Survey: Where is your 3rd ed game set?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Janissary87 View Post
    five years is a loooong time to play a campaign.
    I agree.

I play a game that's been running.... 12 years? 13?
    I ran a game for about 4 years I think, then it went on hiatus, then I ran it again for maybe 2 years after 3rd ed came out, before I finished it. Then my friend took it over because the players wanted to continue, I guess he's run it for a year or 2. So maybe 8 years. Might be more? 9 or 10? I think I started it 12 or 11 years ago, but there were gaps.
    I don't dislike either game, they're good, but I really wouldn't mind them ending and starting a new game.

My new game I've run for, like, 8 sessions. It feels quite different to me because of that. When my game reached essence 5, I found it really difficult to challenge the PCs, whereas now sometimes stuff is actually quite hard for them.

My characters:
    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
    Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

One in Chiaroscuro (S), two in the North (S and DB) and two in the Caul (S and L).

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

Played in one in Chiarascuro, ran one in the Scavenger Lands, mostly focused on Great Forks

Comment

I ran a solo game set in Y'danna down in the Dreaming Sea (starring a Solar), and then a Solar game set in the Southwest.

As for games I've played, there was a Solar game set in Gloam and a DB game (pre-WFHW) that saw the characters travel around the Dreaming Sea.

Finally, my currently active games, for a given value of active, are a Lunar game in Wu Jian, a Solar game in the Southeast (but far from the Dreaming Sea), and a solo DB game in some nonspecific part of the North.

Comment

As people keep saying games they used to play, then assuming they're 3rd ed I've just put them up as well. Ideally I guess it should be weighted towards longer-running games, but that's too difficult.

So it looks like the Scavenger Lands is most popular (10), followed by the South-West (8), South (7), North (6), Dreaming Sea (5), West (5), North-East (3). Hardly anyone runs games on the Blessed Isle.

I'm glad to see the South-West with its new stuff is so popular, though I'm surprised, I thought people would be more into the Dreaming Sea than the Cinder Coast.

My characters:
            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
            Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
              I don't dislike either game, they're good, but I really wouldn't mind them ending and starting a new game.
              You seriously need to convince your group to do that, man. If you can convince them to do a DB game it's even better. You might even have a debate occasionally about possibly making a compromise with an NPC or something, and somebody might get crashed in a fight.

Comment

I narrate a game in the West (Azure, specifically, on the brink of war with Skullstone) and play a game in the East (we're colonizers taming a wild land and improving on the relics of a bygone era). Both games have solars, dbs and lunars. The Eastern game technically has an abyssal, we're using a fan port.
                Last edited by Synapse; 09-09-2019, 11:47 PM.

Comment

When you say East, do you actually mean in the eastern forest?

Because so far you're the only person to do that. I think the Eastern forest and jungle empires are the least played area. Over 12 years of playing Exalted, I've played in the West, An-Teng, South, South-East (but not Dreaming Sea), all over the Scavenger Lands, North-East, North, North-West (Coral, etc) and the Blessed Isle. But never further east than Greyfalls.

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey
                  You seriously need to convince your group to do that, man.
                  I sort of did. I started a new 0xp Lunar game. But we've got 4 games going on Sundays: the 300xp game in Egypt-expy land, the 450xp game in the lakes near Harborhead, my new Lunar game, and a Dragonblood game I don't play. So they alternate.
                  They also started a new game for 3rd edition, which is on Fridays I think.
                  So for nearly all the players, they actually are playing a new (well, E3 now, but that's pretty reasonable) Solar game and a very new Lunar game. But I'm only running a new game (which I'm really enjoying actually).

One of my STs (the Egypt-expy game) actually did say he wants to end his game at some point. But I guess he wants to tie up all the plot strands and stuff, which is understandable (the current plot is actually really good, I'm just bored of the PCs because they've been mostly the same for 12 years). And as it's currently on break while we do crossovers, even if he did that fairly quickly (in like 10 sessions), with monthly games, we'd be talking end of next year. But it's probably more like 2 years I guess.

The DB ST also wants to end his Dragonblood game, and he says they're in the last story arc, but again they're on break while we do crossovers, and then 1 session a week means we're talking end of next year at the earliest, I imagine.

