Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Exaltations show up in other settings.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Or, bear with me here, since the alien technology fell into human hands decades back, the OS isn't incompatible because it was reverse-engineered from the alien tech? Like, Independence Day and Michael Bay's Transformers are kinda dumb in a number of regards (particularly with regard to race), but our technology being compatible with theirs because we reverse-engineered it to be, is a lot more sensible than having it be compatible in a world where we haven't had our hands on a piece of their tech for decades.
    Urm.... there's a solar lore charm that lets you connect irregardless of OS.

Or, just spitballing here, your ability to lead troops isn't strictly a factor of your age, since teenagers have led fights against invaders in our real-world history?
    I was referring to the YA tendency for teenagers to lead and do shit that no one else could do, even though lots of other guys are around that could have done what they did better. Why? Well, in this case, its because he's dragonblooded.

Can you provide me an example of a real advanced civilization that doesn't fuck up? I'm not convinced that that's a thing.
    Fuck up more than usual. It's pretty hard for the British Empire to lose to natives who haven't even invented steel yet.
    Lunars lack the capacity to transform into aliens.
    Tell me something. Are you being purposely obtuse here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
      Urm.... there's a solar lore charm that lets you connect irregardless of OS.
      I get that. But I'm saying, at least in the context of the movies you're bringing up, is that it's not necessary.

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
      Fuck up more than usual. It's pretty hard for the British Empire to lose to natives who haven't even invented steel yet.
      So, what, we're just going to ignore the Zulu?

Tell me something. Are you being purposely obtuse here?
      No, I am sincerely informing you that Lunars can assume human and animal shapes. They don't get to turn into aliens. I don't know that you don't know that, because you have a history of inconsistency with knowledge of the Exalted setting.

He/him

Comment

I know that. That's why I said 'pretty hard'. That's not something you see everyday.

British Empire failing to defeat the Zulus is kinda unusual. Usually the guys with gunpowder and steel win.

No, I am sincerely informing you that Lunars can assume human and animal shapes. They don't get to turn into aliens. I don't know that you don't know that, because you have a history of inconsistency with knowledge of the Exalted setting.

Stop. Lunars can get knacks, right? Lunars can get charms to turn into trees, insects, mice, or behemoths, or demons, or fae, or ghosts, right? Or it is completely in theme for them to be able to do it, right?

Comment

British Empire failing to defeat the Zulus is kinda unusual. Usually the guys with gunpowder and steel win.
          History is full of nuance; it's hardly ever so simple as "Who has the steel? Who has the gunpowder?"

Stop. Lunars can get knacks, right?
          Not in 3e, no.

Lunars can get charms to turn into trees, insects, mice, or behemoths, or demons, or fae, or ghosts, right?
          Only mice and insects, this time 'round. And even in editions that had Knacks, that was still something they had to develop and then buy with XP, which means it's not something you should necessarily expect a given Lunar to be capable of.

He/him

Comment

• Alright, fine. I'll agree with you on the Lunars thing. I'll just leave them out of the main events. It's not like that changes anything. I'll give up on the guns and steel thing too.

Comment

Alright, fine. I'll agree with you on the Lunars thing. I'll just leave them out of the main events.
              This, on the other hand, is doing a disservice to the Lunars. Just because they can't assume the shape of an alien, doesn't mean they can't serve as infiltrators. For instance, if the aliens are using human labor to mine, a Lunar could scout their asteroid base in the form of a rat or insect, and then foster an insurrection among the miners in a human shape, sharing the knowledge they gathered.

It's not like that changes anything.
              Once again, the problem is in the nuance you're ignoring.

I'll give up on the guns and steel thing too.
              I'm not asking you to give up; I'm asking you to understand.
              Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 02-13-2020, 07:12 AM.

He/him

Comment

This, on the other hand, is doing a disservice to the Lunars. Just because they can't assume the shape of an alien, doesn't mean they can't serve as infiltrators. For instance, if the aliens are using human labor to mine, a Lunar could scout their asteroid base in the form of a rat or insect, and then foster an insurrection among the miners in a human shape, sharing the knowledge they gathered.
                I apologise. I was making a joke on how Lunars in 2e tend to get a bit shafted, you know, not really doing much in the game's backstory.

