Exalts and their areas of expertise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
    Or if you don't want to have sex, Instill an Intimacy to create a positive Tie to liking oranges whilst TCW adds in a Tie of Love to yourself. Then give your target an orange and Instill again to raise the target's love of oranges to Major (using the Minor Tie of love to you -- the person you love loves oranges), and TCW to raise the Tie of love to you to Major (using the Tie to oranges, you can get oranges from the person you love). Three minutes of conversation.
    This seems a lot more viable than the sex, what with angry wives, perfect defences for being the wrong sexual orientation, etc.

My characters:
    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
    Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Yeah. Thousand Courtesan Ways to fire off an Instill Minor Intimacy of Love and Inspire Lust. Don't need to target an Intimacy. Persaude based on the Emotion effect to sleep with you (and TCW to raise the Intimacy to Major if you've got Mastery of Small Manners/Seasoned Criminal Approach or some other Minor Intimacy). Celestial Bliss Trick: Defining Intimacy in three minutes.

Or if you don't want to have sex, Instill an Intimacy to create a positive Tie to liking oranges whilst TCW adds in a Tie of Love to yourself. Then give your target an orange and Instill again to raise the target's love of oranges to Major (using the Minor Tie of love to you -- the person you love loves oranges), and TCW to raise the Tie of love to you to Major (using the Tie to oranges, you can get oranges from the person you love). Three minutes of conversation.
      Sounds like the Solar has to abuse their own Charms to get their way though. Even the greatest seducer in all Creation will not remain a credible character for long if they go around making people fall in love with them by giving them oranges.

Solars can brute force their way through anything, but does it always make for as good a story? It may be that sometimes a DB will simply be a better fit for the story being told.

Comment

I still don’t get how that isn’t a boon for the DB. A Solar has to blow a boat load of motes and some willpower while trying to hide all this from everyone else present in the room. With charms like Heart Hardening Meditation it’s not like the Solar isn’t spending motes on those actions, and even if you succeed flawlessly without spending more than 5m from your peripheral essence, you’re still in a damned dangerous place. You’re deep in enemy territory with just one ally and you’re making a big splash that’s going to draw a lot of eyes.

The DB doesn’t even need to be social at all, or spend motes. If they did have to spend motes for some reason though they could go hard and burn peripheral without fear, because they’re among allies. If you succeed here you’re making a big splash too, but that’s awesome, your reputation in the Realm as a slayer of one of the greatest horrors of the underworld is going to spread out far from Harborhead.

The game isn’t built to block off any type of exalt from doing anything in particular they just donitnin different ways, sometimes with a lot more work. DBs don’t just auto fail at fighting Octavian, but it’s pretty sweet to be a Solar and just steamroll it, and Solars don’t just auto fail at convincing a satrap of something, but it’s pretty sweet to just roll up to the palace like you own it. The Realm is the most powerful empire in the world and it’s not even remotely close, and that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
          This seems a lot more viable than the sex, what with angry wives, perfect defences for being the wrong sexual orientation, etc.
          Nothing that can't be fixed by the Presence seduction tree.
          Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
          If they did have to spend motes for some reason though they could go hard and burn peripheral without fear, because they’re among allies.
          "So I know I burned down the Prince's palace and maimed those courtiers who were standing too close to me..."

The game isn’t built to block off any type of exalt from doing anything in particular they just donitnin different ways, sometimes with a lot more work.
          I agree. But I think you're overstating the Realm.

Every Satrap in the Threshold wants more troops. Wants a Wyld Hunt to drive off the Anathema. Wants to secure their boarders. Put down rebels. Expand.

And, these experienced, powerful Dynasts are having their requests rejected and their resources recalled. I don't see why these established figures can't get the Deliberative to help but your Essence 2 kids fresh out of high school can. When you read The Realm and see that the Realms institutions are all paralyzed, it paints it as a colossus -- impossible to stop but impossible to galvanize. (Beyond the Realm, Left Hand Chalima rules a kingdom (powerful enough to treat with Lookshy) and she can't raise a Wyld Hunt.)

Absolutely, yes, you're going to have positive Intimacies already in the established power structure. (And negative ones with Dynasts are going to look down on Outcasts. The Realm and Lookshy are going to be rivals. The Great Houses are going to have negative Intimacies because of their rivalries. Not to mention being imperalistic conquerors with the enmity of the Lunars.) The Immaculate Faith is widespread, you're going to get a better reaction than the Anathema.

