No announcement yet.

The Worst Lunar Totems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off, clearly the people saying "Dung beetle" have never played Hollow Knight.

Seriously, this guy. Rolls around like crazy and throws boulders of dung at you as an attack.

And while I'm serious - no totem is going to be absolutely terrible, since you can choose how it might manifest in HBT. Any winged insect will at least be valid for wings, that parasite-crab-thing is still valid for carapace, and so on. You might not use your spirit shape as often as other Lunars, that's all.

Some totems are definitely not very charismatic or stylish, though. Like... any nematode.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
      Dung beetles go well on sushi?
      Sorry, I guess I had a run-on sentence. I was saying Dung Beetle seemed pretty bad (one thought), and that unagi in terms of usefulness as a totem seemed pretty limited to 'good on sushi'. (Sure, it can presumably work well underwater, but there are other better ones.)

TheWizardOfOz: Oh, I definitely agree. I was trying to point out that the Lunars I'm playing with don't have anything close to 'bad' totems, and so my experience with this was limited, and thus to take my ideas later (dung beetle and unagi) with a grain of salt. Or pepper, if you prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
        No, the worst totem is the one that's fully adapted to something that you're very unlikely to require skill in; eating bamboo.
        That being the panda.
        What Totemic charms does Panda even let you access?
        Panda does seem to fall solidly into the category of animals that seem like they are actively trying to go extinct, but I think Koalas have them beat. Koalas have super specific diets, it's so low in nutrients that the koala has little choice but to be either eating or sleeping and it grinds their teeth down to the point that they eventually starve to death. The only thing Koalas seem to be good at is getting chlamydia.

Comment

Originally posted by Aliasi View Post
          First off, clearly the people saying "Dung beetle" have never played Hollow Knight.

Seriously, this guy. Rolls around like crazy and throws boulders of dung at you as an attack.

And while I'm serious - no totem is going to be absolutely terrible, since you can choose how it might manifest in HBT. Any winged insect will at least be valid for wings, that parasite-crab-thing is still valid for carapace, and so on. You might not use your spirit shape as often as other Lunars, that's all.

Some totems are definitely not very charismatic or stylish, though. Like... any nematode.
          Nematodes are also too tiny to be totems, though.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
            No, the worst totem is the one that's fully adapted to something that you're very unlikely to require skill in; eating bamboo.
            That being the panda.
            The funny thing is, pandas are barely adapted to eating bamboo. They still have a carnivorous digestive tract, and can only just about digest cellulose via gut flora that they populate themselves with by eating their mother's faeces. They barely derive calories from it, hence why they're a fairly lethargic animal.

Apparently, they eat bamboo because a random mutation shut off the taste receptors for meat, and they just happened to be around abundant plants that would have been the only thing flavourful to them.

So they barely adapted enough to have not starved to death, and otherwise coasted by on lack of natural predators.

Nature is full of mistakes.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

The funny thing is, pandas are barely adapted to eating bamboo. They still have a carnivorous digestive tract, and can only just about digest cellulose via gut flora that they populate themselves with by eating their mother's faeces. They barely derive calories from it, hence why they're a fairly lethargic animal.

Apparently, they eat bamboo because a random mutation shut off the taste receptors for meat, and they just happened to be around abundant plants that would have been the only thing flavourful to them.

So they barely adapted enough to have not starved to death, and otherwise coasted by on lack of natural predators.

Nature is full of mistakes.
              The background mutation rate is a hell of a drug.

Comment

Working...
              X