Homebrew Charms, Spells & Evocation Gallery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrew Charms, Spells & Evocation Gallery

Sometimes you're not trying to homebrew an entire system or charmset, you simply have a cool idea for a Charm - This is a place to share such Charms with others.

To keep the thread focused, here are a few rules to follow :

1) Custom Charms should be self-contained or only have 1 or 2 related Charms. Full Charmsets and/or full reworks should go to a different thread (feel free to advertise those threads here)

2) Custom Evocations should be for published Artifacts, and like Charms they should be standalone, not full sets or full reworks. This thread isn't for homebrew Artifacts.

3) Spells are wecome, but Sorcerous workings should be directed to their dedicated thread here

4) Critiquing Charms is welcome, just be careful not to derail the thread with debates on specific Charms.

Have fun!

------------

Talent-Oozing Allure

Cost: -; Mins: Craft 3, Essence 1
    Type: Permanent
    Keywords: Bridge
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisite Charms: None or Any 3 Presence, Performance or Larceny Charms

The Solar is so in tune with their crafting talents that others cannot help but recognize her calling. Others automatically see her as a craftswoman - that is, she can play on a Minor Intimacy to convince others that she is the right person to see if you need something crafted. Some people may even instinctively go towards her when they find themselves in need of an Artisan, even without knowing her, out of a sheer gut feeling. Note that this Charm's effect takes into account the Solar's Craft Abilities - No one will be naturally convinced that a woodworker will make a fine chef if she does not have any cooking talents.
    Last edited by Epitome; 09-19-2019, 04:42 PM. Reason: added rule 4 for clarity and updated the homebrew Charm

Thanks for starting this thread, it's a good idea!

I'm assuming that critique of the charms is welcome here as well. But if that wasn't the intent, feel free to ignore mine!

Originally posted by Epitome View Post
    Talent-Oozing Allure

Cost: -; Mins: Craft 1, Essence 1
    I definitely like the overall effect. The one thing I'd suggest changing is bumping the minimum up to Craft 2, possibly even Craft 3. "Automatically recognized as a skilled crafter" seems to me like something that should require more than just novice-level crafting.

Comment

Here's a charm I came up with a little while ago.

Strike-Defying Command
      Cost: 3m; Mins: Presence 4, Essence 1
      Type: Reflexive
      Keywords: Special
      Duration: Instant
      Prerequisite Charms: Tiger's Dread Symmetry

With a shouted command, an appeal to sympathy, or simply a stern look, a Pillar of Heaven can stop her enemy's blow. Against a single attack, this charm allows the Solar to use a defense based on ([{Appearance, Charisma, or Manipulation} + Presence + specialty]/2), rather than Parry or Evasion (for purposes of any special effects based on what type of defence is used, however, this does count as a Parry). Any intimacies the enemy has that would affect the attack also provide a bonus to the Lawgiver's defense, equal in size to the penalty they would apply to the enemy's Resolve (i.e., +1 for a Minor Intimacy, +2 for Major, and +3 for Defining).

This charm is never applicable against attacks made by mindless enemies (such as zombies) or the environment.

The effects of this charm depend somewhat on which social attribute the Solar invokes in her defense:

Appearance-based defenses are automatically obvious to anyone watching - the Solar's anima might flare up to block the strike, or weapons simply veer aside to avoid hitting such a beautiful specimen. A physical symbol or reference to any Intimacies to be added to the defense must be stunted into the description. However, Appearance-based uses of this charm work equally well on targets who don't understand the Lawgiver's language.

If the defense is Charisma-based, it takes a -2 penalty if the enemy making the attack cannot understand the Solar's language.

Manipulation can be used for the defense /only/ if an appropriate Intimacy is invoked, and can never be used if the enemy doesn't share a language. However, if Manipulation is used, Strike-Defying Command and any Excellency used to improve the defense both gain the Mute keyword.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
        Thanks for starting this thread, it's a good idea!

I'm assuming that critique of the charms is welcome here as well. But if that wasn't the intent, feel free to ignore mine!

I definitely like the overall effect. The one thing I'd suggest changing is bumping the minimum up to Craft 2, possibly even Craft 3. "Automatically recognized as a skilled crafter" seems to me like something that should require more than just novice-level crafting.
        Critique is very welcome so long as the thread doesn't get derailed into an argument about a specific Charm.

Good point about the Craft requirement, I'll adjust it to 3.

