Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On being the lone supernatural (exalt) in modern word

So here's the backstory:
    Girl wants to be a doctor. Maybe they think it's not right for a girl. Maybe they're hippies and they want her to be an environmentalist.
    Either way, she wants to be one and she works for it. Sleepless nights, reading medical textbooks. Slipping away to borrow books from a library. Squeezing online lectures between homework time. Maybe she disguises herself and enters classes.
    In the end, success. She gets the credential, or graduates, or whatever.
    And in that end, in her search for excellence and self determination amongst people who do not support her... She exalts.

Determinator. Motivation is to cure both the ills of the world and of mankind. High Compassion. Think of it like 'hippy'.

Skills in stealth and Larceny and Computer (lore). Medicine supernal. She starts off healing birds in the shelter. Then making medicines. Then she sneaks into the hospital under a disguise and starts healing people. People start noticing the miraculous healing. Reporters start coming in.

The reveal comes when there's a 15-car pileup, and as she sends out a combo to heal them all, she begins flaring. Brightly. Very brightly. And its the age of smartphones.

There is no supernatural here. There is no spirits. No thaumaturges. No elementals. No gods. Not even mortal sorcerers or the Wyld.

And now this girl is the one and only solar exalted on the planet.

How would you think the world would react to a solar exalted super-healer?

Depends. Where is she from? Which country? Does she have strong political views? More importantly, what about religion? Because she could possibly claim (or believe, or be believed) to be the second coming of Christ, what with all the healing. Or the anti-Christ.

My characters:
    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
    Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
      Depends. Where is she from? Which country? Does she have strong political views? More importantly, what about religion? Because she could possibly claim (or believe, or be believed) to be the second coming of Christ, what with all the healing. Or the anti-Christ.
      Does the word 'hippie' mean anything to you?

Strong political views? Yes! (she wouldn't really be a solar exalt without something that would cause her to come into conflict with the powers that be)

Atheist. Not that it'll dissuade the crazies.

I'm thinking either American or British.

Alternatively, setting this story in PRC China can be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post

Does the word 'hippie' mean anything to you?
        Yes, but it doesn't answer all the questions. "Hippies" can have a big variety of religious views. And be from a variety of countries. But American or British, sure. There's likely a big difference in how religious groups react to her based on that though; it'd likely be very different in Britain than America.

Alternatively, setting this story in PRC China can be nice.
        Now that'd be radically different. The government would be all over her. I mean, they would be in America or Britain too, but they're less likely to arrest her family if she doesn't play ball.

It is worth noting that, even with smartphones, if she tries to hide (and it sounds like she is) then a lot of people might well assume it's a hoax.
        Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 09-08-2019, 12:30 PM.

My characters:
        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
        Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Someone is getting sniped.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

I don't think that the government would, but in America I could definitely see her becoming a target for a nutty extremist sniper.

Not in Britain, but that doesn't mean she might not attract a disturbed person who might try to kill her a different way.

My characters:

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
              I don't think that the government would
              Hippie with superpowers.

You think a drone strike then? I was thinking a sniper leaves more for the dissection, but I guess the government agents might think the power resides in the brain.

Look at Bin Laden. The government is not above sending in a kill-team for targets of interest. I don't see this girl getting due process, let alone life, liberty and happiness. This is a text book Ruby Ridge/Waco Massacre.

[Edit]

Ok, I just described the set up to my partner who asked "what if she's white?"

... I guess I've got a lot of racial baggage tied up with this, so I'm going to bow out here.
              Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-08-2019, 01:40 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Just like with your proposed War Supernal Japanese soldier in World War 2, Accelerator, there's no single straightforward ultimate answer. What do you want to have happen?
                Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 09-08-2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                  Hippie with superpowers.

You think a drone strike then? I was thinking a sniper leaves more for the dissection, but I guess the government agents might think the power resides in the brain.
                  I think they'd want her alive first.

Originally posted by "JohnDoe244
                  Ok, I just described the set up to my partner who asked "what if she's white?"
                  And attractive, articulate and on TV.

