The Syndics and Solars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Syndics and Solars

Question. For Solars new to Whitewall is it plausible to say that they would assign a sort of "handler" to the Solar? Someone to help the Solar know the laws of the city, but also to try and aim the Solars' energies at approved projects? Like for example trying to get Dawns to join the Guardians, Twilights to help research old lore or get them involved in teaching thaumaturgy or sorcery schools; that sort of thing?

Or what tools would the Syndics use to try and keep the Solars from trying to usurp control from them? There is the small immaculate order contingent that might be called upon to bring a Wyld hunt if things get too out of order. But is there anything else?

Damn, for a moment i misread the title as "The Syndics AS Solars" and it got me imagining a Solar, probably with Occult Supernal, passing itself as a spirit or outright taking the identity & place of an already established one. Not exactly starting PC concept, but could be pretty chilling to use in a game i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post
      Question. For Solars new to Whitewall is it plausible to say that they would assign a sort of "handler" to the Solar? Someone to help the Solar know the laws of the city, but also to try and aim the Solars' energies at approved projects?
      I would say it's not only plausible, it's outright likely.

Or what tools would the Syndics use to try and keep the Solars from trying to usurp control from them?
      Well, that's a thornier issue; the Syndics only rule Whitewall because it's not got a big spotlight from on high. Given their secret natures as such potent beings in the Celestial Bureaus, I imagine that if a Solar starts getting too uppity, they'd go to their heavenly contacts and see about discreetly pointing some Sidereals at them.
      Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 09-01-2019, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Question. For Solars new to Whitewall is it plausible to say that they would assign a sort of "handler" to the Solar? Someone to help the Solar know the laws of the city, but also to try and aim the Solars' energies at approved projects? Like for example trying to get Dawns to join the Guardians, Twilights to help research old lore or get them involved in teaching thaumaturgy or sorcery schools; that sort of thing?

Or what tools would the Syndics use to try and keep the Solars from trying to usurp control from them? There is the small immaculate order contingent that might be called upon to bring a Wyld hunt if things get too out of order. But is there anything else?

To answer your question OP, then I would initially say that it entirely depends on how you want to play the syndics. Are they weary, afraid that a solar might come and ruin their great project? Or perhaps they're happy to hand over the reins to a worthy sun-chosen heir?

That will chiefly define how they'll respond to solars showing up in town.

A state-sponsered guide would make sense, but again that could be a north-korea style handler who tries to keep players away from touchy things, or a more neutral guide who'll just help players find things they're looking for. You choose.

As for getting dawns to join the guardians... why would a dawn caste want to 'merely' join the local local police? A dawn caste could lead their entire armed forces, a night caste could be a secret agent of the state.

If done right, the syndics and whitewall could make for really great home-base managers, while players venture out on adventure from there. Like, M to 007, or Charlie to his angels. You know, use them as quest givers: "These Haslanti jokers are up to something, go figure it out" or "That shadowland just south of us? Could you plz fix that?" and so on

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

I would say it depends on the Solar's degree of ambition in relation to the city, awareness of its history & properties - and degree of discretion. To do something about a Solar, for good or for ill, the Syndics need to know it is snooping around. And some of them can be quite discrete and inconspicuous if they want to. But how much knowledge or interest the exalt actually has in the city - or the Syndics are amenable to offer - should certainly play a major role in their interactions.

Well, i would say the essentials any cagey ruler in Creation may count to a lesser or major degree:
          - pointing the dragon-bloodded at it.
          - using mercenary outcaste assassins/sorcerers/warriors.
          - getting help from acccords with a variety of spirits (elementals, gods, demons).
          - make deals with other supernatural beings (like the ghosts and fae that prowl close to the sacred road and have some sort of treat with them).

And so on.... I think you get the idea. With the added bonus that being quite puissant spirits themselves (supposing one uses the canon answer to their identity that is - who's to say they are not something quite different in your game?) they have the knowledge and power to get their hands in much better connections and agents than the average mortal despot with a thaumaturgist/sorcerer vizier.

That said, favors have strings atttached - one does not ask for Octavian on first contact with a recent arrived exalt "just in case", having to account for whatever might be its price. Same goes for some ghostly overlord/priest, fae jarl, elemental prince & etc making or paying some underhanded stuff for the sake of the Syndics.

Also, remember the Syndics are (at least by canon) a trio of allied but independent individuals each with its own personality, opinions and preferences. They might develop different degrees of interest, trust and attachmment to solars (or any other individual for that matter) that will color their agendas and may lead to the occasional bit of action at cross-purposes and/or conflict to balance out (or not).
          Last edited by Baaldam; 09-03-2019, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
            Well, that's a thornier issue; the Syndics only rule Whitewall because it's not got a big spotlight from on high.
            Isn't that because they've bribed the Northern Censor and are blackmailing Kejop?

Originally posted by webkilla View Post
            To answer your question OP, then I would initially say that it entirely depends on how you want to play the syndics. Are they weary, afraid that a solar might come and ruin their great project? Or perhaps they're happy to hand over the reins to a worthy sun-chosen heir?
            I'd say in between. Eager for Solar assistance, but cautious. They like this gig, and don't want to give it up. They're too rich from the prayers of the city.

As for getting dawns to join the guardians... why would a dawn caste want to 'merely' join the local local police? A dawn caste could lead their entire armed forces, a night caste could be a secret agent of the state.
            More I reckon they want to get to know the Solars first before putting them in high positions of trust.

Thanks for the other suggestions though. Definitely going to see if I can implement them.

