• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fistful of charms

Something I created, for a modernish story I'm trying to write

Efficacious Masseuse Technique
    Medicine: 2
    Essence: 1

The solar knows the acupuncture. He knows the stress points of the body. He knows the places where muscles knot, and cartilage cracks. A solar using this charm carries out a 15 minute dramatic action, where he relieves stress, undos tension, and purifies unclean essence. After this, the target of the charm is relieved of all penalties from fatigue, and regains one temporary willpower. For the rest of the day, the target rolls for fatigue at double the time interval

Blessed nourishment prana
    Craft: 2
    Essence: 1

The sun itself is a bringer of light, heat, and life to Creation. And so is the Solar. The charm supplements an action to create food, medicine, or anything which is consumed. The food becomes tasty and nourishing, no matter how poor the starting ingredients were. The food also enhances the one eating it, power coursing through their body as it is digested. For the rest of the day, the eater gains (Solar's essence) of extra dice in any attribute or ability the solar chooses.

Electronic infiltration methodology
    Larceny: 3
    Essence 1
    Some thieves could pick locks. Mortals, in their desire for security, attempt to improve them. There are more things now. Biometric sensors, card readers, and voice detectors. All of which are bypassed the same as any other. One lock is the same as the other, in the eyes of the Solar Exalted. This supplements an attempt to infiltrate a facility, where high tech defenses reside. Here, a Solar can flash a bookshop gift card and have it be accepted, open his eyes to be scanned, press his finger upon the scanner, and still be allowed in regardless of his true credentials. This can be defeated by thaumaturgy.

All look good in principle. I have a few thoughts?

What are the costs? Are they committed?

Any limit to how much Willpower Efficacious Masseuse Technique can restore?

"Extra dice" means "Charm dice", right?

I don't think Solar charms should generally effect all rolls based on a given Attribute.

Any pre-reqs?

I'd allow Door-Evading Technique to defeat electronic locks. Granted Electronic infiltration methodology seems to do more than that, but I'd probably pitch it midway between Lock Opening Touch and Door-Evading Technique.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

No comitting, save for the infiltration one. Willpower recovery is only one. Extra dice mean charm dice.

Pre-reqs? These are low-down. Only an excellency or another charm.

That's a different thing. Door-evading technique lets you walk through doors and gateways. Electronic infiltration can let you sidle up to the door, tap your bus pass and finger, and you walk in as the VI greets you. Its the difference between being able to infiltrate a palace as a ninja, and walking in as a fake noble.

Comment

Only one Willpower... per day? Scene? Ever? Every time the Charm is used?

Can you chain a two-hour massage session to get 8WP?

Flawlessly Impenetrable Disguise and Door-Evading Technique require Larcency 4. I'm a little wary of pegging Electronic infiltration methodology below this level. Especially as Door-Evading Technique is Essence 3 and Lock-Opening Touch requires a roll to avoid complications. Electronic infiltration methodology seems very powerful.

It's fine in concept, but as I said, I'd peg it between Lock Opening Touch and Door-Evading Technique. But if you wanted to build it off Flawlessly Impenetrable Disguise that'd be appropriate too.

+5 Dexterity all day is still pretty powerful if the motes aren't committed.
        Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-11-2019, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
          Only one Willpower... per day? Scene? Ever? Every time the Charm is used?

Can you chain a two-hour massage session to get 8WP?
          1 willpower a day.

Comment

I echo many of the above concerns, plus am a tad weirded out by the implications of your Craft one; can you make a literal shit sandwich that boosts the eater’s Socialize? What about stuff that’s generally inedible or even poisonous?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
              I echo many of the above concerns, plus am a tad weirded out by the implications of your Craft one; can you make a literal shit sandwich that boosts the eater’s Socialize? What about stuff that’s generally inedible or even poisonous?
              There's an old Werewolf Gift (and possibly a D&D spell) that basically makes inedible crap a nourishing meal. I don't think the premise should be outside the scope of Solar Craft Charms. The exact mechanics are debatable but is a tasty s*** sandwich really a stretch compared to, say Kopi Luwak coffee? Or Ceviche? Or honey? Or chicken periods served sunny side up? Or sausage?
              Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-11-2019, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Isn't Touch of Blissful Relief a pain-relieving Charm?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Maybe addendum that the food itself must be normal?

Comment

I don't think the premise should be outside the scope of Solar Craft Charms.
                    Agree to disagree, I guess.

The exact mechanics are debatable but is a tasty s*** sandwich really a stretch compared to, say Kopi Luwak coffee?
                    Yes. The beans are roasted and ground and held in a filter while boiling water is poured through it; the civet is not directly pooping into your cup.

Or Ceviche?
                    Also yes. The lime juice effectively sears the fish, and quick, careful preparation is still key to avoid food poisoning.

Or honey?
                    Still a stretch, yes. Most microorganisms won't grow in honey, even over thousands of years.

Or chicken periods served sunny side up?
                    Yes, still a stretch. We have all kinds of ways of making sure eggs are safe to eat.

Or sausage?
                    Yes, even compared to sausage. We cook sausage, and moreover, make sure the ingredients in it aren't gonna kill the people who eat it.

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                    I'm also not big on being able to stockpile potential five-die buffs with simple mote expenditures, nor that a quick fried egg gives the same dice boost as a difficult meal.
                    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 09-11-2019, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Where the fuck did the shit sandwich idea come from?

Comment

Maybe just organic, I’m fine with magic to make poop edible, it’s not the main idea. As you said bonegnawers can make gruel from spit and paper rather easily.

But I like these, we need chef charms period, and I didn’t know I even wanted a message charm till now. But they don’t cost any essence?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Where the fuck did the shit sandwich idea come from?
                          According to Slate…

(I suggested it in this thread to be an example of something thoroughly unpalatable and inedible. Feel free to substitute a fine drizzle of Yozi venom and a sprinkle of ground glass on a lump of granite.)
                          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 09-11-2019, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

Maybe just organic, I’m fine with magic to make poop edible, it’s not the main idea. As you said bonegnawers can make gruel from spit and paper rather easily.

But I like these, we need chef charms period, and I didn’t know I even wanted a message charm till now. But they don’t cost any essence?
                            What message charm?

Comment

According to Slate…

(I suggested it in this thread to be an example of something thoroughly unpalatable and inedible. Feel free to substitute a fine drizzle of Yozi venom and a sprinkle of ground glass on a lump of granite.)
                              Sigh. Just think of it as a charm to enhance simple dishes beyond what they could do. Say, a carrot stew that's surprisingly tasty and delicious, and gives the eater greater strength to go about the day, despite the lack of spices, salt, and vitamins that should have lead to malnutrition.

Or a sandwich made from cheese and meat that even the butcher didn't want, and you used it as a morning breakfast to get through the entire day while working as a laborer.

Or tea made from a re-used teabag, that staved off hunger pangs and tastes surprisingly good.

Comment

Working...
                              X