Raksha QC in core question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raksha QC in core question

So, maybe I am missing something but looking at the stats of the two Raksha QC, aren’t some of their dice/stats a little too high? Been awhile since I’ve played 3rd Ed and looking to start another group. Going over the QC rules, the Cataphract’s acc seems exceptionally high at 16.

Now given that this is a combat archtype Raksha, I expect them to have some extra oomph as they are one-dimisional “commoners” if we’re still using that distinction. Looking at the charts, 11-14 is considered the heights of dice pools for QC characters and should have caution used. If we assume 5 dex, 5 melee, w/ specialty in swords and the +2 for med wep, it comes to 13. Where is the other 3 coming from...not rly the biggest concern since again its QC but 16 to hit seems rather crazy. What am I missing?

The raksha appear to have been written with some 1e/2e assumptions, such as having inherently superhuman traits, but no dice adders -- notice how their Charms don't deal with numbers as much as the spirit Charms, or else deal with them in unusual ways (such as how the lorelei can spend dice to raise the Willpower cost to resist influence).

Effectively, the cataphract's theoretical Dexterity and Melee scores exceed five dots each.

Comment

The Raksha in Adversaries of the Righteous also reflects this, he doesn't have a single Attribute below 4, most are 5, a few are 6, and one is 7

Comment

Yeah, that's how Raksha roll.
        It makes them easy for an ST to run.

My Exalted characters:
        Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Originally posted by The MG View Post
          The raksha appear to have been written with some 1e/2e assumptions, such as having inherently superhuman traits, but no dice adders -- notice how their Charms don't deal with numbers as much as the spirit Charms, or else deal with them in unusual ways (such as how the lorelei can spend dice to raise the Willpower cost to resist influence).

Effectively, the cataphract's theoretical Dexterity and Melee scores exceed five dots each.

Thats what it appeared like but wasn’t sure given how far 3E moved away from 2E. Thank you for the clarification!

Originally posted by HamSandLich
          The Raksha in Adversaries of the Righteous also reflects this, he doesn't have a single Attribute below 4, most are 5, a few are 6, and one is 7
          Ooooo! Which one is that do you know? I’d love to DL that specific one

Comment

Adaimantus, Custodian of Utopia.

My Exalted characters:
            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Any thoughts/observations about how the "superhuman traits, no adders" thing holds up in the 3e paradigm? Are raksha stronger or weaker relative to mortals? Exalts?

Comment

Well mortals don't have traits above 5 or dice adders so "stronger than mortals" definitely.

Exalts, the answer is going to depend on the Exalt isn't it?

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

And the Raksha.

Generally speaking, they're stronger than mortals but not as strong as Dragonblood.
                  But obviously there's all sorts of factors. A mighty champion amongst Raksha could be more powerful than an Essence 2 Exalt.
                  A Raksha swordsman is probably going to to chop a corpulently fat master Solar merchant and schemer into small pieces, while a breath-taking Raksha incubus might seduce a dumb and lecherous Outcaste barbarian with ease.

My Exalted characters:

Comment

Originally posted by Blackwell View Post
                    Any thoughts/observations about how the "superhuman traits, no adders" thing holds up in the 3e paradigm? Are raksha stronger or weaker relative to mortals? Exalts?
                    Well it’s anecdotal but the Dawn in our West game got surrounded, alone, by two or three of them and he actually went down. I think he used Summon the Loyal Steel so he had his artifact weapon, but definitely not artifact armor. I think e might have stood a shot if he’d been more stingy with his mote expenditure but it’s really hard to say. Taking out one enemy fast can really relieve some pressure in a multiple opponent fight, but being low on motes and initiative is such a bad place to be.

I think the Raksha’s real power actually comes from combining those base stats the few charms they do have though. Writhing Ego Inversion not only lets them soak the hell out of most attacks, but it encourages them to spend willpower hard and early as well to keep getting the reset. If he ever gets far enough ahead in initiative to make a decisive, Dreadful Fanged Maelstrom can let him kill/cripple two weak defence characters at once.

They’re no match for combat focused DBs, but in groups and/or as commanders I’d say pretty effective. Like a young group of DBs fighting one and a pack of silver wights sounds like a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                      And the Raksha.

Generally speaking, they're stronger than mortals but not as strong as Dragonblood.
                      But obviously there's all sorts of factors. A mighty champion amongst Raksha could be more powerful than an Essence 2 Exalt.
                      A Raksha swordsman is probably going to to chop a corpulently fat master Solar merchant and schemer into small pieces, while a breath-taking Raksha incubus might seduce a dumb and lecherous Outcaste barbarian with ease.
                      Sorry, I wasn't very clear with my question. A core raksha schtick (superhuman base traits, but limited access to bonuses) has stayed the same all the way from 1e to 3e, but in 3e the fundamentals of combat changed drastically from mote economy to initiative economy. What I was looking for was opinions (if anyone has any) on whether that meaningfully changed the Raksha's threat profile relative to other character types.

Comment

Originally posted by Cydoc View Post
                        So, maybe I am missing something but looking at the stats of the two Raksha QC, aren’t some of their dice/stats a little too high? Been awhile since I’ve played 3rd Ed and looking to start another group. Going over the QC rules, the Cataphract’s acc seems exceptionally high at 16.

Now given that this is a combat archtype Raksha, I expect them to have some extra oomph as they are one-dimisional “commoners” if we’re still using that distinction. Looking at the charts, 11-14 is considered the heights of dice pools for QC characters and should have caution used. If we assume 5 dex, 5 melee, w/ specialty in swords and the +2 for med wep, it comes to 13. Where is the other 3 coming from...not rly the biggest concern since again its QC but 16 to hit seems rather crazy. What am I missing?
                        I hear we don't have the Commoner Noble dichotomy anymore in this edition. But Cataphracts were always noble.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackwell View Post
                          Sorry, I wasn't very clear with my question. A core raksha schtick (superhuman base traits, but limited access to bonuses) has stayed the same all the way from 1e to 3e, but in 3e the fundamentals of combat changed drastically from mote economy to initiative economy. What I was looking for was opinions (if anyone has any) on whether that meaningfully changed the Raksha's threat profile relative to other character types.
                          I don't see a reason it should particularly change it, but honestly I haven't seen the cataphracts used in practice.

One thing I'll say is that outnumbering people 2-1, 3-1 or 4-1 has become more advantageous than 2nd ed because of initiative and changes to how Onslaught works. And Raksha generally outnumber Exalts. But not always, of course.

My Exalted characters:

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                            I hear we don't have the Commoner Noble dichotomy anymore in this edition. But Cataphracts were always noble.
                            Make sense with the overall Fae changes made in 3E. As much as I loved the concepts in 2E, it was rather a mess to a degree. After reading the write up on Adeimantus, the city begs to be made an unshaped. A sad casualty in 3E.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

I don't see a reason it should particularly change it, but honestly I haven't seen the cataphracts used in practice.

One thing I'll say is that outnumbering people 2-1, 3-1 or 4-1 has become more advantageous than 2nd ed because of initiative and changes to how Onslaught works. And Raksha generally outnumber Exalts. But not always, of course.
                              I think its also fair to say with the changes to Rakshas, a lot of Rakshas will be independent. Playing out their own self-absorbed fantasies. Like Nobles in 3E. Not a lot, and most Raksha were commoners created by Nobles. Take out commoners and make more Fae creatures accessible to the control of a single Raksha was the idea. A group of Rakshas to agree on a single notion and actively pool their personal existential-narratives together is a rather big feat. Especially if they care for long considering their fickle nature.

Comment

Working...
                              X