Comment

I'd say in between. Eager for Solar assistance, but cautious. They like this gig, and don't want to give it up. They're too rich from the prayers of the city.
              that's one way to spin it

I would think that since they're the gods good health, good luck and... I can't remmeber the third one - but they're already three popular and powerful gods - all the worship from a single large city shouldn't make much of a different to them

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

Originally posted by webkilla View Post
                I can't remmeber the third one
                Peace. Good luck, health, and peace.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                  Peace. Good luck, health, and peace.

three things you really don't want to mess with

that and the god of diahreaa, but nobody likes him to begin with

Comment

Player reputation is also factor Syndicts will take into account.
                    Longer term they will try learn (by hanndlers who will be interested in PC chistory/achievents) and perhaps send agents to some places mentioned to verify accounts.
                    Also they may prepre tests (or have already prepared since recent burst of solar activity is known problem) there will be no wrong/bad results this would be to measure PC , may be their empathy, selfinterest and how loyal they are to each other (no outright proposals to go against someone just more beneficial/easy route for solving prolem that could clash with other PC). Hanndlers may be very usefull for setting up PC in such situation/situations.

Comment

I think that if Third Edition goes with an idea that the Syndics are very definitely secret identities of a collection of otherwise widely known deities, it still won't continuously reference the true identities, so that should maybe be approached as a non-starter for how their power is maintained.

Managing Solars does seem like something that would benefit from having an intermediary, both to have a figure that can be dedicated full-time to communicating the official will to them and in creating a layer of separation from the Syndics themselves. That's useful both for preserving a mystique around the mysterious ruling gods, and a basis for keeping away from people who might be physically dangerous.

With such an intermediary character, there can be approaches of either having a single person who has the post as long as possible, and continuously rising them. Both have their advantages and disadvantages; the same person continuously can develop a stronger rapport and understanding of the Exalted, allowing a more sophisticated and proactive management style, but it might make them susceptible to having their loyalties (or at least priorities) flipped.

Other than that, of say the most plausible and satisfying narrative in which the Syndics attempt to maintain their hold on power is focused on continuously reinforcing their own presence and authority among the people of Whitewall (or its respective factions of importance), ensuring that they remain invested in the status quo in a manner that Solars ought to be challenged to win over. That and undercutting people that the Solars have already won over.

The Storyteller might want to establish a threshold past which the Syndics would want to cut their losses and turn their military and mystical power against removing the Solars altogether.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Threshold idea is fine but Syndics strike me as persons using militar/naked force as absolute last thing. Their first thing would be to reduce effectiveness/ ease of operating in city or taping into city resources (even if this is just making trade with merchans)
                        Last edited by Ludek; 09-06-2019, 09:28 AM.

Comment

I agree; even if it's necessary, the Gods of Health, Peace and Good Luck probably have, over their time in these positions, probably not become the kind of personalities who respond to problems with assassination and murder squads. At least, not until really pushed.

I think Baaldam made a couple of really good points;
                          Originally posted by Baaldam
                          I would say it depends on the Solar's degree of ambition in relation to the city, awareness of its history & properties - and degree of discretion. To do something about a Solar, for good or for ill, the Syndics need to know it is snooping around. And some of them can be quite discrete and inconspicuous if they want to. But how much knowledge or interest the exalt actually has in the city - or the Syndics are amenable to offer - should certainly play a major role in their interactions.
                          A sensible Solar may not be known to be a Solar; they may just seem like a very skilled warrior, extremely canny merchant, etc. If the Syndics don't know someone is a Solar, they'll act the same towards them as other mortals.

And it also depends on the Solar's views towards the city. A Solar born and raised in a middle-class family in Whitewall is likely to be treated differently to a barbarian raider who turns up with 100 vikings and claims they just want a nice holiday in the city (but they want to keep all their weapons). A priest of Uvanuvu who exalts as a Zenith is going to be treated with much more trust than a priest of Voharun.

Also, remember the Syndics are (at least by canon) a trio of allied but independent individuals each with its own personality, opinions and preferences.
                          Indeed, and their portfolios are going to factor into that. Their portfolios don't really contradict each other much, but they do have different areas of interest. The God of Health is going to be really excited by a Solar doctor in a way the other two are not. A Night Caste who sneaks around poisoning warmongerers and arms merchants in order to ensure stability in the land, or a Sorcerer who unleashes a magical plague on the armies of the Bull of the North so they can't invade, are going to be quite attractive to the God of Peace, but not the God of Health.

My characters:
                          Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                          Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
                          Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                            I agree; even if it's necessary, the Gods of Health, Peace and Good Luck probably have, over their time in these positions, probably not become the kind of personalities who respond to problems with assassination and murder squads. At least, not until really pushed.
                            They feed criminals to the Fair Folk and the dead as a matter of course.

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz
                            Indeed, and their portfolios are going to factor into that. Their portfolios don't really contradict each other much, but they do have different areas of interest. The God of Health is going to be really excited by a Solar doctor in a way the other two are not. A Night Caste who sneaks around poisoning warmongerers and arms merchants in order to ensure stability in the land, or a Sorcerer who unleashes a magical plague on the armies of the Bull of the North so they can't invade, are going to be quite attractive to the God of Peace, but not the God of Health.
                            That's a lot more rigid then divine portfolios tend to be. Other parts of Second Edition fiction depicted those gods as being willing to withhold their purviews of pushed; that was indeed a threat they were depicted as holding over the Sidereals as part of securing their position.

So I suppose that if one wanted to go with those specific gods as being identities beneath the icy assistance of the Syndics, they can always get Solars who push to far too back of by revealing themselves and portending a grim future for the city.

I believe that Compass North also presented an idea that having spent so long under the identity of the Syndics was having a strange effect on those gods; making them less individual, less who they had been before.

[/QUOTE]

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

They feed criminals to the Fair Folk and the dead as a matter of course.
                              Yes. Criminals.

Don't @ me.
                              Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-06-2019, 05:55 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Working...
                              X