But you can't click your fingers and instantly have Realm troops teleport to you from a thousand miles away. And even if the Satrap knows she should lend you her personal guard, Mnemon redeployed the main garrison to Jiara months ago and that personal guard is all the Satrap has left. She'll hear your case but with wolves at the door, the Anathema in greater numbers than ever seen, and with no Legion presence... well make sure you talk to her in a building made of stone.

If you haven't got the Merit points to back it up, I don't see being a Dragon-Blooded as having the same level of "intangible" benefit you do. Some, sure -- I don't see why the Satrap would agree to meet with a band of wandering heroes, though she'd meet with a fellow Dynast. But not the level you're suggesting -- the Satrap isn't going to turn over her troops and call a Wyld Hunt on your Nephwrack without a (series of very good) roll(s).
          Originally posted by Epitome View Post

Sounds like the Solar has to abuse their own Charms to get their way though. Even the greatest seducer in all Creation will not remain a credible character for long if they go around making people fall in love with them by giving them oranges.
          Unless you really like the idea of oranges as a calling card, replace oranges with basically anything. Bonus points if you're a Crafter and your seductions net you Basic Objective points. (Ties work better than Principles because it's easier to produce a new level of supporting evidence. But build a Principle supporting "Free Love" if you think oranges aren't a credible token of affection.)

And you don't have to be a Solar to do this. TCW just speeds the process by letting you have two rolls for the price of one.
          Solars can brute force their way through anything, but does it always make for as good a story? It may be that sometimes a DB will simply be a better fit for the story being told.
          Exactly the point I made on page 2. I agree completely.

Tales of politics and intrigue, where you're using the social structure instead of tearing it down, are best done with Deebs. But that's not because Solar's can't use those structures, but because Deebs tell a better story.

Having a Solar in a campaign about Realm politics feels really twinky. But given how powerful Solar social Charms are, as soon as you get Perfect Mirror, you're going to be unstoppable. (Which isn't going to be good for the story.) Brute forcing your way through politics and intrigue defeats the point. (But Deebs aren't "experts" at being too weak to brute force their way through intrigue -- and they're certainly not better at intrigue than Solars. They just tell a better story. Because they're weaker, because they have more Merit dots to use as hooks and because it just makes more sense in-universe.)
          Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-06-2019, 05:40 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Nothing that can't be fixed by the Presence seduction tree.
            Our Eclipse sorcerer queen has most of the seduction charms.
            It has not helped at all in her attempts to make peace and alliances with the Dawn Caste warlord. He has a perfect defence against all seduction attempts by women. It's free and can be used against every seduction attempt. Now, if a sexy boy tried to seduce him he'd be in trouble, but when it comes to girls he's totally fine.
            Similarly, my Full Moon, Dr Soma, is utterly immune to the charms of all sexy ladies, although for her it's for the opposite reason.

(Well, I guess all PCs have perfect defences against seduction, but I'm trying to use an example that would work with NPCs too)

There's a reason the only charm that can give targets a Defining Intimacy is in seduction. Of the different ways to make Social Influence rolls, seduction is by far the most limited.

And, you know, what if your target's just butt-ugly? Do you want to seduce them?
            There's a reason master Night Caste seducer James Bond seduced Pussy Galore to help stop Goldfinger, and didn't just seduce Goldfinger.

Last session, the main social challenge for my PCs was to convince a bear to stop trying to escape and instead become friends with the Full Moon. Bears are immune to seduction by humans (I guess they could have tried to convince their bear-god mentor to seduce the bear, but I don't think he'd have gone for it, and they couldn't have seduced him to make him do it).

The previous session, the social challenge was that the King's rule is falling apart because he, his wife, his royal champion, and several others have had foolish affairs that ended up with some murders, and now there's demands for vengeance, choices where someone's definitely going to be angry. Seducing people is going to make it worse. There's other solutions of course, but seducing people definitely isn't the optimal play.
            (Incidentally, a lot of the Lunar "seduction" charms actually can be done different ways, and so are more flexible.)

I'm not saying the tree isn't powerful, but it is one very specific way of solving problems, which often isn't the best way to solve the problems.

My characters:
            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
            Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Well, I guess all PCs have perfect defences against seduction, but I'm trying to use an example that would work with NPCs too
              The Storyteller is a player, too, and thus the Red Rule applies to her as well.