Strike-Defying Command
        snip
        Strike-Defying Command sounds fun. One thing - if you can gain a Resolve based Defense bonus, then I feel you should be able to gain an Intimacy based Defense penalty, much like how there is 1 Intimacy working for you and 1 working against you in normal Social Influence. This is really a flavor thing though, I'm not saying the Charm needs a nerf.
        Last edited by Epitome; 09-19-2019, 03:32 PM.

Comment

I made these as a joke, but would kinda like them to work.Need some balancing since I have yet to get a feel for that.

Swoll Aesthetics answer or Blessed Lifting Inquiry
          Cost: 3m; Mins: Athletics 3, Essence 1
          Type: reflexive
          Prerequisite Charms: Increasing strength exercise
          The Solar flexes his muscle into certain stances with enhances the appearances of his muscle. This will supplement any social influence roll the solar makes with [athletic] dice. This charm can be combo’ed with performance charms.

Grand Stature Regime
          Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Athletics 5, Essence 5
          Type: Simple
          Duration: One scene
          Prerequisite Charms: Swoll aesthetics answer, Triump-Forged God-Body
          The Solar has trained incredibly much giving her wide frame and truly wide when flexing. The solar anima can enhance this further as the solar takes a deep breath and truly tightens all her muscle fibers. As she releases this energy her body grows and expands granting the solar the legendary size merit.
          Last edited by light-hero; 09-20-2019, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by light-hero View Post
            I made these as a joke, but would kinda like them to work.Need some balancing since I have yet to get a feel for that.

Swoll Aesthetics answer or Blessed Lifting Inquiry

Grand Stature Regime
            They look good to me. Legendary Size is more Lunar territory, but if a Solar did it that Charm would be as good a way to do it as any.

Comment

Lightning Broker Technique

Cost: 3m; Mins: Bureaucracy 5, Essence 2
              Type: Supplemental
              Keywords: Mute
              Prerequisite Charms: Enlightened Discourse Method, Speed the Wheel

The Solar can remove all apparent obstacles to a deal. Supplements a bureaucratic social influence roll, causing the any procedure, tradition or process which would prevent a deal from being brokered right there and then to be inapplicable. The Exalt might simply be so convincing that she causes the target to act rashly, or in the case of mundane obstacles she may retroactively have taken measures to remove them, such as having obtained a Vizier's permission or having completed all the necessary paperwork in advance.
              Last edited by Epitome; 09-21-2019, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I was inspired by the recent discussion in the Ask a Question, Get an Answer thread about Solar Medicine charms, and I decided there was a hole in the charmset that could be filled:

Triply Accurate Clinician's Eye
                Cost: - ; Mins: Medicine 2, Essence 1
                Keywords: None
                Prerequisite Charms: Flawless Diagnosis Technique

So honed to the signs of illness or infirmity is the eye of a healer graced by the Unconquered Sun that merely seeing someone with such an issue is enough to awaken her instincts. As soon as she senses such a person, the Solar doctor instantly gains an instinct that they have some sort of medical issue, and a very rough sense of how severe it is (roughly broken down into "mild", "moderate", "severe", and "immediately life-threatening". More accurate assessment of the issue will require a diagnosis roll, but this charm ensures that the Copper Spider always knows who she must examine, and in which order.

Comment

Originally posted by light-hero View Post
                  Grand Stature Regime
                  Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Athletics 5, Essence 5
                  Type: Simple
                  Duration: One scene
                  Prerequisite Charms: Swoll aesthetics answer, Triump-Forged God-Body
                  The Solar has trained incredibly much giving her wide frame and truly wide when flexing. The solar anima can enhance this further as the solar takes a deep breath and truly tightens all her muscle fibers. As she releases this energy her body grows and expands granting the solar the legendary size merit.
                  I'd increase the cost. Lunars should be better than Solars at achieving Legendary Size, so at least the cost should be about the same. I'd also try and separate the fluff part from the actual mechanics, note down what Legendary Size even does so there's no need to cross-reference, and mention how any weird interactions with other Charms work.

Comment

I was inspired by the recent discussion in the Ask a Question, Get an Answer thread about Solar Medicine charms, and I decided there was a hole in the charmset that could be filled:

[snip]
                    So it's basically the Medicine equivalent of Watchman's Infallible Eye?

Cool, I can dig it.