There's a lot of variations that could happen depending on who and where she is.

My characters:

Comment

I think that if the government had full knowledge about everything a Solar Exalt can become capable of, in a general sense, they would definitely want her dead before she could grow too powerful. I'm not sure I'd blame them.

She isn't described as having particularly strong social skills, but it doesn't take all that much investment in the relevant Abilities and Charms for a Solar to reach frightening levels of social ability, from a mortal's perspective. Seriously, just imagine if there was someone out there who disagrees with your strongly held political views and is so persuasive that they could easily convince you if you ever listened. That's terrifying.

However, if she is known primarily as a healer and her potential to become amazingly powerful in any endeavor isn't really understood, her survival chances are a lot better. I think scientists would want to study her extensively, trying to figure out how her abilities work and whether they could be replicated somehow. (No, the scientists wouldn't cut her open to study her. They're not going to destroy their only test subject.)

If she can cure otherwise-incurable diseases, wealthy people who have those are going to offer a lot of money for her to visit them. (If I were in her position, I'd probably take the money. I might end up donating large portions of the money to causes I supported, but I'd certainly take it.) People who don't have a lot of money will still bombard her with offers of whatever they can afford to pay, or just beg her to help them (understandably).

It's going to be a huge mess. Think about what it's like for people who win the lottery, except dramatically more so -- there are any number of people with money, but she's totally unique. There's only one shiny miracle healer, and there are a lot more people who need her help than she could ever get around to helping.

...Things might get a little better if she can figure out how to mass-produce seven bounties paste, age-staving cordial and other natural-magic stuff from Creation, but the components probably aren't available on Earth.

(If I were the lone Exalt in a normal modern world, I would be absolutely desperate to remain a secret, because yikes.)

Comment

Let's not forget that the Vatican would send people sniffing the second the word "miracle" gets used to describe her work. Especially if she shows anima while working.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                        Let's not forget that the Vatican would send people sniffing the second the word "miracle" gets used to describe her work. Especially if she shows anima while working.
                        Sure they would, but is that particularly important? No doubt every religious authority will have very strong opinions one way or another, but I'm not sure that matters except to devoutly religious people who take those authorities very seriously (and the former doesn't necessarily imply the latter).

Admittedly, I'd be curious which way the Vatican would fall on that one. I don't think they would be too keen to denounce someone who's flinging glorious healing magic around, but could they really accept an atheist as a wielder of divine miracles?

Perhaps more interesting: if the Catholic church did proclaim that the Solar healer is some kind of witch and not a font of divine miracles, do you think that a Catholic person with terminal cancer (or whatever) would let that stop them from asking her for help? Perhaps some would, but desperate people are good at justifying things to themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
                          Sure they would, but is that particularly important?
                          I didn't feel it was important so much as interesting.

​But then again, I'm the kind of guy who'd want to watch a Marvel movie centered around a Christian single dad having a crisis of faith in the aftermath of the Battle of New York, after the world at large learned that yes, Thor and Loki are objectively real people, and ultimately apologizing to and seeking to reconcile with the daughter he disowned a year prior when she came out to him as trans.

Comment

Girl gets dissected in the govmt lab , the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
                              but I'm not sure that matters except to devoutly religious people who take those authorities very seriously (and the former doesn't necessarily imply the latter).
                              I think that, when someone is performing the miraculous and there's no scientific explanation, many (not all, but many) people are going to take alternate (religious, sci-fi theories like she's psychic or an alien, etc) explanations more seriously.

The point about her being an atheist is a good one; she can hardly be a Saint if she's an atheist.
                              I can definitely see Millenial Dispensationalists (especially if she's American) considering her the anti-Christ. The Catholic Church probably not though. They may investigate, but the Pope is likely to argue that there's a scientific explanation first, or just say "we don't know" as they do on some issues. Not to say everyone in the Church will have the same response.

I guess actually it's quite significant as to what she says. I mean, she presumably won't say "it's a miracle from God"... so what does she tell people? Magic? Aliens? "I don't know?"

My characters:

Comment

Working...
                              X