Survey: Where is your 3rd ed game set?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wizard of Oz
    started a topic Survey: Where is your 3rd ed game set?

Survey: Where is your 3rd ed game set?

On the Isle? The Dreaming Sea? The Scavenger Lands? The Cinder Coast?

I'm just curious as to how popular different areas are for different splat types, and how much people are using the new areas that 3rd ed has introduced.

Nalak42 (Db) - North
    Uknown Darklord - North
    BadassOverlord (S) - North
    Kerredai - North
    BadassOverlord (Db) - North
    Zardoz (Db) - North
    Satoshi (S) - North
    Valles (L) - North
    Valles (S) - North
    Clophiroth (Db) - North
    Epitome (S/L) - Far North-East
    DrLoveMonkey (S) - Far North-East
    The MG (Db) - North-East
    Oz (L) - North-East
    Sagara (S) - North-East
    The MG (S) - Gloam
    Synapse (S/L/Db/Ab) - East
    Valles - Scavenger Lands/East
    Zardoz (S) - Scavenger Lands
    Uknown Darklord - Scavenger Lands
    Janissay87 (S) - Scavenger Lands
    Sagara (S) - Scavenger Lands
    Katana1515 - Scavenger Lands
    ArcainOne - Scavenger Lands
    Epitome (S) - Scavenger Lands
    Dietaku (S/L) - Scavenger Lands
    DrLoveMonkey - Scavenger Lands
    Taleksi (S/L) - Scavenger Lands
    Alucard (S/L/Db) - Scavenger Lands
    Pram - Scavenger Lands
    Valles (Db) - Dreaming Sea
    Epee (S/L/Db) - Dreaming Sea
    Kelly (S/Alch) - Dreaming Sea
    The MG (DB) - Dreaming Sea
    Sagara (S/M) - Dreaming Sea
    Chausse - Dreaming Sea
    Zardoz (S) - Dreaming Sea
    LeTipex (S) - Dreaming Sea
    The MG (S) - Dreaming Sea
    The MG (S) - South-East (not Dreaming Sea)
    Oz (S/L) - South-East (not Dreaming Sea)
    Oz (S/L/Db/FF) - South
    Katana1515 - South
    DrLoveMonkey - South
    Sundance - South
    BadassOverlord (S) - South
    Epitome (S/Db) - South
    Clophiroth (L) - South-West
    DrLoveMonkey (DB) - South-West and Blessed Isle
    The MG (S) - South-West
    Clophiroth (Db) - South-West
    Kunoichi (S/L/Db) - South-West
    BadassOverlord (S) - South-West
    BadassOverlord (L) - South-West
    Simon (Db/S) - South-West and West
    DrLoveMonkey (S) - West
    ArcainOne - West
    Sith_Happens - West
    Synapse (S/L/Db) - West
    Pram - West
    Alucard (S) - West
    DrLoveMonkey - West
    The MG (S) - West
    Eldagusto (S) - Far North-West.
    Zardoz (Db) - Autocthon
    Sagara (Db) - Blessed Isle

(Some of these are previous games no longer running, but I've tried to stick to 3rd edition.)

What about your groups?
    Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 09-19-2019, 09:08 AM.

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Okay, so it's gone a little quieter, so I'll round up the results (though more people can feel free to post).

10 games in the North
    5 games in the North-East
    1 or 2 in the East proper
    12 in the Scavenger Lands
    11 in the South-East, 9 of them around the Dreaming Sea.
    6 in the South
    7 or 8 in the South-West
    8 in the West
    And a few in other places; 1 in Autocthon, 1 in Gloam, 1 on the Blessed Isle.

Solar games are the most popular, followed by mixed games... that tend to be mostly Solars.

There are 10 Dragonblood games (which are mostly not on the Blessed Isle, but are a bit). There are 4 Lunar games... none of which, interestingly, are in the Scavenger Lands or Dreaming Sea.

I guess this probably reflects the amount of time that the splatbooks have been out,

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Solars in Lookshy is definitely a bit different!

Leave a comment:

• ArcainOne
    replied
    I've two Solar campaigns going on.

First and oldest is located in Wavecrest, specifically Windgate and Goldsails. Players are currently working to gather support for Wavecrest to abandon their connection with the realm while facing known threat of pirate armada from coral and the unknown threat of Abyssal Captains hunting down legendary artifacts to supplement their secret Armada in Skullstone. Mean while one of the dragon blooded houses is planning on using Wavecrest as a bug out territory and are trying to take full control of the region with out raising suspicions back home.

The Second campaign is in... Lookshy. Yep... a full solar circle who calls the city of Dragon Blooded home. We have a few born and bred Lookshian citizens who ultimately believe that Lookshy is the greatest city that represents freedom of the river province despite their attitude towards Solars. We are playing a a lot with the purists vs everyone else as one of the players has effectively been ousted as a Solar already. Pulling from 2nd edition's attitude toward solar exalted (they are tolorated until they are dangerous) plus the idea that Lookshy deal with their problem citizens themselves. The ousted character has become a tool for Lookshy rather than execution on the Chumyo's orders and the effects that will have on Lookshy as a Dragon Blooded / Shogunate / old school immaculate faith / second age mindset.