I'm not asking you to give up; I'm asking you to understand.

Oh no, I get it, really. I mean, I know that its not all that simple. Sometimes the invaders were beaten back, and sometimes they were forced to pay terrible prices. I know that some places forced the Imperial invaders to respect the natives. But the thing is, the trend is still there. I mean, look at America and Canada right now, and what happened to the native populations... Yeah, they can certainly beat them back. But it really fucking sucks for the native population. The Empires didn't crumble, not for quite some time. And only after lots of death and suffering.

Comment

I was making a joke on how Lunars in 2e tend to get a bit shafted, you know, not really doing much in the game's backstory.
                  Careful about that now; some are still really salty about that.

Oh no, I get it, really. I mean, I know that its not all that simple. Sometimes the invaders were beaten back, and sometimes they were forced to pay terrible prices. I know that some places forced the Imperial invaders to respect the natives. But the thing is, the trend is still there. I mean, look at America and Canada right now, and what happened to the native populations... Yeah, they can certainly beat them back. But it really fucking sucks for the native population. The Empires didn't crumble, not for quite some time. And only after lots of death and suffering.
                  For a "powerful individual shows up and helps a people to challenge a technologically superior empire" narrative that probably feels a bit more "real," I'd look at Avatar: the Last Airbender. Having the Avatar show up didn't make the Fire Nation crumble overnight.

He/him

Comment

Careful about that now; some are still really salty about that.

For a "powerful individual shows up and helps a people to challenge a technologically superior empire" narrative that probably feels a bit more "real," I'd look at Avatar: the Last Airbender. Having the Avatar show up didn't make the Fire Nation crumble overnight.
                    Yes, I've seen Avatar, the Last Airbender. But I don't quite think its a good fit.

For one thing, the technological difference is of a lesser degree

Secondly, Aang's powers are different from those of the Exalted

Thirdly, there are multiple Exalted.

And more.

Comment

• I'm not saying it's a perfect fit - just that it fits better than Jeff Goldblum, Randy Quaid and Will Smith defeating an army of aliens in one fell swoop after getting their nuts stomped for three-quarters of the movie.

He/him

Comment

I'm not saying it's a perfect fit - just that it fits better than Jeff Goldblum, Randy Quaid and Will Smith defeating an army of aliens in one fell swoop after getting their nuts stomped for three-quarters of the movie.
                        Frankly speaking the entire thing shouldn't be a movie. It should be a TV show.

More time that way.

Comment

• “The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.”

“Then the liberated Old Ones would teach them new ways to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, and all the earth would flame with a holocaust of ecstasy and freedom.”

The world has long since gone mad. No, that would be too kind a word. The universe, the multiverse, has long since gone insane. The stars have long gone right, and the Old Ones have come. Call it Case Nightmare Green. The end of the world. The End Times. Apocalypse. Rapture. It didn't matter. Mankind no longer rose on shining cities. Mankind no longer lived on the green grass, beneath the blue sky. They no longer wore clothing of cotton, of silk, of flax. They did not write, make poetry, or any other things like invention. They did not build roads, bridges, houses, nor pottery. The Old Ones have come, and mankind fell from its once lofty perch. Forget the promise of civilization. Forget things like BASILISK attacks and computational demonology or D-engines. Mankind now lived like animals, maddened, the majority of their free will compromised. They rutted, worshipped, drank, ate, and were dressed only in the most rudimentary of animal skins. They knelt at the feet of gods, the Elder Races, the Old Ones, and everything in between. Barely sapient, knowing only the mad songs of the Things Beyond. A wretched existence.

Somewhere, somewhen, in the universe, the Vault of Exaltation opened. And the sun rose. The pall of madness that clouded their minds was pushed away by the burning exaltation. The slavery placed on them was torn apart. Illumination followed Exaltation. Exaltation does not care about heartiness of body, or in more desperate situations, of mind. It only needed one thing. Free Will, and the desire to change the world. And the remnants of the human race, battered and reduced as they were, had this.