Anyway, so it's not a priority for most of the players because they're playing one new and one fairly new (like 2 years I guess) game, but I don't play any (I run one). The ST of the 450xp game says that essentially he has plot ideas for characters he knows and so he wants to keep that game going, because those are the characters he knows well.
                  I think it would be better if we all fell into a big XP-void that sucked out all our XP and turned us into starting characters.
                  Because then, as you say, we
                  might even have a debate occasionally about possibly making a compromise with an NPC or something.
                  Some of the characters are kind of annoying, but I think it's 90% because they'll never compromise with NPCs or each other (which has led to issues with them refusing to work together, which is very annoying as at what point we were split into 5 groups, which really cuts down on each person's play-time), and that would help. It's very difficult to argue that a guy with Supernal Resistance should compromise when he's virtually unkillable. Or the woman with Death Ray.
                  But I doubt people would be up for that.

I also think as they all play a Dragonblood game currently, when that one ends they probably won't want to play a new one. My Lunars game got people interested because we'd only ever done one all-Lunars game before, like 7 years ago, and it didn't last very long. Actually, we used to do tons and tons and tons of Dynastic games, so I'm not that psyched to do one, nor I think would others. Maybe Dragonblood Outcastes.

But honestly, with 5 exalted games running, if one or two finish, while I would like to do a new Exalted game I'd probably more like to play a 40k game or superheroes or sci-fi or urban fantasy or something.
                  Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 09-10-2019, 07:23 AM.

My characters:

Comment

When you say East, do you actually mean in the eastern forest?
                    Mhmm, somewhere between the Lair of Ma-ha-suchi and Rathess, just west of Ixcoatli, and the place plays a role in the story.

Comment

Cool. Simon Darkstep said he's planning to eventually send his players to Halta, but it looks currently like you're the only person here playing a game set in the actual East.

Before settling on the snowy lands of the North-East north of Iscomay, the big North-East forest was my second choice for a setting. Forests that go on for huge distances are something Exalted has that most settings don't, but people don't seem to use it much. I guess maybe people don't know what to do with it?

My characters:

Comment

What would someone do with a bunch of trees, right?

A good start is cutting them down.
                        Cutting wood is as much a local activity as an international one, and the setting's technological era allows for it: cargo ships in the lower hundreds of tons, immense beasts of burden, wide-reaching empires and well established trade between all major hubs mean that Eastern woods can be relatively cheap to import, especially those with properties uncommon elsewhere. There should be hundreds or thousands of villages and towns specialized in exporting wood, especially along the two gargantuan rivers on the southeast and northeast.

Comment

My 2 first campaigns were set in the South-East, close to Palanquin, along the Dreaming Sea.

I'm intending to run a new campaign on a Huge City Boat created by the players in one of those earlier campaign, and use it to travel a bit the Dreaming Sea and possibly try to make them travel somewhere else in Creation, like the SouthWest or just West.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapse View Post
                            What would someone do with a bunch of trees, right?

A good start is cutting them down.
                            Cutting wood is as much a local activity as an international one, and the setting's technological era allows for it: cargo ships in the lower hundreds of tons, immense beasts of burden, wide-reaching empires and well established trade between all major hubs mean that Eastern woods can be relatively cheap to import, especially those with properties uncommon elsewhere. There should be hundreds or thousands of villages and towns specialized in exporting wood, especially along the two gargantuan rivers on the southeast and northeast.
                            Hmmm... it's kind of obvious actually, I have considered that before, but you've given me an idea. I would like, later in the game, to possibly move my PCs down to Iscomay (if they want to) and the forests that surround it. One PC comes from a fire-manse inside that forest (giving that area more of a jungle feel) that the Guild tried to invade and loot. He and another PC hate the Guild. So I could probably do stuff with the local spirits and animals complaining about devastating Guild logging operations.

My characters:

Comment

Hmmm... it's kind of obvious actually, I have considered that before, but you've given me an idea. I would like, later in the game, to possibly move my PCs down to Iscomay (if they want to) and the forests that surround it. One PC comes from a fire-manse inside that forest (giving that area more of a jungle feel) that the Guild tried to invade and loot. He and another PC hate the Guild. So I could probably do stuff with the local spirits and animals complaining about devastating Guild logging operations.
                              That’s exactly what happened in Underfoots backstory , the Guild Expedition fleet gone up river and started major deforestation effort to set up local logging base to fund further exploration and major deforestation being his first encounter with people is the reason why he doesn’t like people and guild in particular . Safe to say he burned their ships and the Great white Apes 🦍 ate all the loggers . I doubt anyone made it out alive unless they somehow survived the perilous journey on foot.

Comment

The Solars game went from Nexus/Celeren/Lookshy (E) to the NE homebrew city of Lighthalzen, whereas the Lunars games is set in Chiaroscuro (S)

Comment

Working...
                                X