Leave a comment:

• Sundance
    replied
    The current game I'm running is set in the deep south, based pretty firmly around Gem, apart from a quick excursion up the Diamond Road and another to Goldenseal. After the first big plotline is finished, though, I expect the story to make its way to the coast around Zhaojun.

Leave a comment:

• Sith_Happens
    replied
    Current game I’m in is... we know it’s further west than Wavecrest but have never definitely settled on a latitude.

Leave a comment:

• Valles
    replied
    I'm currently running a Lunars game set in the North, and have in the past run a Solar one near Ma-Ha-Suchi's neck of the woods. I've participated as a player in a northern Solars game and a Prasadi DB one.

Leave a comment:

• Kerredai
    replied
    My Solar campaign is set in the North, and has been fairly wide-ranging in that direction; the Circle's home base is near the northern part of the Haslanti league, but they've gone as far south as Medo and are currently in Whitewall.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by Clophiroth View Post

My multiple games is mostly that I had to move cities and now I live in another province. So, I play one game on Saturdays with my local players, and some Tuesdays I play with my old players on Skype :P
    That kind of thing is probably the case for a lot of people.

I play DnD with my friends in Brighton, where I live, and play Exalted over Skype with my old friends from university. But for some reason we've ended up doing 5 Exalted games, each game generally 1/month, rather than 1 or 2. I think it's generally because people have had new ideas for games and haven't wanted to end the old ones. For example, when I had the idea for a Lunar game, I thought I should wait until some of the other games ended but the players said it'd be better to start while people were still excited by the new book.

Leave a comment:

• The MG
    replied
    Originally posted by The MG View Post
    [...]a solo DB game in some nonspecific part of the North.
    I asked the ST, and it turns it out it's set in the Northeast, largely north of Chanta and east of Icehome.

As for what I meant by "completed" games... Anything that doesn't feel unfinished, really. If it has something like an ending, or the group agrees that they're satisfied, a game can be said to be complete.

Leave a comment:

• Clophiroth
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Where's Yirji?

But yeah, it is interesting. I notice for example that there's plenty of games where people are playing Solars, Lunars and Dragonblood together; evidently the power difference isn't a huge hurdle.

It's also interesting to see some of the wackier stuff, like islands in the Wyld, Autocthonians exploring Creation, Dynasts in Autochthon, or a giant boat-city.

I'm also interested to see that most people seem to play/have played multiple games, which is good. It shows a vibrancy to the fanbase I guess.
    My multiple games is mostly that I had to move cities and now I live in another province. So, I play one game on Saturdays with my local players, and some Tuesdays I play with my old players on Skype :P

Leave a comment:

• DrLoveMonkey
    replied
    All of my games for the past few years have had definitive endings, usually ones that had been planned out from the start of the game. Usually I start things off by introducing small, easily solved problems, things that take 1-3 sessions to fix and then they’re fixed and it’s a solid victory. So I’ll start with a few of them, get the players used to the world and building interactions, then move onto some bigger problems with longer arcs, then even longer arcs that take multiple stories to complete. So they’ll get a solid victory, but that victory won’t defeat their current antagonist. And then for the last one or two they’re big huge sweeping arcs with several smaller adventures and a lot more complex problems that are more me going “here, you guys have a lot of power and connections now, figure this one out.” As well as the players taking a lot more active roles in how things go.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Yeah, I did a DnD game once where we working up to a big heist over about a year, it was really good, and then I had to go to London for 3 months. When I came back, they'd done the big heist... but the game was really... meh? Sometimes the ST would retconn stuff, or move stuff around, or bring some pre-genned characters for us to play for a session. He moved us to a new city, with a new plot... and then one day came in and shouted at us for 10 minutes because of something some people hadn't understood the previous session, told us all to make new characters, and then after the game facebooked us to say he was stepping down as ST. I talked to him later and he said he really hadn't enjoyed it since we finished the big finale plot.

But it felt like the story we'd actually become invested in was already over,
    I think one thing here is, because you're moving to a new situation, all the NPCs your characters have made alliance with are gone, and all their achievements feel maybe redundant? Because you've brought peace to the land and so forth, but now you've gone somewhere else where that hasn't happened.

(Our two main antagonists are Ahlat and his empire, and the Realm. Replacing him with a different god sounds like a plan. And I can think of just the one...)

Leave a comment:

• Epitome
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    That's good, I find generally it's more satisfying to have a game that ends properly, with a distinct victory, than just carries on and on until the ST/Players get bored.
    I've seen a number of games that got to a really good finale... and then continued, and were kind of bleh.

With my 2nd ed game, I realised it had become like that, so I decided to have a big finale (saving the world, etc), and it worked much better.
    My recently ended game went something like that. We spent ~2 irl years making a name for ourselves in the South and solving every problem there, culminating with taking down Ahlat and setting up a river Goddess in his stead.

Then the Circle started heading West to continue the main Campaign, which was meant to take us across all of Creation. But it felt like the story we'd actually become invested in was already over, so the game just sort of petered out.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    That's good, I find generally it's more satisfying to have a game that ends properly, with a distinct victory, than just carries on and on until the ST/Players get bored.
    I've seen a number of games that got to a really good finale... and then continued, and were kind of bleh.

With my 2nd ed game, I realised it had become like that, so I decided to have a big finale (saving the world, etc), and it worked much better.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X