Clear All

• Accelerator
    started a topic A fistful of charms

A fistful of charms

Something I created, for a modernish story I'm trying to write

Efficacious Masseuse Technique
    Medicine: 2
    Essence: 1

The solar knows the acupuncture. He knows the stress points of the body. He knows the places where muscles knot, and cartilage cracks. A solar using this charm carries out a 15 minute dramatic action, where he relieves stress, undos tension, and purifies unclean essence. After this, the target of the charm is relieved of all penalties from fatigue, and regains one temporary willpower. For the rest of the day, the target rolls for fatigue at double the time interval

Blessed nourishment prana
    Craft: 2
    Essence: 1

The sun itself is a bringer of light, heat, and life to Creation. And so is the Solar. The charm supplements an action to create food, medicine, or anything which is consumed. The food becomes tasty and nourishing, no matter how poor the starting ingredients were. The food also enhances the one eating it, power coursing through their body as it is digested. For the rest of the day, the eater gains (Solar's essence) of extra dice in any attribute or ability the solar chooses.

Electronic infiltration methodology
    Larceny: 3
    Essence 1
    Some thieves could pick locks. Mortals, in their desire for security, attempt to improve them. There are more things now. Biometric sensors, card readers, and voice detectors. All of which are bypassed the same as any other. One lock is the same as the other, in the eyes of the Solar Exalted. This supplements an attempt to infiltrate a facility, where high tech defenses reside. Here, a Solar can flash a bookshop gift card and have it be accepted, open his eyes to be scanned, press his finger upon the scanner, and still be allowed in regardless of his true credentials. This can be defeated by thaumaturgy.

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
    But... that exactly isn't what I kinda want to? I mean, for one thing, I want this charm to be a place for being an example. Not leadership
    My point isn’t to use it exactly, but to take it as an example. You might also look at the Presence Charm, Worshipful Lackey Acquisition, and the Socialize Charm, Endless Obsession Feint.

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    What’s my recommendation? The Integrity Charm, Sun King Radiance.
    *scratches head*

But... that exactly isn't what I kinda want to? I mean, for one thing, I want this charm to be a place for being an example. Not leadership

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    What's your recommendation. The base theme is 'You are an example to others, to follow in your lead'.
    What’s my recommendation? The Integrity Charm, Sun King Radiance.

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied
    I still don’t care for the Essence 4+ stuff. It reduces the importance of Socialize and Read Intentions; with this, you no longer need to understand what the people you want to influence already care about.

Frankly, I feel that making a life-defining change in someone’s mindset should require something a little more, well… significant. A news reporter telling the story of how I gave a homeless person an apple shouldn’t give millions of viewers nationwide a Defining Principle regardless of their beliefs.
    Yeah. Its overpowered.

What's your recommendation. The base theme is 'You are an example to others, to follow in your lead'.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    I still don’t care for the Essence 4+ stuff. It reduces the importance of Socialize and Read Intentions; with this, you no longer need to understand what the people you want to influence already care about.

Frankly, I feel that making a life-defining change in someone’s mindset should require something a little more, well… significant. A news reporter telling the story of how I gave a homeless person an apple shouldn’t give millions of viewers nationwide a Defining Principle regardless of their beliefs.

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied
    People don’t get Major Principles just from you talking to them, either, though - to Instill someone with a Major Intimacy, first you have to Instill them with a Minor, then Instill them again, using another Intimacy they already possess to reinforce the one you’re trying to upgrade to Major. And both times, you have to overcome their Resolve, and they can spend Willpower to overcome it.
    How about this? Your very presence works out the same. But Essence 3, gives you minor. Essence 4, gives you major. And essence 5, gives you defining.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    People don’t get Major Principles just from you talking to them, either, though - to Instill someone with a Major Intimacy, first you have to Instill them with a Minor, then Instill them again, using another Intimacy they already possess to reinforce the one you’re trying to upgrade to Major. And both times, you have to overcome their Resolve, and they can spend Willpower to overcome it.

