X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wizard of Oz
    started a topic Charms for a Lunar beast-king

Charms for a Lunar beast-king

Essentially, I'm writing up the stats for King Arcturus, my Lunar game's Changing Moon elder/moot-holder/quest-giver. So far I've just been kind of winging it, as he hasn't had to do much besides hand out plot to the PCs, but I've got some free time so I thought I ought to stat him up properly.
    (There's also his chief shaman, a stag-totem No Moon, but I played a Lunar shaman before so I'm quite familiar with their charms in that area.)

He was once Jarl of a clan of merchants/farmers/occasional vikings called Clan Dragon-Bull. When the serpent-ships of the elven Prince Níðhöggr invaded the lands of the Five Clans, he won the respect of the gods and jarls of the other Four Clans, united them under him as King, and drove the goblin horde back to the sea. He made peace with the witch-queens of Xor and the Empire of Iscomay. Since then, the land has been at peace, until recently when a whole bunch of things have suddenly gone wrong, hence him holding a Moot as an excuse to get other Lunar (PCs) to come and help him.

I've read through the Lunar charms a couple of times, so I've got some idea of what's going on. But I haven't quite got the hang of them. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for things particularly useful for a Lunar king.

So far I'm thinking there's the Territory charms in Wits/Charisma, and War charms at the end of almost every tree. And I think there's a lot of Charisma charms that interact with people's cultures, which could be useful, but I'm not really familiar with them, and they're a bit difficult to navigate. Anything you think particularly stands out?

Are there any charms for stuff like being good at administration? Or making your populace more law-abiding and industrious?

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Anyway, depending on the kind of king one wants to be, Perception is also pretty good for seeing through many eyes. Intelligence has storyteller instructor stuff that can be beneficial to cultivating certain expertise and ideas.

Charisma can reinforce certain values, but Appearance is has a lot of where one wants to go in order to control the narrative around oneself. Come to think of it, Manipulation can also be very good for somebody in charge of a society; Charisma can establish and reinforce values, but Manipulation empowers acting contrary to them without people holding that against you, which can help one function pragmatically without needing cynicism.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    There's a lot of idioms that are quite a stretch, tbh.
    To be fair, some of them get warped by the years - for instance, it was once a popular idiom to say, when doing something that flies in the face of a certain dead person's philosophy, that it was enough to make them turn over in their grave. But increasingly it seems that's not impressive enough, so now their bodies are spinning in their graves, and do so fast enough that folks muse about the humorous contraptions one could power by hooking said restless cadavers up to a turbine.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    There's a lot of idioms that are quite a stretch, tbh.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

* Even as idioms go, I just do not get "double-edged sword". What, was a Medieval Knight supposed to have been handed their arming sword and ruefully contemplate "this thing may very well bounce back and kill me"?
    Maybe the idiom took form in post-renaissance times, when sabers and other one-edged blades become more popular and medieval ones started to be seen as less pratical? Just a thought.
    Last edited by Baaldam; 08-23-2019, 12:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by The MG View Post
    I don't think it warrants switching to Manipulation, but there are a few early Manipulation Charms that could serve him well, such as Inexplicable Mystery Incarnation (p. 284), Cat-Eyed Enticement (p. 297), and Sublime Façade Art (p. 298).
    Good choices, thanks!

That gives him 31 charms, I think that's enough for Essence 3. Thanks for the tips guys!

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by prototype00 View Post
    For combat might I suggest the Predator’s Menace (Predator’s Majesty in this case) Crash-All-The-Things as a fun round 1 combat tactic?
    It's a very good tactic, but a bit too good; I don't want him overshadowing the PCs. One way is to make him physical-tertiary and not that great at fighting; as a Lunar, he's easily good enough to beat an average viking, but he still needs to recruit a PC Full Moon to be his royal champion and fight a duel against a mighty god-blood warrior next session (Krove the Tiger-Bull refused, but Olaf Keelbreaker's player missed the session, so he's thinking about it).
    If he was good at fighting himself, he wouldn't need the PCs to do it for him.
    Also, one of the PCs is a gorilla-totem Lunar with a lot of Charisma charms for intimidation.

