Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Requesting help with Dragon Blooded Characters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Epitome View Post
    Elemental bolt isn't superior mechanically, but it's still unique thematically in that Solars can't throw fireballs or lightning bolts out of their hands without sorcery.
    True although as I understand it, only Dragon Blooded can have that same attack become alive and keep attacking your target. There is something kind of awesome about shooting the equivalent of elementals at people, which they then have to fight. Oh and if they want to get to you they then have to roll to disengage from the Ice drake or whatever you created.

Comment

Originally posted by Citadel97501 View Post
      True although as I understand it, only Dragon Blooded can have that same attack become alive and keep attacking your target. There is something kind of awesome about shooting the equivalent of elementals at people, which they then have to fight. Oh and if they want to get to you they then have to roll to disengage from the Ice drake or whatever you created.

Lunars can do that with any projectile, and better.

Comment

Hey guys, I have been doing some more reading and looking over the stuff you guys mentioned, and I had a question? Am I missing something or did I see that you can have a 25 health level character at Essence 2 with some potent healing available from both Resistance & Martial Arts? Hell at Essence 3, you then add in 4 more on average?

This only uses 10 charms and seems actually stronger than similar builds from Solar Exalted? Not as potent as Lunars but still that seems damn impressive to me.
        Hmmmm... No, I think you're right, though I am not sure it is much better than a Solar equivalent. The Solar will have less wound penalties.

My characters:
        Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
        Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post

I absolutely agree! I'm just mentioning it's not really something Solars, Lunars, etc can't do, and I'd look more at things like Explosive Evidence Technique or w/e, though that's like E4 and thus doesn't help either.
          Well even that, depending on how wide a net you want to cast on “can do a thing” Master Plan Meditation lets a solar erase evidence post-crime. I was totally wrong about Safety Among Enemies though, o forgot Solars get that now. Some of the other stuff can still be surprising though, if your NPC sorcerer-archer has been flying around like a dick peppering the PCs with arrows while they fight his minions, and then retreats over two turns to long range straight up you don’t necessarily expect one of the players to close that distance in a single action like he can with SZF. And even stuff like Dragon’s Twitching Whisker, Solars just don’t have a sixth sense charm that tells them when one of their enemies is nearby. They have charms that can pierce any disguise or reveal any hidden character, that’s true, but your ST doesn’t have to know to alert you whenever a hated foe is within bowshot of you, they just have to let you know when you’re contesting a stealth roll.

Another major thing if we’re talking sorcery, as an ST, when a player takes sorcery I immediately expect them to be able to do weird stuff like that. On the other hand if I’m only familiar with Solar linguistics I’m in the mindset that it’s the booky letter poetry tree. Then the DB spec-ops commando leader takes it and I’m like “whatever I guess everyone needs a hobby...” and then two sessions in he busts out this ability to instantaneously signal his squad 15 miles away, and even if some kind of sorcerer attempts to intercept the message he needs to overcome a difficulty 7 roll. They’re weird things that don’t require any kind of occult or spells to get going and so they can take you by surprise.

Comment

Could you share which Charms get you those numbers? I don't see any Charms that grant permanent Health Levels outside of Resistance.
            I count 7 base + 15 from ox-body = 22 at E1
            And then 2 from Dragon's Unfailing Vigor for 24 at E3

Comment

You could also take Huge. That'd be 25 at Essence 3 at least.

My characters:
              Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
              Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
              Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Hey guys, I have been doing some more reading and looking over the stuff you guys mentioned, and I had a question? Am I missing something or did I see that you can have a 25 health level character at Essence 2 with some potent healing available from both Resistance & Martial Arts? Hell at Essence 3, you then add in 4 more on average?

This only uses 10 charms and seems actually stronger than similar builds from Solar Exalted? Not as potent as Lunars but still that seems damn impressive to me.
                Yeah you think that’s good, look at the wood and water signature resistance charms.

And I agree with wizard, it’s powerful but not really as good as what a Solar does.

Comment

Originally posted by Epitome View Post
                  Could you share which Charms get you those numbers? I don't see any Charms that grant permanent Health Levels outside of Resistance.
                  I count 7 base + 15 from ox-body = 22 at E1 And then 2 from Dragon's Unfailing Vigor for 24 at E3
                  Sort of permanent from the Wood Dragon Form that gives you essence in -1's, 5 Ox - bodies at Stamina 5, I actually missed Dragon's Unfailing Vigor which adds another 2 for 27 health levels. The regeneration would come from Well Tended Garden of the Soul (Resistance), and Mind Over Body Meditation.

