No announcement yet.

Survey: Where is your 3rd ed game set?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say, it's fun reading about everyone's campaigns.

My solar campaign is set on the western coast of the Dreaming Sea. It's currently on hold due to RL reasons.

And I'm planning a massive DB campaign set mainly on the Blessed Isle and around a few sattrapies (Notably Yirji!)

Ultimate Jade-Screened Exalted Scholar, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar
    THDR : Future Dragon-Blooded campaign, and other links.
    If you like Ex3, you can support Holden on Patreon!

Comment

Where's Yirji?

But yeah, it is interesting. I notice for example that there's plenty of games where people are playing Solars, Lunars and Dragonblood together; evidently the power difference isn't a huge hurdle.

It's also interesting to see some of the wackier stuff, like islands in the Wyld, Autocthonians exploring Creation, Dynasts in Autochthon, or a giant boat-city.

I'm also interested to see that most people seem to play/have played multiple games, which is good. It shows a vibrancy to the fanbase I guess.
      Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 09-11-2019, 10:20 AM.

My characters:
      Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
      Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

games I have run:
        Solar game that traveled the entire world
        Solar game in the Haslanti leauge

Games I have played in:
        Mortals/Solars in the Dreaming Sea
        DBs on the Blessed Isle

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
          I'm also interested to see that most people seem to play/have played multiple games, which is good. It shows a vibrancy to the fanbase I guess.
          Unfortunately, at least in my case, all those former games are also lost games, ended before their time for various reasons (the Gloam game being the worst one, as it ended due to the year 2016 in general).

The only completed Exalted game I've been in was in 2e, and so not accounted for here.

Comment

What do we mean by completed games? I think most games just go and go and go and then... stop. I've seen a few games that ended with a deliberate finale, but most just carried on and on until people got bored or something. Or continued indefinitely.

My characters:
            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
            Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

What do we mean by completed games? I think most games just go and go and go and then... stop. I've seen a few games that ended with a deliberate finale, but most just carried on and on until people got bored or something. Or continued indefinitely.
              Usually my games last a couple years until we make something else. Grandiose, definitive endings are rare, but the open stories are finished. Leto's story ended after a series of war events where the death tolls scaled up and up and then he claimed every single corpse as a servant that he then took to his fortress of ice. Monsoon Dancer's story ended when she killed yet another petty tyrant that terrorized her beloved wu-jian, but then crowned herself "queen of all that shit" and people accepted. Ivory Wasp's ended when she was blinded in a fight against a grave behemoth, decided her previous path of piety was not netting proper results and became a wanderer on the wasting tundra, a destructive spectre hounding the icewalkers forevermore.

Comment

That's good, I find generally it's more satisfying to have a game that ends properly, with a distinct victory, than just carries on and on until the ST/Players get bored.
                I've seen a number of games that got to a really good finale... and then continued, and were kind of bleh.

With my 2nd ed game, I realised it had become like that, so I decided to have a big finale (saving the world, etc), and it worked much better.

My characters:

Comment

That's good, I find generally it's more satisfying to have a game that ends properly, with a distinct victory, than just carries on and on until the ST/Players get bored.
                  I've seen a number of games that got to a really good finale... and then continued, and were kind of bleh.

With my 2nd ed game, I realised it had become like that, so I decided to have a big finale (saving the world, etc), and it worked much better.
                  My recently ended game went something like that. We spent ~2 irl years making a name for ourselves in the South and solving every problem there, culminating with taking down Ahlat and setting up a river Goddess in his stead.

Then the Circle started heading West to continue the main Campaign, which was meant to take us across all of Creation. But it felt like the story we'd actually become invested in was already over, so the game just sort of petered out.

Comment

Yeah, I did a DnD game once where we working up to a big heist over about a year, it was really good, and then I had to go to London for 3 months. When I came back, they'd done the big heist... but the game was really... meh? Sometimes the ST would retconn stuff, or move stuff around, or bring some pre-genned characters for us to play for a session. He moved us to a new city, with a new plot... and then one day came in and shouted at us for 10 minutes because of something some people hadn't understood the previous session, told us all to make new characters, and then after the game facebooked us to say he was stepping down as ST. I talked to him later and he said he really hadn't enjoyed it since we finished the big finale plot.

But it felt like the story we'd actually become invested in was already over,
                    I think one thing here is, because you're moving to a new situation, all the NPCs your characters have made alliance with are gone, and all their achievements feel maybe redundant? Because you've brought peace to the land and so forth, but now you've gone somewhere else where that hasn't happened.

(Our two main antagonists are Ahlat and his empire, and the Realm. Replacing him with a different god sounds like a plan. And I can think of just the one...)

My characters:

Comment

All of my games for the past few years have had definitive endings, usually ones that had been planned out from the start of the game. Usually I start things off by introducing small, easily solved problems, things that take 1-3 sessions to fix and then they’re fixed and it’s a solid victory. So I’ll start with a few of them, get the players used to the world and building interactions, then move onto some bigger problems with longer arcs, then even longer arcs that take multiple stories to complete. So they’ll get a solid victory, but that victory won’t defeat their current antagonist. And then for the last one or two they’re big huge sweeping arcs with several smaller adventures and a lot more complex problems that are more me going “here, you guys have a lot of power and connections now, figure this one out.” As well as the players taking a lot more active roles in how things go.

Comment

Where's Yirji?

But yeah, it is interesting. I notice for example that there's plenty of games where people are playing Solars, Lunars and Dragonblood together; evidently the power difference isn't a huge hurdle.

It's also interesting to see some of the wackier stuff, like islands in the Wyld, Autocthonians exploring Creation, Dynasts in Autochthon, or a giant boat-city.

My multiple games is mostly that I had to move cities and now I live in another province. So, I play one game on Saturdays with my local players, and some Tuesdays I play with my old players on Skype :P

Comment

Originally posted by The MG View Post
                          [...]a solo DB game in some nonspecific part of the North.
                          I asked the ST, and it turns it out it's set in the Northeast, largely north of Chanta and east of Icehome.

As for what I meant by "completed" games... Anything that doesn't feel unfinished, really. If it has something like an ending, or the group agrees that they're satisfied, a game can be said to be complete.

Comment

Originally posted by Clophiroth View Post

My multiple games is mostly that I had to move cities and now I live in another province. So, I play one game on Saturdays with my local players, and some Tuesdays I play with my old players on Skype :P
                            That kind of thing is probably the case for a lot of people.

I play DnD with my friends in Brighton, where I live, and play Exalted over Skype with my old friends from university. But for some reason we've ended up doing 5 Exalted games, each game generally 1/month, rather than 1 or 2. I think it's generally because people have had new ideas for games and haven't wanted to end the old ones. For example, when I had the idea for a Lunar game, I thought I should wait until some of the other games ended but the players said it'd be better to start while people were still excited by the new book.

My characters:

Comment

My Solar campaign is set in the North, and has been fairly wide-ranging in that direction; the Circle's home base is near the northern part of the Haslanti league, but they've gone as far south as Medo and are currently in Whitewall.

Comment

I'm currently running a Lunars game set in the North, and have in the past run a Solar one near Ma-Ha-Suchi's neck of the woods. I've participated as a player in a northern Solars game and a Prasadi DB one.

Iä! Iä! Moe fthagn!

Comment

Working...
                                X