Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What combat builds have you found the most fun?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
    He usually leads with a Grapple gambit and immediately turns that into damage, then busts out the katana.
    Interesting tactic, why does he do that?

My characters:
    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
    Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
      Interesting tactic, why does he do that?
      Because he's crazy. Lol.

Captain Bael's player loves pirates, so he took inspiration from One Piece, AC Black Flag, and Samurai Champloo. He really likes the idea of being a roughneck who can beat people senseless and also a swordsmaster- very Conan or Heracles there.

In combat, Captain Bael could not be more different than his Sorcerer ally, Forgotten Stairwell (the Tank). Bael practically races his opponents to their own deaths and counts on them dying first, against boss fights he usually gets crushed because he has (deliberately) neglected his defenses. However, he does Far and Away the most damage of the Team. He likes being Zoro and taking massive wounds in a reckless razor edge duel. The grapple gambit is a really strong opener for that- he can rush into combat and grappleslam most enemies because they aren't as good at wrestling as he is, its a weakspot not a lot of gods/exalts protect. After that, its proper duel time (and he has a big advantage in health and wound penalties). It also helps that he has a sail charm that gives him crazy hp, which is boosted because he made his ship into an artifact.

Stairwell the Sorcerer has Bronze Body as his control charm, Stam 4 Res 4 and 4 ox bodies. He also has an artifact sword that lets him attack out to medium range and sword spam enemies Gilgamesh style (these cost a custom resources called Blood Points. They cost 1 and 2 respectively, out of 4). His Otter is more or less a Tyrant Lizard but cute, its half divine between a Sea Goddess and a Sea Otter, so it has some magic tricks based on water. But basically it has high Soak and Hardness and so does he, and they both have truckloads of health. Stairwell does Blade Spam on small groups, DoOB on big groups, and medium range slash on single targets. He plays very defensively, and his otter seldom leaves his side except by command. Getting through a Tyrant Lizard to attack a Bronzed Melee Medium Range swordsman is a difficult task, especially when Bael is there trying to decapitate you.

They make a very Hammer and Anvil pair. I joked that if they ever fought it would just be to see if Bael could kill Stairwell in the first decisive, because if not then the remaining rounds are just a formality of Stairwell and Meatbun (the Otter) slowly cutting Bael down to death.

The archer unfortunately passed away, and his character went off on her own adventure. But while he was with us, his archer used elementals as bodyguards Defend Othering him and he used archery charms to pick off vulnerable targets. He even used Craft to straight Loony Tunes a Deathknight into a golden pyramid protected by a Solar Ghost, which was a thing i have to live with now.

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Was it just because the damage was too low then? Thrown looks like it has some interesting effects, but other than Thrown/Stealth, I'm not sure if it's any good.
        Basically. Solar Thrown is really good if you want to build a sneaky ninja. It is not actually good at making you better at damaging enemies with thrown weapons without ninja tactics. On one hand I appreciate that different abilities work differently, but I wish there was some thrown charms that were more generally useful without limiting you to a playstyle that may not fit the character. Maybe I want a viking-inspired axe-thower or a caber-tosser, these are both uses of thrown that the core doesn't really support. Ideally I would want something like 10% of any combat tree to be pretty generic useful stuff, and the other 90% that leads towards a specific strategy which would increase viable builds.

Comment

Originally posted by satoshi View Post

Basically. Solar Thrown is really good if you want to build a sneaky ninja. It is not actually good at making you better at damaging enemies with thrown weapons without ninja tactics. On one hand I appreciate that different abilities work differently, but I wish there was some thrown charms that were more generally useful without limiting you to a playstyle that may not fit the character. Maybe I want a viking-inspired axe-thower or a caber-tosser, these are both uses of thrown that the core doesn't really support. Ideally I would want something like 10% of any combat tree to be pretty generic useful stuff, and the other 90% that leads towards a specific strategy which would increase viable builds.
          General Effectiveness
          Precision of the Striking Raptor
          Angle-Tracing Edge
          Triple Distance Attack Technique
          Cascade of Cutting Terror
          Shower of Deadly Blades
          Fiery Solar Chakram
          Shadow Wind Slash (Shadow Wind Kill) [the prereqs are ninja tricks]
          Cutting Circle of Destruction [the prereqs are ninja tricks]

Alpha Strikes
          Steel Storm Descending
          Flashing Draw Mastery
          Swarm-Culling Instinct
          Shrike Saving Discretion

Debuffs
          Joint-Wounding Attack

"Ninja Tricks" that aren't useful to Axe Throwers
          Mist on Water Attack
          Observer-Deceiving Attack
          Flying Steel Ruse
          Empty Palm Technique
          Fallen Weapon Deflection
          Mist-Gathering Practice
          Crimson Razor Wind
          Sharp Hand Feint
          Shadow Thrust Spark
          Savage Wolf Attack
          Falling Icicle Strike

11 out of 24 Charms aren't ninja tricks. Thrown has a LOT of ninja tricks, but it's not 90%. (Likewise the Charms in Miracles are only 3/6 "ninja tricks".)

