X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TVTropes on Mnemon

So I dislike TVTropes, but I couldn't resist:

Originally posted by TVTropes on Mnemon
    Dark Magical Girl: Third Edition makes her an adult one; the trauma of her childhood actually burned out her ability to form Kinships, and everything she does is to prove that she is her mother's most loyal and competent living daughter.
    Does anyone have any idea where this idea that Mnemon can't form Kinships comes from?

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

It's probably because I'm a bit conceited, but to me it reads like a distortion of a notion I had about Mnemon's psychology when first reading the book.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
      It's probably because I'm a bit conceited, but to me it reads like a distortion of a notion I had about Mnemon's psychology when first reading the book.
      Well... not to inflate your ego but you are kinda the "voice" of these forums.

Because I have a ton of actual work to do, you can practically guarentee that I'm going to waste my time searching for the post. Any chance you can rob me of the excuse to procrastinate and link me?

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

I generally enjoy reading TVTropes, but I can't explain this one. I don't remember anything mentioned about Mnemon and Kinships in particular, but if anything, Third Edition made Mnemon seem like a considerably more decent person than she appeared in previous editions. She's ruthless and ambitious, but succeeding her mother isn't remotely the only thing she cares about.

It wouldn't be crazy to think that Mnemon's relationship with Ragara made it hard for her to trust her peers, but I don't believe the books say anything of the sort.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
          Well... not to inflate your ego but you are kinda the "voice" of these forums.
          Noooo I'm not.

Noimnotnoimnotnoimnotnoimnot.

Originally posted by JohnDoe244
          Because I have a ton of actual work to do, you can practically guarentee that I'm going to waste my time searching for the post. Any chance you can rob me of the excuse to procrastinate and link me?
          That would be here:

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...60#post1200760

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

So I took a peek at her writeup in the Dragon-Blood handbook... And frankly either the Troper saw that post from Levi and put too much stock in it, or they just made it up whole-cloth, because her writeup doesn't mention Kinships or a lack thereof. Nothing about her having had any, certainly nothing about her inability to form more.

Shocker, someone on TVTropes being full of bologna. :P

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I looked through the page history to find the culprit and yeah, p.much.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                Shocker, someone on TVTropes being full of bologna. :P
                Don't get me started. I could derail the thread with tales of the site founder's catfishing and pseudicide antics.

Comment

I'm not even sure how it's much of a relevant detail for the particular trope that it's been attached to (which I don't think is an inaccurate category for Mnemon).

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                    I'm not even sure how it's much of a relevant detail for the particular trope that it's been attached to (which I don't think is an inaccurate category for Mnemon).
                    Well, time to commission someone to draw Mnemon as some kind of villainous Magical Girl. It will be right up there with Mnemon on a Velocipede

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

what would her magical animal guide be?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

Well, time to commission someone to draw Mnemon as some kind of villainous Magical Girl. It will be right up there with Mnemon on a Velocipede
                        Par don?

Wait a minute...

{spot check}

Okay, so I got Dark Magical Girl mixed up with Lady of Black Magic, neither of which are to be confused with Black Magician Girl.

Stuff like this is why, after it existing for about a decade, it's actually super easy to walk away from TV Tropes at will.

Having looked up the meaning of the trope, I see why it was attached to that non-fact, but no longer agree with it being there... unless maybe it's something that touches on a person generally having a certain mournful character.

But no, as written across What Fire Has Wrought, Mnemon is not deeply afraid of being alone. She might have trust issues (might being the operative word), but is still depicted as being very personally invested in the lives of her extended family.

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
                          what would her magical animal guide be?
                          A very tiny Pasiap, cursed into a lesser form after a humiliating defeat against an Anathema circle.

Because if they can kill Primordials and make Neverborn never doubt the dark bullshit Solars might do to beings even as mighty as the Elemental Dragons.

Comment

TVtropes is never an ideal medium for communicating setting information, but the Exalted page is risibly bad, full of half-baked fanon, misapprehensions and the occasional sliver of pure nonsense. I know at least two people who got into Exalted through that page and were burdened with some very odd ideas about how Creation works.

If we have any tropers on here who know their stuff, that place could really do with a cleanup and update.
                            Last edited by Crumplepunch; 08-21-2019, 09:37 AM.

Currently writing for Exigents.

Comment

Working...
                            X