No announcement yet.

Third Edition Makarios write-up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Levi's point is that Makarios looks like a scheming gremlin, while the appearance Mak should be evoking is affable merchant. And one of the big reasons for this is that players are going to come to the table and setting with their own particular bias about "demon merchants" so all that can be done by the game line to play against those assumptions is to the good, and illustrations that don't end up working against what's already a difficult uphill climb.

The artwork and sparse text aside, I ~do~ really appreciate the number and depth of description we get for Mak's charms. I have a Twilight in my current game that made a deal for the purchase of an object to use in a sorcerous working, and the rules here finally give me some meat to hang on the bones of what the bargain and sigil-marking really means.

I dunno, it's a nixed bag. On one side it feels lacking if some of the parts that make Makarios unique, on the other hand I appreciate the 'gamability' of his statblock.

Blasphemy? No, it is not blasphemy. If God is as vast as that, he is above blasphemy; if He is as little as that, He is beneath it.
    - Mark Twain, a Biography

Comment

Is it possible there's a lack of communication between writers and illustrators? I remember the Storm Serpent illustration was a painfully generic green Lung dragon as opposed to what the actual writeup said (something along the lines of "serpent the color of stormclouds") and as well as illustrators not being familiar with past illustrations?

Comment

He's a young man with prism eyes and similar clothing to before. So I imagine they gave the artist a description. But the artist might have been told "demon merchant who looks like a young man with prism eyes" and assumed he should look, well, demonic.

My characters:
        Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
        Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

He's also described as good looking or appealing, and his dream visits haunting and opulent. You pop in my head and sit on an ivory throne before a table made of a single sapphire, the last thing I'll be inclined to trust is a kind smile.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapse View Post
            He's also described as good looking or appealing, and his dream visits haunting and opulent. You pop in my head and sit on an ivory throne before a table made of a single sapphire, the last thing I'll be inclined to trust is a kind smile.
            Nonetheless, it's his nature to look and act that way. If it doesn't work for everyone, so be it. Plenty of fish in the Great Western Sea.

Comment

Working...
            X