Javelin front liners, hatchetmen, caber tossers are all supported by Solar Thrown. Bonus Accuracy, more Range, more damage works for everyone.

You've got two lines in Thrown:

1. Attack from Stealth, disarming and distracting ninja style.

2. Soften targets with penalties whilst you move up for the kill.

2 syngergises with 1 really well. But it ALSO syngergises really well with Melee, or even works on its own.
          Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-06-2019, 08:27 AM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

I suppose alpha strikes are quite appropriate for a javelin front-liner.

Anyone used any Lunar combat builds? How did you find them? I know prototype00 mentioned ones he's made, but I'm wondering what stuff people have actually tried, and how fun did you find it?

My characters:
            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
            Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

So...
              My Current Character is a Mystic Martial Artist (Illuminated Monk). Has an Artifact That can be either a Reaper Daiklave (Medium), Reaper Grand Daiklave (Heavy) or Spear (Medium or Heavy). Those are it only real abilities, but work for me. He also has Silken Armor, and a Paired Flamepiece Artifact. He is a Dawn Cast (Mixed into Eclipse with Cast Favored abilities or just additional Abilitiy expenditures) who seeks out and destroys creatures of darkness/demons and protect the innocent (Part of his immaculate Faith coming forward).

His only 5 Dot Ability is Martial Arts (Single Point Shining), and he has no stats at 5. His Melee Abilities (Melee 4) with Minimal Melee Charms (1st 3 Charms, plus Call Blade and Summon the Loyal Steel); He is a Martial Artist with Single Point (through the 1st 7 Charms), White Reaper (Through the Form +1), Golden Janissary (Through the Form), and Righteous Devil (1st 2 Charms). He has a scattering of other charms (2 Awareness, 4 Occult, Celestial Sorcery, 2 Ox Body, and several other Charms scattered around).

He is a TON of fun to play. Especially since when he was created, My GM could not decide which Caste to make him (he made the majority of our characters to keep the game under wraps - polled us for character answers to questionnaire (I had a stupidly awesome detailed write-up to his questions) then made from our notes, provided a smattering of final points to customize) so I often vacillate between Dawn and Eclipse Rolls as the Itinerant Monk that tries to Negotiate until things potentially fall apart, then confronts them martially if necessary.

We have a great group.
              Last edited by Tymeaus Jalynsfein; 09-11-2019, 04:38 PM.

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Comment

Ah, so you can switch between different fighting styles depending on what's most appropriate?

My characters:

Comment

Ah, so you can switch between different fighting styles depending on what's most appropriate?
                  Yes, Exactly... Is a totally awesomely fun character...
                  Of course, I am trying to complete all 4 Martial arts (with the desire for one or two more eventually, but that takes time and commitment... but the character will eventually get there. Still working on his investigative abilities/charms to help root out that evil that he hunts.

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Comment

I haven't gotten him into a fight since buying it, but I'm pretty eager to try out Knockout Blow for my Knight Raiton character. It looks appropriately Batman-ish.

​(For a while, I was tempted to go the Martial Arts route, but I was stretched pretty tight on points as it was, so he's been just Brawl.)

Comment

Originally posted by Beast of Bitter Oblivion View Post

Not meant as a personal dig but a general question: Are optimal builds fun in the long run? Surely when combat is trivial it must get kinda boring no ? No sense of risk and danger when you got an optimised build ? I’m always wary these days of having an optimised character as it might make the fights that are trivial for you hard to balance for non optimised characters in the party unless you are all min maxed etc.
                      Question back at ya. I assume that you are a person who likes to spend time thinking about your character’s personality/abilities.

Is that so different from optimisation where you do much the same, but perhaps more of? (Than is strictly healthy, lol).

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                        I haven't gotten him into a fight since buying it, but I'm pretty eager to try out Knockout Blow for my Knight Raiton character. It looks appropriately Batman-ish.
                        Yeah, I like Knockout Blow, although it's a bit weird that you knock people out with Withering damage when the game is designed around knocking people out (/killing) with decisive damage.

My characters:

Comment

The difference is diegetic, so at least there's no clash in game.

Comment

Originally posted by prototype00 View Post

Question back at ya. I assume that you are a person who likes to spend time thinking about your character’s personality/abilities.

Is that so different from optimisation where you do much the same, but perhaps more of? (Than is strictly healthy, lol).
                            No it’s called making a character based on concept not build where you give him whatever stats and abilities that seems reasonable based on concept

Comment

Originally posted by Synapse View Post
                              The difference is diegetic, so at least there's no clash in game.
                              Oh, certainly. There's no story issue.

My characters:

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post

​(For a while, I was tempted to go the Martial Arts route, but I was stretched pretty tight on points as it was, so he's been just Brawl.)

Will you have "KAPOW" bubbles when you knock them out?

Or maybe he isn´t that kind of Batman...

Comment

Working...
                                X