No announcement yet.

Porting the 'real world' into exalted?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porting the 'real world' into exalted?

So I've been wondering about a homebrew setting. Or adapting one to the Exalted Storyteller system. Which is our modern earth.

So first of all, how would you model things like CRISPR or transgenic animals into exalted? Are things like golden rice and herbicide resistant plants a major project, or superior? What about the vaccinating bananas, or the spider silk goats?

I'd definitely model it as a sorcerer with sorcerous workings, or for some of the more mundane stuff possibly a kind of lore master who selectively breeds plants. If you took an electron microscope into Creation I don't think you would find that things in Creation are made of atoms or molecules, and it's likely living things aren't even made from cells. Animals in Creation are not the emergent result of billions of years of protein folding and long chain molecule development, but the wholecloth creation of titans who brought them into the world by sheer force of will.

It's a world where a person can have their hopes, dreams and ambitions eaten away, not by scrambling their brain chemistry, but by devouring the ethereal animating thing that lives inside their bodies, their soul. There's even beings that use it as food. So if you were going to do goats that produce spider silk in their milk in the world of exalted, you're modifying their goat essence, the thing that makes a goat a goat, and that's sorcery.

If we're talking about how to model creations of things like that if we were using the Exalted system in a real-world setting, then you'd just use the bureaucracy system. The craft system in Exalted is built for creating unique objects, not entirely new schema for manipulating the world.

Comment

He doesn't want Exalted Modern, DrLoveMonkey - he wants his homebrew setting where it's our world, the one you and I live in, and people just happen to start Exalting out of nowhere.

​For some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
        He doesn't want Exalted Modern, DrLoveMonkey - he wants his homebrew setting where it's our world, the one you and I live in, and people just happen to start Exalting out of nowhere.

​For some reason.
        Oh, that...may be irreconcilable in a logically consistent way. Something is going to give, either real world physics and systems or Exalted ones.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
          Oh, that...may be irreconcilable in a logically consistent way.
          Oh, I know. It's sorta like trying to eat one's cake and then still have it.

​I mean, for starters, for there to be Solars, the sun needs to not just be a soulless, insignificant yellow star indistinguishable from the billions of others like it in our galaxy, which holds no regard for the hairless apes that evolved on a soulless, insignificant rock a hundred and fifty million kilometers away from it and briefly worshipped it as a god. The sun needs to be the Sun.
          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 09-23-2019, 12:24 AM.

Comment

I don't think the OP is asking how to have it make sense though, I think it's more mechanical advice they're after.

Balance and flavor-wise, if Craft projects are able to create new species, then I'd peg that as a Superior project if creating something that can be done with actual science, or Legendary if creating actual magical species in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by Epitome View Post
              I don't think the OP is asking how to have it make sense though, I think it's more mechanical advice they're after.

Balance and flavor-wise, if Craft projects are able to create new species, then I'd peg that as a Superior project if creating something that can be done with actual science, or Legendary if creating actual magical species in the real world.
              I suppose so, but I really don’t think Exalted is the heat system to adapt here, especially if you plan on keeping Exalted in the system. There’s a lot of weird interactions, especially when you combine magic with technology that would be magic if it was in Creation. Like building a hydrogen bomb would only be a Superior project but it can wipe out a city and the surrounding area in mere seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                So I've been wondering about a homebrew setting. Or adapting one to the Exalted Storyteller system. Which is our modern earth.

So first of all, how would you model things like CRISPR or transgenic animals into exalted? Are things like golden rice and herbicide resistant plants a major project, or superior? What about the vaccinating bananas, or the spider silk goats?
                Storyteller, as in, the thing CofD uses?

Comment

It may not be exalted modern exactly but it can probably take a few cues from it.

like transgenic animals. Those would just be animals with mutations. Like a lunar chimera's spirit shape. Easy enough.

Comment

I think using the werewolf game cosmology would probably work best, the worlds of spirit sundered from the human world, everything still exists just in the realms beyond the gauntlet

Comment

Exalted versus the World of Darkness may be a good place to start mechanically: https://www.patreon.com/posts/exalted-vs-world-23661124

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post

​For some reason.
                        I mean, that's pretty much the starting point of every superhero setting out there. "The world was created by now-forgotten gods, now they're coming back and people are starting to manifest powers" is no better or worse than any other urbran fantasy setup, and requires no more buy-in than any other fantastical setting.

