Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RWBY volume 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RWBY volume 7

    Salutations! With the start of the new season, time for a new thread. And this volume we're a little on topic here because of

    the return of our favorite Alchemical exalt. With upgraded charms


  • #2

    Let's see how this one goes.
    I am irked at how they didn't struggle to escape the Aces. Penny's return is a little bit cleaner than I expected. Otherwise it's a good start.

    Comment


    • #3
      Is there a point to spoilers? No one should be reading a thread about Volume 7 unless they've seen the first episode. Spoilers for the second episode would make sense since by then people could watch the first episode for free.


      EDIT: Episode's out, removing spoiler tags.



      I've been warning people from the start that Penny was likely going to come back just fine. A robotic person isn't human and doesn't have human anatomy. She didn't die, she just fell into sleep-mode. A robotic coma.

      It makes a lot of sense to assign Penny to a rearguard position. Mantle needs a rapid responder who can quickly reach any single Grimm incursion that actually reaches the city. She can free up a lot of Specialists and independent Huntsmen that Ironwood can move to the broken border walls, which would be constantly attacked at multiple points, and thus require multiple defenders at all times to prevent any Grimm from reaching the city in the first place.

      A lot of people in Mantle likely love Dr. Pietro Polendina for his willingness to live on the earth with them instead of in the clouds with the elites, and he offers them healthcare services. So a lot of people probably trust and adore Penny for her father’s sake. The fact that she's so cheerful devoted to protecting them, and effective at it, probably helps.


      The Ace-Ops are easy to hate right now, but we'd be cheering for them if the invaders they had captured were Cinder and Neo. That's sadly not what happened.

      I'm hoping that Ironwood is going to scold Weiss for breaking the law and physically assaulting a man who didn't do anything worse than insult someone who he overheard insulting his home. Yes, he was being racist, but Weiss was being a terrorist for shutting down someone's free speech with violence. She might as well have thrown a firebomb into that bar with the No Faunus sign, just like Sienna Khan's White Fang. Blake knows this is wrong, and that's why she was trying to break away without a fight. Weiss isn't being an ally when she disregards Blake's desires like that.
      Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 12-16-2019, 11:28 AM.


      Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

      My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

      Comment


      • #4
        Well, gotta keep the habit going.
        Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
        I've been warning people from the start that Penny was likely going to come back just fine. A robotic person isn't human and doesn't have human anatomy. She didn't die, she just fell into sleep-mode. A robotic coma.

        It makes a lot of sense to assign Penny to a rearguard position. Mantle needs a rapid responder who can quickly reach any single Grimm incursion that actually reaches the city. She can free up a lot of Specialists and independent Huntsmen that Ironwood can move to the broken border walls, which would be constantly attacked at multiple points, and thus require multiple defenders at all times to prevent any Grimm from reaching the city in the first place.

        A lot of people in Mantle likely love Dr. Pietro Polendina for his willingness to live on the earth with them instead of in the clouds with the elites, and he offers them healthcare services. So a lot of people probably trust and adore Penny for her father’s sake. The fact that she's so cheerful devoted to protecting them, and effective at it, probably helps.


        The Ace-Ops are easy to hate right now, but we'd be cheering for them if the invaders they had captured were Cinder and Neo. That's sadly not what happened.

        I'm hoping that Ironwood is going to scold Weiss for breaking the law and physically assaulting a man who didn't do anything worse than insult someone who he overheard insulting his home. Yes, he was being racist, but Weiss was being a terrorist for shutting down someone's free speech with violence. She might as well have thrown a firebomb into that bar with the No Faunus sign, just like Sienna Khan's White Fang. Blake knows this is wrong, and that's why she was trying to break away without a fight. Weiss isn't being an ally when she disregards Blake's desires like that.
        I have zero problem with who those guys are, but it really feels like the crew got jobbed. Since they are "The ace ops" I'd expect them to successfully gank the team, but not qrow. (neither maria, but she wasn't even there ), and I'd sure expect a little more struggle.

        Since the intro (gods that intro went full Tank at the start XD) gives them quite a bit of focus, I'd say it's pretty safe they're, at least in intent, on the crew's side. They'll probably get released fast once people start filing paperwork, and we'll see how that goes...
        Last edited by Synapse; 11-05-2019, 07:16 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
          The Ace-Ops are easy to hate right now, but we'd be cheering for them if the invaders they had captured were Cinder and Neo. That's sadly not what happened.
          I don't like them in a narrative sense because I recognise there's very little chance of that happening. You could replace Cinder and Neo with someone less dangerous that the team's already beaten like Tyrian (or Adam, if he was still alive) and the smart money would be on a lot of dead Ace-Ops.