I do agree that the injury penalties will be really bad though.
                  Last edited by Citadel97501; 08-23-2019, 08:46 PM.

Comment

{blipped out}
                    Last edited by Isator Levi; 08-23-2019, 09:17 PM.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Sort of permanent from the Wood Dragon Form that gives you essence in -1's, 5 Ox - bodies at Stamina 5, I actually missed Dragon's Unfailing Vigor which adds another 2 for 27 health levels. The regeneration would come from Well Tended Garden of the Soul (Resistance), and Mind Over Body Meditation.
                      Ah I see! Well if you're counting Health Levels from Wood Dragon Form, don't forget that other Exalts can learn it too, so you'd have to add it to a Solar or Lunar's total potential as well.

Oh man, now I'm imagining a Stamina Lunar with Wood Dragon Style... So much Health and regeneration... *shudder*
                      Last edited by Epitome; 08-23-2019, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post

Solars do Safety Among Enemies better than DBs do, with their own Dodge Charm at Essence 2, Drifting Shadow Focus. Elemental Bolt is basically just attacking with an Artifact Thrown Weapon, except it scales its damage extremely slowly (with Essence ups). WCW can be done with sorcery, so can SZF (much cheaper too). And DTW can be easily replicated through Solar Awareness Charms, without its limit on negative Intimacies only. So I'm not sure these are a good example of their unique stuff.
                        They speak to ways of playing a Dragon Blooded that are distinct.

There's always going to be a difference between something as just a Charm and something being accomplished with sorcery, because sorcery comes with a lot of baggage, mechanical, aesthetic, thematic and in-character.

Being able to just use Wind Carried Words ought to play out a bit differently than needing to spend a few rolls shaping Infallible Messenger.

The little details matter.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

I do agree that the injury penalties will be really bad though.
                          Well, it isn't really so much the injury penalties, -1 and -2 aren't the most debilitating things ever, especially with good regeneration, it's more that other exalts can just also do it so if it hasn't been a problem for you before it shouldn't be now. It IS a remarkably rugged way to play your character, where you basically look at somebody who has 25 initiative and just dare them to waste it trying to hurt you.

I've rarely seen any PC go that hard into ox-bodies anyway, but I would consider this example as a reminder that as much as they are weaker they're still Exalted. Even with just the excellency and artifact weapons/armor a DB spanks a blood ape in half, and they're one of the strongest non-battlegroup things apart from the major antagonists. I wouldn't face a chargen circle up against Octavian or anything as their first fight, but that's not because I don't think they could take him. It's more because it does the Quarter Prince of Hell a complete disservice to use him as a singular battle when he's the emperor of a nation that "staggers the imagination" with its size.

Something else to note from it is that at Essence 3 Dragonblooded probably get the biggest power bump of any exalt type getting an essence up. The introduction of signature charms and even a bunch of strong non-signatures is something you might want to prepare for. The charismatic socialite is now going to be able to implant false memories in people, the archer is going to be reflexively aiming, and the thief is going to just become water and literally flow through the cracks of a fortress, stuff like that.

Comment

Other things to look at is what the powers mean to the character. See if you can roll them up into role playing opportunities. Dragon Bloods don't have limit break in the sense of a celestial track. Let the charms come out when you express it. If you are playing a fire aspect speaker, play the part, blow essence on a trivial tantrum, express that fire in your character. Instead of just giving a don't you know who I am speech, chew them out and cook and chew that scenery. The best part is (besides the chance for the tasty tasty dragon XP ), you can do this out in the open and in certain cultures, you are the one in the right because you are the one literally on fire. In some ways for dragon bloods i pick charms that fit their personality.

I have a water aspect thief but she's invested in socialize because despite her hijinks and capers, she's the type who likes getting to know people. As such she has Auspicious First Meeting Attitude. She picks your pocket while telling a tale and rolling the dice and even after all that she slips in the cracks and makes a friend out of you. This isn't some celestial overwhelming force of personality thing, it just shows how she's good at playing the table.

The element in some ways helps define your personality. Not all fire aspects are raging hotheads though. Some are very reserved, doing their level best to keep the volatile essence in check. Not all earth aspects are stubborn and unmoving, some become the avalanche and crush whats in their way. you can pick charms that reflect the personality.

I know its not mechanical help but sometimes it helps to step back from the mechanics and think in terms of the character.

Comment

Originally posted by Kell_Tamer View Post
                              The element in some ways helps define your personality. Not all fire aspects are raging hotheads though. Some are very reserved, doing their level best to keep the volatile essence in check.
                              The Immaculate Philosophy's take on Heshiesh is probably some help there.

Comment

Working...
                              X