BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL!

simple discussion topic: what evocations would you give to He-Man's Power-Sword?

I mean, we've seen it do energy blasts, concealment of his identity, and perfect parries. any others I'm forgetting?

Oh, and anyone feeling up to it we can discuss the Sword of Protection too while we're at it.

Instantly remove most clothing when attuned.

In all seriousness, I would say it would be linked to a manse of some sort (Castle Greyskull). Probably give access to a mote pool. Kinda like the system used in Ship Claiming stance.

Comment

Given the nature of the Power-Sword it might not be a normal artifact. It might be the physical representation of a exigency

Comment

Originally posted by Snakesandsuns View Post
        Given the nature of the Power-Sword it might not be a normal artifact. It might be the physical representation of a exigency
        This makes a lot of sense. I don't remember much about He-Man, but I have watched Netflix's new She-Ra series, and the Sword of Protection being more like an Exaltation than an Artifact definitely jibes with what we see.

Comment

I feel that an artifact that basically grants a character's entire supernatural status is better represented as a form of exigence tied to a material form, yeah.

Like... if you wanted to represent the Green Lantern ring or Iron Man armor as an artifact, you could (even if those characters are better represented as exigents of this nature.)

But He-Man and She-Ra are different. The entire thematic of the Sword of Protection and the Power Sword is that they take a normal(-ish) person and make them superpowered. The fact that He-Man without his sword is just some guy is central to the entire theme to the point where it's hard to reconcile the sword without it - a Solar Exalt who picks up the sword and turns into, what, Double He-Man? It doesn't make sense, since they were He-Man already. Sure, you could make a sword that turns you into an eight-foot-tall barbarian or amazon and has a few cool tricks, but the fact that the sword is your secret superpowered identity is entirely central to what it is, so handing that to a Solar Exalt doesn't really work.

Comment

If you look at the original mini-series He-Man and concepts like the 2002 King Greyskull, it's easier to see the Power Sword as an Artifact rather than an Exaltation. (Likewise for the terrible, terrible Live Action movie.)

Then we've got things like Personas and Resplendent Destinies. Past Lives. War Forms.

Plus Prince Adam already is kinda badass. He's not a combat monster, but he's a fighter, a statesman, a tamer of tigers. He's got a bit of a bad rep because he's keeping his secret identity secret -- but we the viewer see him always rush into danger He-Man or no.

Striking a balance between the most iconic form of the Power Sword and the easiest to stat put, I'd peg out the Sword of Power as something like this:

Orichalcum and Starmetal 4-dot Daiklave
            Resonant Attunement Bonus: "By the Power of Greyskull!" Create an alter-ego who appears to be a muscular Barbarian Warrior in the fashion of a Resplendent Destiny.
            E1: Willpower costing Perilous Reflexive Clash that can reflect ranged attacks. Decisive only. Uses your Attack action, but for Resonant characters only the first use in a Round uses their Attack and thereafter they can use it to Clash as many times in a round as they like (paying the cost and resetting to Base each time).
            E1: Withering damage/Cutting Stunt booster.
            E2: Bolts of energy based on Elemental Bolt Attack.
            E3: "Become" the Barbarian Warrior the sword makes you appear to be, like an instant Persona based on Hundred-Faced Stranger/Heart-Eclipsing Shroud. Abilities would have to be skewed towards Dawn Caste rather than Eclipse/Zenith. No expansion into re-arranging your Charms -- sticking to Evocations.
            E3: Perfect Parry based on Heavenly Guardian Defence
            E4: "I have the Power!" War Form bonuses: count Strength as being 2 points higher for Feats of Strength. Temporary -1 levels. Bonus Charm Dice on Physical Attributes. Giant Merit.
            Last edited by JohnDoe244; 10-09-2019, 04:29 AM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquillion View Post
              I feel that an artifact that basically grants a character's entire supernatural status is better represented as a form of exigence tied to a material form, yeah.

Like... if you wanted to represent the Green Lantern ring or Iron Man armor as an artifact, you could (even if those characters are better represented as exigents of this nature.)

But He-Man and She-Ra are different. The entire thematic of the Sword of Protection and the Power Sword is that they take a normal(-ish) person and make them superpowered. The fact that He-Man without his sword is just some guy is central to the entire theme to the point where it's hard to reconcile the sword without it - a Solar Exalt who picks up the sword and turns into, what, Double He-Man? It doesn't make sense, since they were He-Man already. Sure, you could make a sword that turns you into an eight-foot-tall barbarian or amazon and has a few cool tricks, but the fact that the sword is your secret superpowered identity is entirely central to what it is, so handing that to a Solar Exalt doesn't really work.
              It doesn’t have to specifically be an Exigence, it could be mysterious one off Exaltations of Unknown providence. Functionally an Exigence but ultimately something else.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I'm wondering if there's a way to have the powers actually toggle on and off like they do in the show that would see the mortal form used at all...

Comment

I would probably make it so your anima banner can't go down while you have your super-mode engaged (and possibly goes up continuously.)

But also, at least in the recent She-Ra reboot it seems tied to her mental state; she can't sustain it forever. I'd probably call it a scene-long transformation, probably one with at least some sort of cost. If you're in your super mode all the time then the entire point of it being a super mode rather than your regular mode is lost.

Comment

Make the cost the increasing frequency of Wyld Hunt appearances. If you're walking around all the time as She-Ra, everybody in sight recognizes you and word spreads quickly of the Anathema in the River Quarter. Then you've got Immaculate monks and every Dynast in the satrapy up in your grille.

Comment

A while back I had a similar post about how to reward people who only use GSS sometimes (and have another weapon the rest of the time.)

One trick is to attach an extra immediate benefit to the action of transformation (or, at least, the first time you transform in a scene.)

For example, transforming could heal you, or act as a perfect defense. This would encourage people to use their transformation as a way to turn fights around rather than transforming right at the start. The scene where eg. the enemy aims a big attack at Adora only for the smoke to clear and reveal an unharmed She-Ra is a staple of transforming characters.

Alternatively, you could "expend" your transformation and lose the ability to transform for the rest of the scene in exchange for some final benefit, after which you turn back - ie. a massive decisive attack intended to end fights, or a perfect defense against a hit that would have killed you (Magical Girl-style transforming characters frequently get smacked out of their transformation on losing fights rather than immediately dying.)

If this is their entire Exaltation, you'd probably want them to have some baseline benefits even in "mortal" form - nothing flashy, but enough to keep them from getting utterly stomped.
                      Last edited by Aquillion; 10-16-2019, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Probably keep the Exalted Healing and any ox bodies at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                          Probably keep the Exalted Healing and any ox bodies at least.
                          Add increased soak and maybe hardness?

Basically if a grenade were to go off right beside him, he won't die.

Comment

an off the top of my head brainstorm:

What if, instead of the sword being the source of his power, it simply amplifies it. As in he's Solar anyway then this evocation gives him stat boosts. Kind of like a Solar warform/Solar DBT or something. In this case maybe taking Strength and stamina up to 6 maybe.

Would She-Ra's sword be boosting the same ones?

just a thought. have been thinking of such charms lately, mostly as E6 stuff (and attached to any different skills) and it hit me having one attached to an Artifact fit this pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                            X