"The Exalted were created for one thing and one thing alone: To fight that which cannot be fought, and come out victorious"

Warriors with rage in their hearts took to battle against their previous masters, first wielding crude stone tools, then steel swords, then titanium, then orichalcum and plasma blades. Singers, performers, dancers, put a show for their fellows. Not just to distract their enemies, but to protect the minds of their warriors against madness and control. Craftsmen whose previous magnum opus were animal skins and crude flint now cranked out holy weaponry and spaceships, with forges that far surpassed anything that they had previously. Servitor races were created. Vast vaults, filled to the brim with cloning tanks, pumped out legions of humans for population replacement. The human race from mere tens of thousands to millions, then billions, implanted with memories and skills and used to fight monsters from beyond reality, their minds ringing with propaganda and the golden words of Solar cheerleaders.

The very structure of the universe buckled and broke, and at the very end, the monsters were driven back, curious and horrified at what had happened to them. Several of their number were dead. Some didn't even realize it happened, so deep within their dreaming they were, or so ignorant. Either way, now it is a cold war. A humanity, recently freed from their shackles within living memory, all of them recently empowered by the standards of canon. No more than several centuries old. Now that they have breathing room, they now have time to rebuild, take stock of themselves, and bring the fight to the old ones.

Life within the territory taken by the Exalted is one fraught with uncertainty, fear, and terror. There is now a new generation of children who have never known the madness inflicted by the Ones Beyond. There are clone pilots who have exalted, or those who have not, and are now resentful of the lower status they hold as cannon fodder to slow down attacks. Servitor races now work, but not only are they agitating for rights and rebellion, but the Exalted Host is now split on what to do with them. Some call for extermination. Some call for slavery. Some call for mercy.

The Exalted are now battle-scarred warriors who have seen things man was not meant to see. Yes, they have charms to protect against madness and mind control. Yes, they have charms to protect against insanity and fatigue. No, this does not mean that they are completely unharmed by the war. In the fight for all mankind, there are no civilians. Which means that even the most cloistered scholars have seen things that would have a lesser man shaken. This includes majority of the living Celestial Exalts, all Sidereals, and all elder Dragonblooded. This has led to some tensions with their younger, minor counterparts.

The sudden and new freedom of humanity has done strange things. Lacking any original myth binding them together save for the coming of the Exaltations. There is no Unconquered Sun to give grand speeches on the potential of humanity. There is no Mandate of Heaven to legitimise them, or even explain what they are. There is no spirits, no gods, no greater mythology to comfort them and tell them of their place in the universe. No Jadeborn backup. No friendly autochthon. No Dragon Kings. No Yu-Shan. All in all, the Exalted are very very aware they are alone in a hostile universe, and that if they were to fail, humanity has failed forever.

Comment

• Why is it, when a thread is necro'ed, it is always you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                              Why is it, when a thread is necro'ed, it is always you?

I mean, if you don't like it I can always start up a new thread. But that would be too much effort, too much work, and too much bandwidth devoted to a small idea.

And oh yes! Another thing. Think of this entire thing like post-apocalypse and battlestar galactica and Gunstar Autochthonia. Now, the Exalted don't have backup from the gods or autochthon. But they certainly have plenty of their own power. Maybe instead of lands, they instead of a gigantic starship ala Battlestar Sol. A single immense starship with a hole in space, not dissimilar to a N/A demense, capable of near infinite power, engines the size of continents and guns that entire moons can be swallowed by. With a perfect defense to boot. And probably an entire army of alchemicals.

Comment

• Sounds like a mix of Tribe 8 (which is post-apoc humans where magically impowered humans rise up and drive off incomprehensible amoral alien gods) and Stargate (which is 'Murican-military-humans F**k Yeah! Fighting the evil alien 'gods' with good old fashioned military know-how! But a little bit more thoughtful and Trek-y about it than you'd expect from that...)

Comment

Working...
                                X