Meteor Hammers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meteor Hammers

just a quick question: in your opinions, what keywords would be most appropriate a weapon like a meteor hammer? I figure it'd be a medium melee weapon, and definitely martial arts as one. What others should I give it?

I have an idea for an artifact sling and one evocation would let it act as one of these

Bashing, Reaching, Smashing. Maybe Flexible.

Comment

My impression is it looks more like a Light weapon than a Medium one.

I'd add Reaching, Two-Handed, and a Special tag mentioning it can attack from Short range but cannot be used to Parry.

Comment

Given MA is kinda expected for this weapon, the "penalty" to parry using such restriction will amount, in practice, to nothing if it's a light weapon.

That said, what's the basis for calling it light, medium or heavy? It's one of the more "wind up" weapons around, so Medium sounded like a decent compromise of being complicated to use and packing a punch.
        I'd also rather not make melee weapons that strike past Close range. It's one of the most easily exploitable mechanics around. The books tend to leave such treats to powerful evocations and hulking creatures built for that.

Comment

Sorry if this is a dumb question: what is a meteor hammer? how does it look?

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_hammer
            It's a chain with no handle and two weights on each end, or a handle and a weight. The single weight version plays more on its extended reach.

As with most chain weapons, most movements rely on you winding it up with your body, lest it's just a glorified thrown rock.
            Last edited by Synapse; 09-09-2019, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
              I figure it'd be a medium melee weapon, and definitely martial arts as one.
              Is it not something you use in both hands? Would that not make it Heavy?
              Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 09-09-2019, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapse View Post
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_hammer
                It's a chain with no handle and two weights on each end, or a handle and a weight. The single weight version plays more on its extended reach.

As with most chain weapons, most movements rely on you winding it up with your body, lest it's just a glorified thrown rock.
                The meteor hammer I'd seen was much lighter than this, I agree that this picture looks more like a medium weapon. And the page you linked also mentions parrying, disarming, striking from any angle, and strangling enemies with it.

So basically it's a Fighting Chain from the Core book :

Originally posted by Core book p.582
                Fighting chains are slender, sturdy chains with small weights on either end. Most fighting chains are between three and five yards long. In addition to making ordinary attacks, fighting chains can be used to perform clinches and stunts involving grabbing, pulling, and swinging from objects.

Tags: Bashing, Martial Arts, Disarming, Flexible, Grappling, Reaching
                An upside of simply using the stats of the fighting chain is you already know which Martial Arts will let you use the weapon and you already know the weapon won't break anything balance-wise.
                Last edited by Epitome; 09-09-2019, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Good point on the comparison with fighting chain.
                  If I'd still want it to be a different weapon, I'd trade grappling for smashing to emphasize the more "punchy" strikes. Should be particularly interesting for an artifact version.

Comment

For some reason in my games I counted Flail included into the Meteor Hammer category, and essentially had Meteor Hammer be the Artifact version of weapons with a chain and weight.

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                    Is it not something you use in both hands? Would that not make it Heavy?
                    Yet we have bows.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I statted them as heavy weapons personally. I wrote a martial art style based around them a while ago, you can find it in my sig under "Astral Revolutions Style". That document also includes my thoughts on why I made them that way.

EDIT: Apparently the forum yeeted my signature so here's the document in question: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

NSFW -- bloody violence and bad language

A "light" meteor hammer is a fighting chain. It can totally be used to parry. Generally used two-handed, it can (kinda) be used one-handed.

Warning -- comic book violence

A "heavy" meteor hammer would look something like this:

Heavy
                        Bashing, Martial Arts, Flexible, Reaching, Two handed
                        Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-09-2019, 02:59 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

thanks guys. I didn't think to look at fighting chains. that's actually closer to what i had in mind

Edit: if anyone is curious, I was thinking of an evocation for a Sling of Distant Surprise where it would hold the billet in the cut instead of throwing it so you could wail on people close by
                          Last edited by vampire hunter D; 09-09-2019, 09:23 PM.

Comment

One could argue that the Meteor Hammer as depicted in Kill Bill and other places is a Light or Medium Thrown Weapon with a range of Short and a Special tag that lets you easily retrieve it, as opposed to a Melee weapon. Possibly it takes your move action to retract the chain or something, so that it’s not a strictly better boomerang. Maybe give it a penalty to the disarm gambit or something?

That said, it really could go either way. I suppose the real dividing line is “if you whack a swordsperson with one, should they be able to slice back at you without moving?” Though, again “without moving” counts as using your move action and could arguably include anything from “standing still” to “running ten feet with sword ready to cut off your head” as “not moving.”

I think it can be fuzzy and either way could work. Could even have it work like Knives or Hatchets, where they get a set of Melee stats and a set of Thrown stats.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                              NSFW -- bloody violence and bad language

A "light" meteor hammer is a fighting chain. It can totally be used to parry. Generally used two-handed, it can (kinda) be used one-handed.

Warning -- comic book violence

A "heavy" meteor hammer would look something like this:

Heavy
                              Bashing, Martial Arts, Flexible, Reaching, Two handed

Actually yeah Thunderball and Absorbing Man are my go to's for Heavy Meteor Hammers. Chains are light Meteor Hammers, and medium Meteor hammers are like Go Go Yabari or knuckle to head sized weights.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
                              X