No announcement yet.

Best Control Spells?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keel Cleaves the Clouds is pretty useful since it enables a sorcerer to walk on mist or fog while constantly surrounding them in fog they can disperse with ease. Extra mobility not a useless thing.

Comment

I'm definitely on Team Travel Without Distance. The marginal benefit of its control effect just seems so much greater than almost any other spell.

Comment

Yeah, it massively transforms the utility of the spell.

My characters:
        Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
        Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

I have it as my control spell and I personally think it’s a badly written spell it , it should let you take people with you by default and control effect should reduce how tired you are after it or distance travelled maybe .

Comment

Mists of Eventide, no question. It just does way too much compared to everything else - either the mind-control aspect or the plume would be strong on their own; together they're stronger than most charms. It can be used for utility to reflexively mind-control a weak target, or just to drop a debuff on stronger opponents in a fight (and if they do crash, it can swing entire fights.) Since it's reflexive, costs nothing, and can be used 1/scene, there's pretty much no reason not to use it constantly.

...wait, the plume was removed from the final version, right?
            Last edited by Aquillion; 09-14-2019, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquillion View Post
              Mists of Eventide, no question. It just does way too much compared to everything else - either the mind-control aspect or the plume would be strong on their own; together they're stronger than most charms. It can be used for utility to reflexively mind-control a weak target, or just to drop a debuff on stronger opponents in a fight (and if they do crash, it can swing entire fights.) Since it's reflexive, costs nothing, and can be used 1/scene, there's pretty much no reason not to use it constantly.

...wait, the plume was removed from the final version, right?
              Yeah, its down to just making the person fall asleep and gaining control of their dreams and being able to control their actions while sleeping. What was the plume again?

Also, in a more socially oriented campaign corrupted words has a very useful control effect seeing how it makes it a pain in the neck for anyone to notice that you used the spell until they hit the effect and even then the text says it tends to make it hard for the victims to know who the source of their affliction is. (I assume this only from the physical seeing the sign part, not many suspects needed if they find themselves unable to talk about witnessing you murder a person.)

Comment

Terrestrial: Mists of Eventide, no contest but still an honorable mention for Corrupted Words.

Celestial: GTFO buttons are great and all but an ever-growing library of freely replayable documentary holograms is just too useful to pass up and much harder to duplicate the uses of by other means.

Solar: Benediction’s the only one whose control bonus does all that much of anything in the first place.

Comment

Rain of Doom's control effect is useful actually. It takes hours for the spell to form, by which time those who recognise it have probably fled. But with the control effect you can chase them around with it.

My characters:
                  Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                  Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
                  Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                    Yeah, its down to just making the person fall asleep and gaining control of their dreams and being able to control their actions while sleeping. What was the plume again?
                    In an earlier version you could also exhale a plume of the mist (with all those effects) reflexively, for free, 1/scene. On top of everything else.

It was... overpowered.

Comment

I really, really enjoyed Flight of Separation's control effect. I can see characters taking it for the control effect and not for the basic effect, even.
                      After all, who wouldn't like to have a little bird tell you when something interesting happens?

Oh, Torrential Cascade Control is also very powerful, if niche. If you don't let it reach long range, it stays on indefinitely. Get yourself a bodyguard and this is all but guaranteed to rout every battle group ever.
                      I am now imagining the sorcerer on top of a low-altitude cirrus skiff, protected by a powerful demon, rushing along the Cascade and cackling maniacally.
                      Last edited by Synapse; 09-16-2019, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapse View Post
                        I really, really enjoyed Flight of Separation's control effect. I can see characters taking it for the control effect and not for the basic effect, even.
                        After all, who wouldn't like to have a little bird tell you when something interesting happens?

Oh, Torrential Cascade Control is also very powerful, if niche. If you don't let it reach long range, it stays on indefinitely. Get yourself a bodyguard and this is all but guaranteed to rout every battle group ever.
                        I am now imagining the sorcerer on top of a low-altitude cirrus skiff, protected by a powerful demon, rushing along the Cascade and cackling maniacally.
                        I thought you were going to say a maniacally cackling sorceror on a surf board lol.

Comment

Working...
                        X