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied
    There’s already something like that in Sun King Radiance, except the recipient may voluntarily accept the Intimacy. I feel like getting to automatically force Major charitable Principles on people just by tipping one’s waitress seems a bit much even for an Essence 3 Charm.
    Automatically force? But.... it basically means like talking. Instead of making a speech on charitableness, you just act as you are, and people are inspired by uou.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    There’s already something like that in Sun King Radiance, except the recipient may voluntarily accept the Intimacy. I feel like getting to automatically force Major charitable Principles on people just by tipping one’s waitress seems a bit much even for an Essence 3 Charm.

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied
    BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD PRANA
    Essence: 3
    Performance 4
    Keywords: Permanent

The solar's very presence exemplifies the very ideals he loves so much. Upon the taking of this charm, the solar chooses one ideal, which he then follows. From then on, a scene where he acts in a manner fitting the ideal, counts as a scene spent building up a major intimacy to that ideal. For example, if a solar was to chose the ideal of sharing and helping the poor, whether in the slums or at a gala, his attempts to raise funds or distribute food would lead to anyone coming into contact with him to be affected by this charm. A solar who chose 'equality' as his ideal, and treated both Brahmins and Undesirables with the same respect and care, would instill a desire to treat everyone equally in any who see this occuring.

At essence 4, a repurchase allows this to occur anyone receiving news of the solar. Whether from television, documents and reporters praising him, or via stories of his legend.

Leave a comment:

• Epitome
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
    And an Essence 1 Lunar can fly whilst the Solar can't.

Solars don't have to be better than every splat in every area at every Essence/XP commitment level.

It's ok that other splats access powers earlier or easier than Solars. Deebs were made to be lieutenants and major domos. They exist now at the head of a massive Empire. Rough and ready translation doesn't seem out of theme to me.
    I'm fine with it myself. To make my position clearer, I was defending the point that DBs can be better than Solars at acquiring new languages at early Essence, not the opinion that this is a problem.

Leave a comment:

• JohnDoe244
    replied
    Originally posted by Epitome View Post

Yes it does. That E1 DB will be able to decypher a first age tablet of lost knowledge that an E1 Solar won't be able to.
    And an Essence 1 Lunar can fly whilst the Solar can't.

Solars don't have to be better than every splat in every area at every Essence/XP commitment level.

It's ok that other splats access powers earlier or easier than Solars. Deebs were made to be lieutenants and major domos. They exist now at the head of a massive Empire. Rough and ready translation doesn't seem out of theme to me.

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied
    Apologies if I get this wrong.

Absurd Iron Body Prana
    Essence: 2
    Resistance: 3

It is not enough that those who attack the lawgivers fail in their affront. They must also be disciplined. After all, those who come too close to the sun burn up. This supplements a resistance roll. When the character is struck by a melee attack and successfully blocks all damage, he may use this charm reflexively to destroy the weapon of the attacker, rolling resistance against the targets essence, with (essence) autosuccesses. The weapon is rendered into useless slag, or if it was a natural weapon, burned into uselessness as a temporary crippling effect.

At essence 3, a repurchase allows him detonate the weapon with a deadly conflagration, molten shards leaping for the vital organs in a manner not unlike a grenade. At essence 4, this applies to ranged weapons as well.

Artifact weapons are immune to this effect.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by Epitome View Post
    Yes it does. That E1 DB will be able to decypher a first age tablet of lost knowledge that an E1 Solar won't be able to.
    But he won't be able to order drinks, ask where the bathroom is, or talk his way out of a magistrate's fines, all of which an E1 Solar who doesn't even bother taking Linguistics as his Supernal can do.

Stop.

This is stupid.
    I find myself in agreement with Epitome.

A supernal is something that is vital to the character. It is a literal core to what they are.
    I agree.

You do not take a supernal for the sake of 'I can learn languages fast when I travel abroad'
    I find that what a character takes as his Supernal can vary pretty drastically based on the goals of the player and the table around him. In a game that's going to be focused around travel and bringing people together, that might be exactly why a player takes Linguistics Supernal.

​(Incidentally, one of the other players in my group also took Linguistics as her Supernal, but that was because being an awesome novelist is the core of her concept. Why is "author" valid but "linguist" not?)
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 11-25-2019, 12:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X