The big change in switching from a pseudo-medieval setting like Exalted to a modern-and-up setting like the real world is options. In Creation, there's only so much you can do without resorting to magic... and even that is more than enough to make a GM pull out their own hair if the players are clever. A "normal guy" in the modern world can do so much more. Find out pretty much anything you want on the internet. Hop on a plane and go to the other side of the planet. Build a bomb in their kitchen. All of modern science and engineering are on the table, before you add whatever special powers and abilities the system gives you. In that respect, I think Exalted is actually a good choice-- between the rules for crafting and for sorcerous workings, there are already systems in place to handle characters making crazy-ass stuff.
                        Last edited by Grod_the_giant; 10-01-2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Solars are the easy one. Anyone can Google, a Solar can search in secret databases and remote parts of the dark web instantly, find accurate information and not be tricked by sting or false websites. Anyone can build a bomb in their kitchen but the Solar can make it undetectable to modern science, trigger in strange ways with incredible accuracy. A solar flying a plane can fly without fuel and ignoring all weather making safe turbulent free landings in hurricanes. Sure A Solar scientist will discover new facts of the universe but will others accept them? Can other people make practical use the way the Solar can? Solars are just super skilled people. Although a Solar still needs to deal with cops, government agencies, and if in the WoD setting, other supernaturals. Then Solars can get in the way of each other too. Actually this sounds fun to run.

Comment

Originally posted by Grod_the_giant View Post
                            I mean, that's pretty much the starting point of every superhero setting out there. "The world was created by now-forgotten gods, now they're coming back and people are starting to manifest powers" is no better or worse than any other urbran fantasy setup, and requires no more buy-in than any other fantastical setting.

The big change in switching from a pseudo-medieval setting like Exalted to a modern-and-up setting like the real world is options. In Creation, there's only so much you can do without resorting to magic... and even that is more than enough to make a GM pull out their own hair if the players are clever. A "normal guy" in the modern world can do so much more. Find out pretty much anything you want on the internet. Hop on a plane and go to the other side of the planet. Build a bomb in their kitchen. All of modern science and engineering are on the table, before you add whatever special powers and abilities the system gives you. In that respect, I think Exalted is actually a good choice-- between the rules for crafting and for sorcerous workings, there are already systems in place to handle characters making crazy-ass stuff.
                            It's a bit of a nitpick, but Exalted isn't supposed to reflect the medieval European aesthetic. It mixes together various, older influences (Roman Empire prior to Christianity, Persian Empire, 3 Kingdoms Era China) when it isn't tapping into modern critiques of colonial imperialism.

Comment

Originally posted by Grod_the_giant View Post

And the thing is that here, is far different from Creation. At least in the 1st world or more than the 3rd world. Even goat herders have access to phones and blackberries and whatnot, letting them connect to what could be only described as the sum total of all human knowledge, basically an artifact 3/4 that lets them tutor themselves in whatever they want. They can make instantaneous calls to whatever and whomever from the other side of the globe.

And then you add in everything, ranging from cars, to lifts, to electricity, and go hog wild. Not to mention the different standards now. There is, nominally, the idea of human rights and equality. There are few and no kings around here, mostly presidents, tinpot dictators, and constitutional monarchs (apologies queen elizabeth) that have been mostly defanged. A solar knocking down a sitting ruler or calling himself a god-king or messiah will receive much different reactions here than from Creation.

That includes in stuff that is normally the par for the course for Creation. At least for the 1st world. There are no demons here. No bandits, and if there are gangs, your solar will get into trouble for being a vigilante (hello, batman). You can travel from one end of the globe to another, in less than a day, if you have the resources to spare (they're solar, they will). Far less violence is acceptable, making it so that you can no longer cut the head off and take over. The state of technology is staggering. Machines for crafting and making, technology that would be worthy of being in the shogunate, can be found in the garage of an enterprising hobbyist or low level artisan. The higher level ones, including computer-assisted design, massive factories, and nanites, form industry that outshines even the Shogunate. Your twilight isn't going to be a blacksmith here, swinging hammers and using mortar and pestle. He will be using 3d printing machines, automated drones, CNC machines, and have access to libraries that outshine nearly any in Creation.

And the songs! The scholars! What can a performance focused solar do, in this world of mp3 players, pirating, worldwide broadcasts, and radios? Where their every song, dance, gesture, and movement can be preserved for all eternity and given to an audience of millions? What about a solar desiring to be a teacher, putting out online courses and sending them out for free? What can someone do when there is an entire world's worth of information at their fingertips? When they can have audiences from every corner of the world?

Comment

Working...
                              X