Lunar Shapeshifting and other basics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunar Shapeshifting and other basics

I am running a game which includes Lunars for the first time, and the use of them after the actual rules came out have been limited due to a pause in the games.

So I have some questions which are a bit unclear:

**Cost of Shapechange:** As I understand this, each change of Form (except for reverting to your True Form or changes that are performed as part of charms that follow other rules - such as DBT etc) costs 4 motes (potentially more if the form has mutations etc). These motes are committed while in the form. Changing from one form to another frees up the first commitment but carries a new cost and commitment.

Is this correct?

**Allowable Forms:** Where do you draw the line on which forms are allowable? Sometimes the distinction between a Magical Beast and a Wyld Mutatet crazy looking Animal isn't that obvious?

**Mixed Group and Excellency:** The group consists of two Solars and one Lunar. Charm Powers etc seem pretty ok - so I doubt that will be the problem. But should I do some adjustments to the Excellency Cap? I.e. how difficult should it be to be able to stunt in an Attribute to increase the dice cap for Excellencies?

Can the Strength Excellency be stunted for increased Dice Cap for Damage Pool increase?

I am sure I'll have more questions to run into, but at least the ones above gives me a better foundation to not completely mess up. πŸ˜…

Originally posted by Rouharu View Post
    I am running a game which includes Lunars for the first time, and the use of them after the actual rules came out have been limited due to a pause in the games.

So I have some questions which are a bit unclear:

**Cost of Shapechange:** As I understand this, each change of Form (except for reverting to your True Form or changes that are performed as part of charms that follow other rules - such as DBT etc) costs 4 motes (potentially more if the form has mutations etc). These motes are committed while in the form. Changing from one form to another frees up the first commitment but carries a new cost and commitment.

Is this correct?
    Yes, you are quite right. Say it costs 4 motes to change into a pestletail, you commit these motes when you change into one, but when you change into something else, these motes are uncommited, but still spent.

**Allowable Forms:** Where do you draw the line on which forms are allowable? Sometimes the distinction between a Magical Beast and a Wyld Mutatet crazy looking Animal isn't that obvious?
    Okay,

1.) The basic, normally covers 95% of situations rule is: If that animal is like a totally real thing that existed at some point in earth's history, 100% okay.

2.) Apparently some exceptions exist in Creation. These are specifically enumerated. Talking monkey of Halta is apparently normal enough to pass muster, as is gilled polar bear. Fogshark however, is not.

3.) If you want to turn into a wyld mutated (but otherwise normal animal) you can just pay the mutation surcharge (commit extra motes equal to the mutation dots). So that is a thing as well. Caveat: You have to have eaten one of these ornery critters before, or otherwise stolen their shape. But this is how you get (expensive) winged bears if you want. (If a player wants to start with something weird like this, I'd just ask them to purchase it with Hearts Blood. Flying mouse? 2 dot familiar rating. Flying bear? 3 dot familiar rating)

**Mixed Group and Excellency:** The group consists of two Solars and one Lunar. Charm Powers etc seem pretty ok - so I doubt that will be the problem. But should I do some adjustments to the Excellency Cap? I.e. how difficult should it be to be able to stunt in an Attribute to increase the dice cap for Excellencies?
    It is up to you of course, but the guideline in the Lunar's Rulebook is "Be extraordinarily generous in allowing the stunting of one or two attributes." So I would tend to default as "yes, you can apply strength to your Persuade roll, just flex a bit in your stunt description."

Can the Strength Excellency be stunted for increased Dice Cap for Damage Pool increase?
    Yes. You can stunt any other stat (with an appropriate description along with your Str Excellency) for doing damage. This maxes out at +5 damage for 5 motes (for an excellency pool of 10)

I am sure I'll have more questions to run into, but at least the ones above gives me a better foundation to not completely mess up. πŸ˜…
    Enjoy playing Lunars!
    Last edited by prototype00; 09-07-2019, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by prototype00 View Post
      Enjoy playing Lunars!
      Thanks for all the feedback!! I’m Storytelling this time, but even so it’s pretty cool to have a Lunar in the group.

It opens up some new dynamics.

Compared to the previous game with two Solars only, none of which where particularly heavy hitters, having a Lunar with Strength favored and a Hybrid Form powered up with Chimera to be a Rhinoceros and Gorilla Mix with DBT+Ogre, with a Horn built from Mutations to be a Medium Weapon on top of Strength 5 Baseline.... is going to be quite fun I think. πŸ˜…

Comment

Originally posted by Rouharu View Post
        It out has an Essence rating higher than one and Charms or similar, that's a paddlin'.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        ​https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

If it's listed in the "animal" section then it's ok.

If it's not listed as an animal then it's not.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

That doesn't cover the Hundred Devils Night Parade though.

But for that, Isator's advice generally covers it. A giant grosbeak is a bird that can sing magic songs; that's out. An armoured kraken is just a really big squid; that's fine.

My impression is that when they release Hundred Devils as a proper book, they'll put in a list of what forms you can take. Generally it's obvious, there's just a few that are less clear.
            Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 09-07-2019, 06:53 AM.

My characters:
            Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
            Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

It definitely would help if they put "lunar ok" or something in the text of the more borderline ones.

Comment

Even looking into it a bit more, I think the supernatural powers part is a little bit extraneous and the key thing to focus on is the matter of it needing extra motes to cover the cost of its mutation Merits.

The standard for what counts as a mutant for the purposes of Lunar shapeshifting really does just seem to be regular animal template with the addition of some of the things listed as supernatural Merits; on that note, I don't think anybody will bother to give a dedicated write-up to such a thing.

So in the majority of cases when we get something that is given a write-up more elaborate than describing an animal that does or ever did exist, it can probably be written off. I think the exception is just a few cases of an animal that is peculiar, but whose peculiarities are still rooted entirely in the halfway plausible biological. Armoured kraken, eight tailed mole hound and northern ursidae are unusual, but they've just got extra appendages or tissues (and are even presented as just naturally present beings of Creation, so don't even qualify as mutants with extra mote costs). The Tiger's Eye has no supernatural powers, but it features elements that aren't even vaguely biological, so it's out.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                ​https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Working...
                X