I don't think any of the PCs have the Culture charms (one PC has intimidation charms, another has trickery, another has love-me charms), or any territories (one has the charm, but hasn't used it yet), or a warrior lodge of minotaurs who passed mysterious trials deep in the forest, so this build isn't overshadowing any PCs in their areas.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi
    The other side is that it encourages them to descend into the masses and insinuate themselves into the circulatory systems of those social units.

A Lunar king is rather good at doing that walking among the people in disguise. They're also pretty good at leaving behind a proxy who looks identical to them.
    Very much so. Most of their social charms actually require them to go and talk to people directly.

* Even as idioms go, I just do not get "double-edged sword". What, was a Medieval Knight supposed to have been handed their arming sword and ruefully contemplate "this thing may very well bounce back and kill me"?
    My short research says it didn't appear in English until the 15th century. Obviously there's the Bible verse "for the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit", which is older. But that doesn't have the same meaning as the idiom.

Apparently though, Arabic has a similar phrase (and I guess scimitars are single-edged, though I'm not sure actually), so maybe we copied it from Arabic.

Leave a comment:

• The MG
    replied
    I could change his Caste attribute from Appearance to Manipulation, if there's some Manipulation charms you think would be useful. I don't really see him as very manipulative though
    I don't think it warrants switching to Manipulation, but there are a few early Manipulation Charms that could serve him well, such as Inexplicable Mystery Incarnation (p. 284), Cat-Eyed Enticement (p. 297), and Sublime Façade Art (p. 298).

Leave a comment:

• prototype00
    replied
    For combat might I suggest the Predator’s Menace (Predator’s Majesty in this case) Crash-All-The-Things as a fun round 1 combat tactic?

You need an animal form with an intimidate pool tho.

I had a build...

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...04#post1293704
    Last edited by prototype00; 08-23-2019, 06:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    What do you mean by indoor?
    I mean influence, and my goddamn phone can only properly read typing inputs half the time.

I'll tell you, discovering how I can type by running my finger around the keyboard is a... thing with drawbacks*; sure it's way faster in a manner that makes it a lot more convenient to type lengthy posts on this device, but I'm a bit more reliant on its word database and it'll often assemble shorter words from letters that are next to the ones that I aimed at.

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz
    I suspected so. It's a reasonable hole for them to have in their charmset, like captaining a ship or building magitech or curing the Great Contagion.
    I'll just give him a decent bureaucracy score and excellencies.
    The other side is that it encourages them to descend into the masses and insinuate themselves into the circulatory systems of those social units.

A Lunar king is rather good at doing that walking among the people in disguise. They're also pretty good at leaving behind a proxy who looks identical to them.

I thought there were a bunch of Strength and Stamina-based War charms, but when I looked through them again I realised it's just that loads of War charms are Protean.
    Yes, need to have some way to ensure that Full Moons aren't left out.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    I'd already found True-to-the-Pack and Shepherd Wolf Vigil (and Silver Heart Faith, while a decent charm, is just about your ties to individuals rather than a culture as a whole; though often that's the nature of kingship, which is quite personal). I stopped reading at the charms about resisting the Wyld, as I didn't realise there were more applicable ones after that, thanks for pointing out Argent-Etched Taboo; that's actually an amazing charm!

These are the charms I've picked so far. There's room for a few more, as I'll go for Essence 3 (which some charms need), if you guys have any more ideas.
    I could change his Caste attribute from Appearance to Manipulation, if there's some Manipulation charms you think would be useful. I don't really see him as very manipulative though.

