Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What genres could you run in a game set in Creation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What genres could you run in a game set in Creation?

This is primarily a thread about Creation, Exalted's setting, rather than the mechanics.

Creation is a kitchen-sink with a load of different influences, and it's with good reason that people often say "Your Creation May Vary". Because there's big scope even within what's established to do your own thing. If you're willing to take some license, you can go still further in accomodating even those that might not have been intended.

Let's think about any game you might set in Creation - and note I mean that rather than specifically any game about Exalts - what are the possible genres you could cover?

I'd probably characterise the 3 games I run/play as High Fantasy Adventure (Furry edition)/Disaster Movie, Cosmic Horror/Romantic Comedy/Wuxia/Murder Mystery, and War/Intrigue/Wuxia/Tragedy.

The first was Arthurian Romance, but Camelot has fallen (into the sea) and all the Knights are dead, so that's over as a genre really.

Oh, and we're doing a few short crossover games, one of which is a parody (of anime and of the Chronicles of Narnia), and one of which is political satire based on Animal Farm. The third I guess is apocalyptic.

Probably not all of these were intended by the writers, but I think you can argue for most of them.
    Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 10-14-2019, 11:27 AM.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

Sports anime. Have the Secondary schools put on a Realm championship so you have a bunch of dragonblooded teenagers playing hockey or something.

Comment

Horror stories. Involving ghosts.

Ghost with arcanoi for imitation of voice and appearance, as well as some for stealth and a deadly attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
          Sports anime. Have the Secondary schools put on a Realm championship so you have a bunch of dragonblooded teenagers playing hockey or something.
          Pretty much any kind of high school genre could be done in the Realm, tbh.

Honestly, I think you can do most genres in Creation, but in 3rd ed it's much harder than 2nd ed to do things like Cyberpunk or Transhuman stuff. The only genres I can think of that I don't think you can do in Creation are Historical Fiction/Period Drama (because it's not real history), Space Opera and Hard SF. (Space Opera works fine with shards, but not Hard SF).
          Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 10-15-2019, 12:18 PM.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

My game is best described as a Cosmic Horror Superhero Sitcom so um, yeah, it really is a kitchen sink.

"Measure of Hope is right about everything." - Wise Old Guru

Currently running an Exalted 2.5 Abyssals game in a homebrew modern shard because I value neither my time or my sanity, and I'm loving almost every minute of it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
              Space Opera and Hard SF. (Space Opera works fine with shards, but not Hard SF).
              I feel like something with the Dome of the Sky or the Wyld could probably pull off Space Opera, or a weird undocumented region of Malfeas. Hard SF takes a lot more work than I'm willing to engage with right now, but restricting yourself to only mortals and someplace with nothing supernatural probably gets you about halfway there.

Comment

Working...
              X