Comment

"So I know I burned down the Prince's palace and maimed those courtiers who were standing too close to me..."
                Oh come on now, you know that isn't true. Every edition since 1st ed has included lines about how the Dragonblooded harden their homes and other areas where their animas may flare against anima flux. I admit it doesn't mention that their retainers retreat to a safe distance when the sandstorm starts getting kicked up but good slaves and allies are expensive things to burn up for no reason.
                And, these experienced, powerful Dynasts are having their requests rejected and their resources recalled. I don't see why these established figures can't get the Deliberative to help but your Essence 2 kids fresh out of high school can. When you read The Realm and see that the Realms institutions are all paralyzed, it paints it as a colossus -- impossible to stop but impossible to galvanize. (Beyond the Realm, Left Hand Chalima rules a kingdom (powerful enough to treat with Lookshy) and she can't raise a Wyld Hunt.)
                Right, exactly, but they're not helping you. You're not an outsider kingdom coming to beg for imperial aid, trying to convince them that if your small kingdom falls to the Nephwrack that their satrapy will be next. This is our empire, our satrapy, our resources and our home. I'm not asking the satrap to defend my land, I'm asking to work together to defend ours. If you were an outcast and showed up begging for use of House Mnemon assets to defend your own personal nation, then that'd still be possible, but it'd take days or weeks of debate and convincing.

If you're a Mnemon defending House Mnemon assets though, you're already on the same side. No matter who commands those troops to go fight that Nephwrack you're going to be there helping, the roll, if any, is just to determine if you're the one leading them, when they head out, stuff like that. Barring something specific like a particular animosity for that family member in particular. With merit dots there's no question, you just get it, but without them you've still got implicit allies in your family.

That's just part of it though, much like real world hyper-privileged people it's hard to point to just one thing and say "That's why they've got it better.". That's no judgement on privileged people by the way, being born into wealth isn't some moral failing. Anyway, here's just a list of things Dragonblooded can do that Solars can't in the Realm.

Walk around with artifacts clearly visable
                Perform superhuman feats without suspicion
                Flare anima
                Meet with local leaders and be automatically respected
                Own and emancipate slaves
                Execute peasants without trial
                Produce/wear/display art of an iconographic nature
                Sit at the Dynastic table in households
                Be immune to most forms of law enforcement, and in cases where they break the law so egregiously, for instance wholesale slaughter of peasants, they must still be treated with groveling respect as they are arrested until the Imperial Force arrives.
                Cross provincial boarders without proper paperwork
                Become a magistrate
                Summon Demons
                Openly worship gods outside of the monk-approved calendar
                Access heretical historical texts

That's not even the whole list, there's other things. A lot of that is legal stuff, like, your Solar can absolutely have heretical texts in his cart, but if somebody finds them they get arrested and punished and the texts taken away. Or you could resist and risk outing yourself as anathema. Dragonblooded don't have that problem, they can cross a prefectural boarder at will with their big group of slaves and demons carrying all their iconographic heretical texts on the way to dinner with the prefect herself and that's a-ok.

You are both a divine bodhisattva and a member of the royal family in one, ruling in a nation that has a thousand laws to crushingly oppress everyone but you, and give you freedom to do as you please.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                  The Storyteller is a player, too, and thus the Red Rule applies to her as well.
                  There are rare moments I wish I could like a single post twice. This is one of those moments.

Comment

Our Eclipse sorcerer queen has most of the seduction charms.
                    It has not helped at all in her attempts to make peace and alliances with the Dawn Caste warlord. He has a perfect defence against all seduction attempts by women. It's free and can be used against every seduction attempt.
                    Rose Lipped Seduction Style.
                    (And Larceny has Flawlessly Impenetrable Disguise, but I said Presence and I stick by it.)

Sure you can Red Rule anything you like. Your Dawn can Red Rule seduction attempts from sexy boys. And you can Golden Rule that seduction simply doesn't exist. You can Orichalcum Rule that Creation is G-rated and everyone is smooth like a Barbie Doll and babies are brought by the Stork.

But Solar seduction lets you seduce people who are not and cannot be attracted to you. It defeats the perfect defence of sexual orientation pretty trivially.

(And you can use a love of oranges to build Intimacies of Platonic Friendship if you want. Just takes two more rolls.)

Comment

Oh come on now, you know that isn't true. Every edition since 1st ed has included lines about how the Dragonblooded harden their homes and other areas where their animas may flare against anima flux.
                      Whose house are you in? Are there no tapestries? No finery?

Either your in a Dragon-Blooded's house and trashing it, or a peasents house and destroying it. Or you're standing in the street and can't come inside for 15 minutes.

Right, exactly, but they're not helping you. [...]This is our empire, our satrapy, our resources and our home. I'm not asking the satrap to defend my land, I'm asking to work together to defend ours. [...]
                      If you're a Mnemon defending House Mnemon assets though, you're already on the same side.
                      Hope you're not a Ragara. And the Satrap believes you.