Comment

Triply Accurate Clinician's Eye
                      Cost: - ; Mins: Medicine 2, Essence 1
                      Prerequisite Charms: Flawless Diagnosis Technique

So honed to the signs of illness or infirmity is the eye of a healer graced by the Unconquered Sun that merely seeing someone with such an issue is enough to awaken her instincts. As soon as she senses such a person, the Solar doctor instantly gains an instinct that they have some sort of medical issue, and a very rough sense of how severe it is (roughly broken down into "mild", "moderate", "severe", and "immediately life-threatening". More accurate assessment of the issue will require a diagnosis roll, but this charm ensures that the Copper Spider always knows who she must examine, and in which order.
                      Based on this there should be a charm that's simple, and lets you diagnose someone with a glance without touching them or talking to them. Probably Medicine 3, Essence 2

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                        So it's basically the Medicine equivalent of Watchman's Infallible Eye?

Cool, I can dig it.

Yup, that's exactly the inspiration! I was initially thinking that the character should be able to adjust the sensitivity, so to speak, to avoid being pinged every time they walk next to someone with planters warts or something, but decided that since the charm gives you details on how severe the issue is, that it should be fine. If you're not worried about people with minor medical issues, just tell the ST "I'm not going to bother with those, you can just not tell me when I see them".

Comment

Yup, that's exactly the inspiration! I was initially thinking that the character should be able to adjust the sensitivity, so to speak, to avoid being pinged every time they walk next to someone with planters warts or something, but decided that since the charm gives you details on how severe the issue is, that it should be fine. If you're not worried about people with minor medical issues, just tell the ST "I'm not going to bother with those, you can just not tell me when I see them".

For that kind of Charm, I usually mention in the last lines "The Storyteller should not mention (X) if it is unimportant to the ongoing plot and the character's or circle's goals or Intimacies". For example, in Charms that read the intentions of all people you can perceive, since you don't really NEED the Intimacies or motives of literally everyone, just the people you wanted to read.

Comment

Something I thought of while discussing the idea of where hypnosis fits into the Abilities - I decided that Integrity needs something to help people be "wise counselors", resolving others' contradictions and dilemmas.

Sage Wisdom Dispensing Method
                            Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Integrity 5, Essence 2
                            Type: Supplemental
                            Prerequisite Charms: Sun King Radiance

Who better than the Resplendent Sun, who has already resolved the contradictions and conflicts within her own soul, to guide others to similar insight? To activate Sage Wisdom Dispensing Method, the Lawgiver must spend a scene in conversation with a target, who must voluntarily discuss a moral quandary or internal conflict he is experiencing. This counts as an automatically successful Read Intentions action on the part of the Solar to determine any relevant Intimacies the target holds. At the end of the scene, the Solar rolls (Intelligence + Integrity), with double-9s, against a difficulty of the target's Resolve+2. If successful, she may propose a new set of Intimacies for the target, that resolves his dilemma. This new set of Intimacies can involve any that the Solar knows the target holds, not just the ones he revealed in conversation. The new set should preserve the old set's targets and general orientation (either positive or negative), but can change contexts, merge or divide intimacies, and adjust strengths.

Example: Perfect Soul has been approached by her friend Sesus Etina, who wants advice on her troubles: Etina's beloved wife, Kahina, has been revealed to her as a Lunar Anathema. During their conversation, Etina reveals to Perfect Soul that she has a Defining Intimacy of love towards Kahina, and a Major intimacy of faith to the Immaculate Faith. From other conversations, Perfect Soul knows Etina also has a Major Intimacy of loyalty to the Realm. Perfect Soul makes her roll, and proposes that Etina can resolve her conflict by adopting a new set of intimacies, that still includes a Defining love for Kahina, but changes the context of her intimacy towards the Realm to "feels it is currently the best option to protect the people of Creation", and adjusting her intimacy towards the Immaculate Faith to a Minor one, with the context of "thinks it is a useful support to the Realm's social stability".

If the target accepts the new set of Intimacies, they immediately switch to them. This does not count as opposing their previous set of Intimacies. If the target is unwilling to switch, they count as having a Major Intimacy of respect towards the Lawgiver's wisdom, which she can use to try to persuade them to switch with social influence. If he already had such an Intimacy at the Minor or Major level, he instead counts as having it at the Defining level, while if it was already Defining, entering a decision point to contest influence based on it to change his intimacies now costs 3 wp, rather than 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post

I'd increase the cost. Lunars should be better than Solars at achieving Legendary Size, so at least the cost should be about the same. I'd also try and separate the fluff part from the actual mechanics, note down what Legendary Size even does so there's no need to cross-reference, and mention how any weird interactions with other Charms work.
                              Thanks. I will be sure to do that, if any of my players actually wants to use it.

Comment

Working...
                              X