Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Exaltations show up in other settings.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Exaltations show up in other settings.

Scenario 1: Only Exaltations.
    Scenario 2: An actual connection to Creation is forged, enabling Exalts and mortals alike to come and go as they please.

Scenario 1: Power is seized by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so, and everything is fucked.

Scenario 2: Depends on the specific areas that cross over. Nexus is going to respond differently to any given setting than Whitehall which will respond differently from the Imperial City.

Comment

Originally posted by Aranfan View Post
      Scenario 1: Power is seized by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so, and everything is fucked.

True, but many settings are already ruled by those who have no right to do so, nor wisdom.

And of course, many settings already have their own extremely powerful entities.

It also depends on the size; 800 Celestials is utterly world-changing in World of Darkness, but in 40k they're a drop amongst trillions.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

Scenario 1 would also depend on what's allowed to exalt. Hunters exalting in WoD is useful to them and a problem for others unless it turns out supernaturals, like say mages, can exalt as well leading to something that was already beyond humanity becoming supercharged.

Comment

Wouldn't Hunters exalting in WoD become the very thing they swore to destroy ?

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Depends. If they exalt as an Abyssal, sure, but not if it's a Solar.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

Cross post on this question:

Hmmm.... Assuming 2)...

Does the Great Curse come with them?

On another angle, do the Exalted's magical restrictions come with them? If so, then considering Exalted setting restrictions on fast healing and resurrection magic, Exalts landing in any D&D based setting (including any CRPGs that adapt its tropes) are probably nonplussed when they find that they can out-dodge, out-block and out-attack most warriors they deal with... but these guys seem to be able to benefit from magically assisted healing and resurrection that the Exalted just can't and Keep. On. Coming. (Plus finding that the mortals who seem dismissible just Keep. Getting. Better. with no limit or "jump then plateau" of Exaltation, so long as they keep adventuring and training. "What the hell kind of crazy attrition-nightmare world is this to conquer?". For their part wherever they were arriving would probably see newcomers who can't benefit from divine healing magic as forsaken by the gods...).

(Addendum: Exalted probably *should* keep restrictions on resurrection, or at least, for practical purposes it creates odd circumstances where resurrection rubs up against the ideas from Exalted that Exaltation flees a person upon death, and their soul dissolves into a hun and po. I think the above also sets up an interesting contrast in the nature of divine power; Exalted's people experience divine power as gift that raises up in a sudden rush of power - at Solar arete, Lunar malleability etc - and then that's kind of all you get from them, while your generic D&D setting guys tend to see it as a continually accessible power of healing and second chances that serves to amplifies the abilities they can already develop).

Comment

Exaltations are an extreme solution to an extreme problem (usurping Chtulhu-esque god-creators). The only worlds where they might do good are worlds which are in equally dire circumstances as Creation or maybe even worse off, such as WoD. In worlds that aren't on the verge of collapse, Exaltations are the equivalent of spreading nuclear weaponry among the population and hoping for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
                  Cross post on this question:

Hmmm.... Assuming 2)...

Does the Great Curse come with them?

On another angle, do the Exalted's magical restrictions come with them? If so, then considering Exalted setting restrictions on fast healing
                  That's not a thing.

The Exalted draw their own healing powers from a superhuman skill with medicine. The Exalted are perfectly capable of benefiting from magical healing -- it's simply that magical healing is rare in Creation.

(Ressurection is a limit.)
                  Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                  40k they're a drop amongst trillions.
                  Tell that to the Primarchs.
                  Last edited by JohnDoe244; 10-26-2019, 01:53 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

I'm not suggesting healing is an absolute restriction, but my impression is that it is *relatively* difficult in Exalted's setting compared to the reference, hence are we assuming that this translates over into other settings (such that Exalted don't really benefit from "cheap" healing magic that much?). I guess my relative preference here is betraying itself as one where the Exalted don't go to other setting and find that they overpower them as much as one where they saliently fail to do so...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post

Tell that to the Primarchs.
                      So the issue with the Primarchs is that quite a few (Jaghatai Khan, Lion El'Johnson, Angron, etc) would have never escaped their feral or feudal world, except that the Emperor went looking for them, found them, and gave them thousands of elite super-soldiers each.
                      (There are exceptions)

And even then, there's an argument to be made that only a few of them really did make a difference to the galaxy; if Rogal Dorn hadn't existed, would the history of the 31st millenium be significantly different? If Jaghatai Khan hadn't disappeared, would the 41st millenium look hugely different to your average human?
                      (Again, there are exceptions; Horus being the most important example.)

This is not to say the Primarchs didn't make a difference, and of course Primarchs are probably a good equivalent to Solars. But the issue is that, while an Ecclesiarch on Necromunda who exalts as a Solar can rise to be the head cleric of a whole sector, lead a glorious crusade to reclaim worlds, and become a living saint, a barbarian on a feral world deep in uncharted space who exalts as a Solar is almost certainly never going to leave that planet. That's the issue really.

Comment

These sorts of questions always run into the same stuff that comes up when you have crossovers. Specifically “who’s rules are you operating under?” Like, if you have Exalted vs. the WoD, are you trying to tell horror stories about how the return of Ancient “Heroes” made everything even worse? Or are you telling pulp adventure stories about Conan the Vampire Hunter?

Once you have that figured out, you can adjust power levels and rules as needed to support the desired play style and get everything figured out.

Because you don’t want to just mix things together and hope for the best, unless you really want Invincible Sword Princess to start running around with a +5 Vorpal Sword (even if they count as charm dice, getting five extra dice on every attack and +2 to Parry DV is hella sweet in addition to having a random chance auto kill someone with every attack).

Comment

Easy. Chuck them into the modern setting and start laughing!

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                            Easy. Chuck them into the modern setting and start laughing!
                            "The?" A modern setting ranges from Dresden Files to How I Met Your Mother.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalzky View Post
                              "The?" A modern setting ranges from Dresden Files to How I Met Your Mother.
                              Now I kinda want to see Exalted in How I Met Your Mother :P

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                              X