Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Booming Voice - when the Unconquered Sun addresses you during your Exaltation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Booming Voice - when the Unconquered Sun addresses you during your Exaltation

So when seeing some exaltations, the sun just... talks to the character. Whether to congragulate them. Give them a command. Or to tell them why they are being chosen for this.

So in your games, what do you do? Why do you do it? Is your character cognizant of being chosen by the King of Heaven, or is he just bumbling about, confused? Do you put the Unconquered Sun as a kind father, or a commanding king? And what is your opinion on giving characters this 'exaltation speech'?

Canon, all Zeniths and a rare few others get a message from the Sun on Exaltation. There's a chapter fiction in the Corebook where he possesses a statue of himself to address Perfect Soul. After that you never get talked to again.

I've had Iggy D appear to characters as a shimmering heat mirrage, possessed statue, etherial hologram delivering a voicemail message, words whispered softly on rays of sunlight, a booming voice from the sky, a hooded stranger that blazes with the unsmotherable light of Creation's sun, and occassionally in the flesh as a many armed, reptilian war god.

But in 95% of all my games, the players start having been Exalted for ~5 years and any visit from the Sun has already happened in their backstory.

My headcannon is that the Sun is too perfect to be understood by mortals. He's too... large. Encompasses too many things. He is both a kind father and a commanding king and the most humble being in creation and the greatest, most obvious paragon of all things good and right, and perfectly just and fuelled by firey vengence and infinitely compassionate and forgiving. So when mortals see Him, they see the aspect that most suits them.

Not the aspect they want to see or expect to see or the aspect which is most like them. The aspect they need to see.

Maybe an embattled general sees the perfect war god who has lent her his power. Maybe she sees the loving father she never knew. Maybe she sees a halo'd Jesus-figure come to teach her forgiveness.

It really depends on what the player wants for their character.

I really like Perfect Soul's speach. She comes looking for help then spurns an absentee king. She gets given divine power and entreated to use it as she sees fit. Reminds me of Bruce Almighty-meets-Hercules.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
      So in your games, what do you do? Why do you do it? Is your character cognizant of being chosen by the King of Heaven, or is he just bumbling about, confused? Do you put the Unconquered Sun as a kind father, or a commanding king? And what is your opinion on giving characters this 'exaltation speech'?
      Well with the feeling of being Exalted, they're going to know inherently that they are not demons as per the Immaculate Order. I think most of Creation does at least recognize the Unconquered Sun in one capacity or another, with varying degrees of how "hands off" or attentive he is to humans.

Confusion should be the last thing that the speech gives. They should be aware just who is speaking to them. That it is the god of Heaven. As far as the aspect of TUS, that depends on the character and the manner of their exaltation I would say.

Confusion after the fact of how their exaltation jives with immaculate and other philosophies is another thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
        So when seeing some exaltations, the sun just... talks to the character. Whether to congragulate them. Give them a command. Or to tell them why they are being chosen for this.

So in your games, what do you do? Why do you do it?
        Like John, most of the Solar characters I play, play alongside, or have run games featuring, were exalted before the game and so it's really up to the players what the speech was about.

Most Zenith players do have something, but I've never seen anyone make it a really big thing for their character, honestly.

Do you put the Unconquered Sun as a kind father, or a commanding king?
        In the 2nd ed game they met him once, and he was a... I guess a flawed ruler who appeared like a wise and just and glorious king. He kind of left the PCs to make their own decisions, because basically he was testing them, so his personality probably didn't come across much when he said "I appoint you three as judges in the court case of Lyta's killing of Chejop Kejak".

In 3rd ed, I killed him off (partly to move the setting forward, partly as a 1000 Dooms kind of thing... well, 2 Dooms I guess, one the PCs dealt with and one they didn't. And partly because I don't like him as a character). Autocthon became the new ruler of the Celestial City. So no more speeches.
        But I stopped running it, and a new ST came in, and he said he was retconning it... but as Yu-Shan is 99% blocked off, and the PCs never really checked, it was never clear what'd happened with him, so that's fine.
        Saying that, the new ST said he was doing something different with the Incarnae... yet I notice my new Lunar character got no visit from Luna. Not sure about Zeniths.

Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord
        Confusion should be the last thing that the speech gives.
        What makes for a better story? I think generally speaking it's best if it's quite clear (Saul's conversion wouldn't really work if he wasn't sure who was speaking to him), but there might be some characters for whom it's better for it to be more something they interpet through their own world-view, etc.

Although only one was a Zenith, I've seen a few characters who believed their powers came from their own patron god, not the Sun, and it worked well.
        Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 09-11-2019, 09:53 AM.

My characters:
        Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
        Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post
          I think most of Creation does at least recognize the Unconquered Sun in one capacity or another, with varying degrees of how "hands off" or attentive he is to humans.
          Sun Worship is quite an obvious and common thing, though I can see the argument that he doesn't grant prayers the way other gods do. It's part of the overall lessened popularity of Celestial Gods' worship compared to local Terrestrial Courts that characterises the Age of Sorrows.

In the absence of a world-spanning priesthood, and discouragement of his worship by the Immaculate Order, I think his worship is going to be very different in different areas.

For example, in my Lunars game in the far North-East, Helios the Sun-Goddess is a goddess that farmers pray to for the coming of spring and enough sunshine to help their crops grow. She's a fairly popular goddess, but not one with a lot of influence, as she never turns up and talks to people, unlike the River Goddess, Bay Goddess, local Mountain God, other River God, etc.

Whereas in the burning deserts of the South, he may be seen as a cruel and judgemental god who must be propitiated lest he burn you to death, or perhaps one whose name must not be spoken lest it attract his attention, with people praying to the trickster-god of Shadows to hide them from the Sun.

(Is there a canon god of shadows?)
          Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 09-11-2019, 10:02 AM.

My characters:
          Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
          Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

(Is there a canon god of shadows?)
            Five Days Darkness.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Is he actually God of Shadows? I thought he was God of Calibration who happens to be the shadow of the Unconquered Sun.
              (Oddly, since in Calibration the sun is still there but the Moon is not. And maybe the stars? Not sure, it's somewhat inconsistent. Anyhow, it's not really five days of darkness at all.)

My characters:

Comment

He only claims the title God of Calibration for himself as a middle-finger against the calendar's gods, Heaven actually doesn't employ him at all.

And only the Moon is missing in Calibration in Ex3 I think, going by the corebook.

The year ends with the five days of Calibration, when the weather is in disorder and Luna hides her face
                Last edited by Jen; 09-11-2019, 12:44 PM.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

At least the weather is in disorder, it's not just a long New Moon.

My characters:

Comment

Is he actually God of Shadows?
                    No. He's a god, and he's a shadow, but he's not officially god of anything, not even Calibration.

(Oddly, since in Calibration the sun is still there but the Moon is not. And maybe the stars? Not sure, it's somewhat inconsistent. Anyhow, it's not really five days of darkness at all.)
                    People keep saying this, but I don't see marijuana enthusiasts in Creation having to smoke goose down before they can get high, just because the Lady of Intoxicants is named Burning Feather.
                    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 09-11-2019, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X