And sure, a Dynast can openly wear a Diaklave on her back. A Solar can't. Agreed. But if the Solar can send her blade Elsewhere... that's not a game changing disadvantage. (And if the Solar can conjure Daiklaves of light, or shout at her foes with the force of a Daiklave, or spend two Charms to flawlessly, impenetrably, perfectly disguise herself as a Dynast whilst getting better use of Jade weapons than a Deeb can, then that advantage is obliviated even further.)

On the Threshold, your Guild Merchant Prince (who actually has the Merits backing her up) is going to be more advantaged socially than a Deeb trying to front on the Blood of Dragons. On the Blessed Isle, sure, I agree 100%. But are you playing on the Blessed Isle?
                      Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-07-2019, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Rose Lipped Seduction Style

But Solar seduction lets you seduce people who are not and cannot be attracted to you. It defeats the perfect defence of sexual orientation pretty trivially.
                        Holy ****.
                        I did not realise that. And... I am actually kind of uncomfortable with it.
                        (Though at least it costs a wp.)

My characters:

Comment

Holy ****.
                          I did not realise that. And... I am actually kind of uncomfortable with it.
                          (Though at least it costs a wp.)
                          To be fair, it's letting you seduce boys by being a girl who looks like Buck Angel. It's Solar excellence at making yourself be appealing, not some kind of Lunar-esque psyche f***ery that changes their orientation. Which, I think is empowering, but I admit I'm biased.

(The Lunar charms that auto-replace attraction with friendship are probably less problematic though.)

(I can't even begin to imagine a game where you don't want to seduce a bear to solve your problems.)
                          Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-07-2019, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Whose house are you in? Are there no tapestries? No finery?
                            There aren't? Dragonblooded architecture and design is built around the idea that their animas might activate in tense situations. One of those situations is definitely a satrap treating with somebody. For all she knows one day some outcast DB might come and try to manipulate her into doing something, and she'll need to fight charms with charms. There might be some places in the palace that you don't want to turn it on, the wardrobe maybe, but the throneroom? 100% that's hardened against anima flux.

If you're in the street, it's going to clear the street that's for sure. But you're a divinely exalted being, so if somebody gets their fruit stand trashed by your anima they're more likely to take a shard of lightning-scorched wood and keep it with them for good luck than they are to attempt any kind of retribution.

Hope you're not a Ragara. And the Satrap believes you.
                            If you're operating in Harborhead at least somebody in your circle is probably a Mnemon. Either way, the garrison commander is supposed to be there to serve the empire, not the satrap's house, that's why the Empress assigned garrison commanders who were of different houses than the satrap, but in recent years there's been some turnover in that area. I guess they might not believe you either, but you could also say that about any other persuade action.

And sure, a Dynast can openly wear a Diaklave on her back. A Solar can't. Agreed. But if the Solar can send her blade Elsewhere... that's not a game changing disadvantage. (And if the Solar can conjure Daiklaves of light, or shout at her foes with the force of a Daiklave, or spend two Charms to flawlessly, impenetrably, perfectly disguise herself as a Dynast whilst getting better use of Jade weapons than a Deeb can, then that advantage is obliviated even further.)
                            A Solar can do that, they can use charms to help make up for the advantages that Dragonblooded get implicitly in the Realm, but that's a Jewish spy dressing up as a member of the SS in Nazi Germany. You can do it, but it's going to look like Inglorious Bastards. Dragonblooded have been fighting shapeshifting, face-stealing foes for over a thousand years, they know what's up. Plus Bronze Faction Sidereal support can help a lot in the most extreme circumstances.

That has to be your entire circle with Larceny and Socialize too, which kind of sucks. Some people might not want to devote a bunch of attribute and ability dots into hiding.

Which isn't to say that a Solar game set in the Blessed Isle or Realm satrapies is impossible, or that you can never impersonate a DB. If you have Essence 2, Larceny 5 and a few Solar charms you can, but it's dangerous and/or temporary. A game set in the Realm is very different from a game set in the far Threshold or Lunar dominions. You need to keep your head down. Just like how you could theoretically use Perfect Mirror to look like the Mask of Winter's most trusted Abyssal right hand. It's a damn useful trick, but it's just different from actually playing an Abyssal circle in service to the Mask.

On the Threshold, your Guild Merchant Prince (who actually has the Merits backing her up) is going to be more advantaged socially than a Deeb trying to front on the Blood of Dragons. On the Blessed Isle, sure, I agree 100%. But are you playing on the Blessed Isle?
                            If you're a DB where are you playing? The Blessed Isle is huge, it's more than 1.5 times as wide as the continental united states and absolutely filled with stuff. Ancestor cults, rogue demon summoners, anathema infiltrators, unruly gods, dangerous faeries, heretical cults, separatist movements, all sorts of stuff. The Isle doesn't keep itself safe and orderly.

