dramatic change in what MAs are and/or do?

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonmystic View Post
                          For the record, I was just answering Gonzo's complaint on why no-one was commenting on your project. I thought you'd quit this forum, to be honest.

Sorry for the negativity.

I was sincere when I said I love reading people's homebrew and I'm very grateful for projects like this, I'm interested and would love a set of streamlined yet dynamic rules.

If you're still working on this, it'd be gratefully received. You're right that creation is a process and everything is bad until it's good -- please don't take any negativity personally.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                            For the record, I was just answering Gonzo's complaint on why no-one was commenting on your project. I thought you'd quit this forum, to be honest.

Sorry for the negativity.

I was sincere when I said I love reading people's homebrew and I'm very grateful for projects like this, I'm interested and would love a set of streamlined yet dynamic rules.

If you're still working on this, it'd be gratefully received. You're right that creation is a process and everything is bad until it's good -- please don't take any negativity personally.
                            I was mostly talking about Kyman's post, because it was the same sentiment I got every single time I tried to get any engagement or disussion going about ideas, people like them pop up.

"Ohohoho, I am so smart. Look at me, taking a bad faith argument about everything. Oh lookit me, I'm going to just insult and put down for no reason." It's not even mean criticism--there's nothing useful in that entire post! Just complaints and whining that I'm *creating something*.

And it's like that *constantly* with the Exalted fanbase, which continuously drives me away. I left the discord channel because I realized I had been arguing over a hour about my plan to just discard Craft--and I wasn't even trying to discuss craft or its replacement at the moment. But there I had been going around in circles like "Craft will be rewritten, probably with a long term 'Projects' sort of thing" "But what about Craftsman Needs no tools?1?1?1" "Uhhhhh....I dunno. It's not written yet. probably will be less powerful." "But then everything won't work!" "It's going to be a new system...." Just on and on and on like that for over an hour, repeated in cycles. Didn't even want to talk about Craft yet because I was trying to get combat hammered out.

It's just a real problem. The forum keeps having those types of posts and posters it drives people away. I know it did for me.

---------------
                            @Epitome.
                            Still feeling the Martial Arts thing out to see if it works, it's a new, but exciting idea.

I've scrapped "Martial Arts" as an ability, it now just descends from individual abilities, like charms. This is going to be cool when combined with my other changes: the Esoteric Abilities that are unique to exalts. Air dragon MA will descend from the Air Ability. Some sort of Prototype shuffling monstrosity style will descend from Shapeshifting.

But my idea is that each Martial arts will define their weapon on purchase of the style. Most will be pretty normal, but then you get the Nightengale Style with their Kais. Everyone should be able to do something in combat.

One of the problems with Exalted that has gone on unaddressed is the problem of specialization. It's not a bad thing to have spotlights and places where characters have shine, but more often than not what I see is "Oh it's combat and my character is non-combat. Let me tune out for the next two hours" and "Oh great a social scene. My guy is just going to....stand there. Intimidatingly."

Comment

Specialty Abilities

Specialty Abilities are a focused subgroup of a particular ability-such as the Swords Ability as a specialty of Melee.

snip

The first Three Ratings of a Specialty Ability is shared with its parent Ability, and do not need to be bought again with xp. Ratings Four and above are calculated as normal.
                              Since the system means to be less complex than normal 3e, I would be wary of adding multiple sub-abilities to track on top of the existing 20+ basic abilities. Maybe it could be based on vanilla Specialties, so i.e. when you buy the "Crane Style" Melee Specialty you can learn Crane Style Charms?

Comment

Working...
                              X