Excellencies
    Strength Excellency
    Charisma Excellency
    Appearance Excellency
    Intelligence Excellency
    Wits Excellency
    Universal (Favoured)
    Chimera-Soul Expression (Serpentine, 2pt scales)
    Strength (Favoured)
    Angry Rhino Charge
    Ferocious Biting Tooth
    Appearance (Favoured)
    Subtle Silver Declaration
    Charisma (Favoured)
    Boundary-Marking Meditation (Prosperous, Peaceful, Fertile)
    Moon-and-Earth Blessing
    Pack Leader Attitude
    Fearless Beast-Warrior Exhortation
    Vengeful Beast Triumph
    Lessons of the Winter Wolf
    Wolf Pack Training Tactics
    Argent Songbird Voice
    Poised Lion Attitude
    Beast King Dictates
    Guiding the Flock
    Herd-Strengthening Invocation
    Herd-Reinforcing Stance
    Argent Revelry Festival

Taboo-Enforcing Beast
    Culture Hero Empowerment
    Intelligence (Favoured)
    Crossroads Walker Entreaty
    Ardent Prayers Fulfilled
    Devil-Pleasing Chiminage
    Predator's Deadly Cunning
    Flesh-Sculpting Art
    Sharing Luna's Gifts
    Beast-Soul Awakening Crucible

Wits
    True-to-the-Pack Dedication (+Shepherd Wolf Vigil)
    Argent-Etched Taboo

Leave a comment:

• The MG
    replied
    I recommend the "positive" side of the Wits (Resolve) cascade: True-to-the-Pack Dedication, Shepherd Wolf Vigil, Silver Heart Faith, Sacred Guardian Renewal, and Argent-Etched Taboo.
    Appointment of culture heroes, enhanced indoor stuff for getting people to uphold traditions that you have Intimacies towards, and being able to empower oneself as a furious monster to safeguard one's chosen society.
    These are Culture Hero Empowerment (page 203 of the compiled manuscript), Guiding the Flock (p. 192) and the Charms building from it, and Divine Monster Judgement (p. 209). All of them are in Charisma.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    How high is his Essence?
    Tbh, it doesn't matter exactly, but I reckon as a man who's been a Lunar for 20 years, probably 2 or 3 is reasonable. Could do 4, but it seems a bit high. I liked the idea of giving him the Essence 5 charm that bonds you with the land, giving you extra health levels, but taking wounds damages the land. But I think Essence 5 is a bit too powerful for an NPC in an Essence 1 game, especially when he's not that old. True Voice (the 400 year-old founder of Iscomay) has featured in the game and likely will again in the story arc after next (as the game's setting is north of Iscomay), and I'd like to make her more powerful than him, by being, say, Essence 4.

enhanced indoor stuff for getting people to uphold traditions that you have Intimacies towards,
    What do you mean by indoor?

Not particularly. Maybe the latter can be approximated by developing those things as a tradition or social value that other Charisma stuff can play off of, but administrative things are not quite in the Lunars wheelhouse.
    I suspected so. It's a reasonable hole for them to have in their charmset, like captaining a ship or building magitech or curing the Great Contagion.
    I'll just give him a decent bureaucracy score and excellencies.

War Charms are at the end of the Appearance, Charisma and Intelligence cascades because those are the Attributes you roll to make command actions.
    I thought there were a bunch of Strength and Stamina-based War charms, but when I looked through them again I realised it's just that loads of War charms are Protean.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    How high is his Essence?

Anything you think particularly stands out?
    Appointment of culture heroes, enhanced indoor stuff for getting people to uphold traditions that you have Intimacies towards, and being able to empower oneself as a furious monster to safeguard one's chosen society.

Are there any charms for stuff like being good at administration? Or making your populace more law-abiding and industrious?
    Not particularly. Maybe the latter can be approximated by developing those things as a tradition or social value that other Charisma stuff can play off of, but administrative things are not quite in the Lungs wheelhouse.

War charms at the end of almost every tree.
    War Charms are at the end of the Appearance, Charisma and Intelligence cascades because those are the Attributes you roll to make command actions.
    Last edited by Isator Levi; 08-22-2019, 02:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X