The greater Realm extends as far south as Goldenseal, as far east as Prasad and Greyfalls, as far north as Fajad and as far west as Utahi or Faxai. Depending on the satrapy certain things might be a bit looser, for example crossing provincial boarders is something anyone can do, but anything immaculate based is still a go. Also you're still visiting royalty from the empire who owns the nation, and if the satrap gets involved in any issue where it's barbarian peasant vs Blessed Isle born Dynast it'd have to be a pretty awful thing for you to not come out on top.

Merit dots are good, and useful, but just because you have them doesn't always make them easy to use without consequence. Dragonblooded using their merits in the Realm have a great freedom to do so.

That doesn't make it easymode where you always get what you want, it just removes a bunch of obstacles that you'd normally have to deal with. As part of House Peleps your fleet of ships have safe ports all over the world. Yes, you still have to deal with Lintha pirates, but you never have to worry that your battle-damaged flotilla won't be accepted into safe harbor nearby. The port actually wants you there, because rather than being worried that you're going to turn on them and raid them they get a big flashy deterrent from any other pirates sailing by.

Comment

If you're a DB where are you playing? The Blessed Isle is huge, it's more than 1.5 times as wide as the continental united states and absolutely filled with stuff. Ancestor cults, rogue demon summoners, anathema infiltrators, unruly gods, dangerous faeries, heretical cults, separatist movements, all sorts of stuff. The Isle doesn't keep itself safe and orderly.

The greater Realm extends as far south as Goldenseal, as far east as Prasad and Greyfalls, as far north as Fajad and as far west as Utahi or Faxai. Depending on the satrapy certain things might be a bit looser, for example crossing provincial boarders is something anyone can do, but anything immaculate based is still a go. Also you're still visiting royalty from the empire who owns the nation, and if the satrap gets involved in any issue where it's barbarian peasant vs Blessed Isle born Dynast it'd have to be a pretty awful thing for you to not come out on top.
                              Anywhere but here.

There's a Caul to retake. A Bull to geld. A Red-Piss Legion to recruit.

You're not going to find The Eye of Autochothon in Arjuf.

The game's default location (the location where even the signature kinship are based) is the Scavenger Lands.

Heck the only Deeb game I know of taking place in the Realm is "Fall of the Jiara Dragon-Blooded".

In the Realm you're got Essence 5 matriachs telling you what to do as you sip tea and arrange marriages and have bandits disrespect you in your own back yard. In the Threshold you defy orders to protect your wounded men from cannibals.

Which is not to say games set on the Blessed Isle aren't fun. Or that you shouldn't keep the Realm safe and orderly, subduing hertic gods and the like. As you say it's a vast place with plenty of adventure to be had.

But I prefer my adventures off the edge of the map where they've yet to scrawl "here be dragons".

Comment

Anywhere but here.
                                But I prefer my adventures off the edge of the map where they've yet to scrawl "here be dragons".
                                Well, that's going to be where the institutionalized power of the Dragonblooded is the weakest, it's the DB equivalent of playing a Lunar game in the heart of the Imperial City. Maybe if we're considering Deep Wyld or Malfeas as campaign settings they're worse, but out in the deep Threshold is the territory of fairies, fallen civilizations and barbarians. What you have there is what you take with you, and no missionaries have spent centuries convincing the peasantry that you and everyone like you is mini-jesus.

It's a wildly different style of game than anything set in the actual Realm, especially on the Isle. Some crazy shit can happen on the isle though, finding a way into the Imperial Manse would be pretty baller. The section on "Crime on the Isle" in the Realm says it's relatively uncommon, and relegated to small organized crime groups, but with the Dynasty becoming distracted somebody needs to keep going Judge Dredd on those bandits.

There is definitely more of a safety net though. If you're suiting up with your hearth and forging off into the wilderness of the Blessed Isle hunting Fair Folk in the Plains of Rusted Iron you're not more than a few days travel, at most, from a safe haven full of people who will protect and help you. It's not like if you're based out of Nexus or something where if you wander into it bloody and pincushioned with faerie arrows there is zero guarentee that anyone will be taking you in out of the goodness of their hearts. If your Hearth wanders into an Arjuf city like that they absolutely will.

You do have to be in the places where that's actually set up to make use of it though.

EDIT: Incidentally, DO you prefer your Lunar games to be set in the heart of Dragonblooded power? Like if given the choice to play a game set in The Empire of the Bear or the Imperial City would you just not bother with the former?

Comment

Working...
                                X