          Onyx Path Forum Moderator
          Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lioness View Post
            I don't like them in a narrative sense because I recognise there's very little chance of that happening. You could replace Cinder and Neo with someone less dangerous that the team's already beaten like Tyrian (or Adam, if he was still alive) and the smart money would be on a lot of dead Ace-Ops.
            Cinder and Neo will be arriving on a Mistralian ship without Atlesian tracking devices, and Neo can also disguise them against the camera drones. That doesn't mean that Ironwood's methods are worthless, because without those Cinder and Neo could just stroll right in without even needing to be careful. This way, it's possible that they could make a mistake and get caught.

            Adam was never shown to be on the level of a professional Huntsman like Qrow or anyone who might qualify to be called an Ace among the Atlesian Specialists. Adam was defeated by only two members of Team RWBY, while Tyrian effortlessly made fools of Team RNJR.

            Tyrian was matched by Qrow alone. He might manage to kill a single Ace-Op, but five-to-one isn't good odds for him when the five are fully trained professionals.
            Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 12-16-2019, 11:29 AM.


            Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

            My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
              Cinder and Neo will be arriving on a Mistralian ship without Atlesian tracking devices, and Neo can also disguise them against the camera drones. That doesn't mean that Ironwood's methods are worthless, because without those Cinder and Neo could just stroll right in without even needing to be careful. This way, it's possible that they could make a mistake and get caught.

              Adam was never shown to be on the level of a professional Huntsman like Qrow or anyone who might qualify to be called an Ace among the Atlesian Specialists. Adam was defeated by only two members of Team RWBY, while Tyrian effortlessly made fools of Team RNJR.

              Tyrian was matched by Qrow alone. He might manage to kill a single Ace-Op, but five-to-one isn't good odds for him when the five are fully trained professionals.
              Keyword is narrative. We're not going to see the Ace-Ops take down one of the show's major antagonists. Also Tyrian and Hazel killed a lot of Hunters and Huntresses off-screen to the point Qrow couldn't recruit any at all prior to Haven, this show doesn't generally follow logic.



              Onyx Path Forum Moderator
              Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                Also Tyrian and Hazel killed a lot of Hunters and Huntresses off-screen to the point Qrow couldn't recruit any at all prior to Haven, this show doesn't generally follow logic.
                Tyrian could only match Qrow, and not all Huntsmen are on Qrow's level.

                Hazel made a mockery of Qrow. Hazel wouldn't even need Tyrian's help to kill a Huntsman on Qrow's level, and Qrow himself would need to fly away from any battleground he could afford to abandon.

                Tock showed us that if you want to assassinate a Huntsman, a great time to strike is while they're on a mission, after the Grimm have softened them up. And Leo gave them all the information they needed to ambush exhausted Huntsmen. Tyrian could do the same to tip the scales in his favor.
                Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 12-16-2019, 11:29 AM.


                Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

                My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

                Comment


                • #9
                  well, if anyone needs inspiration for artifact evocations, the new episode delivers

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    and people are already shipping Ruby+Harriet

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Of course they are >.> Shippers ruin everything.

                      I am also laughing at a few people who manifested surprise at Ruby's semblance not being speed. The Petal Cloak, Ungrounded Turns and the Splitting were pretty solid hints at that!!

                      I also am in love with Harriet's style. A basic puncher armed with a punch enhancer and ludicrous speed!!!!!!! It feels good to see a simple fighter like that contrasting with her far zanier team mates.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Ruby’s been using her Semblance to fly and generate windstorms since Volume 2, Chapter 1. Also especially in the Ruby Short.

                        In terms of Warframes, she’s more Zephyr than Volt or Gauss.


                        Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

                        My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You should see the Qrow ships that have set sail in the last two weeks.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Much to my discontent XD

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Qrow is approaching Blake levels of omnidirectional subtext.

                              "this show doesn't generally follow logic." - gonna be hard to top this for succinct Ruby summary. The rule of cool has no respect for power rankings or consistent mechanics. See Squirrel Girl.

                              The first three episodes of Volume 7 gives me a contrived, showoff feel to its opening combats, similar to Volume 3. But, if it ends half as good as that season, I'll be quite pleased. Tear my heart out, RWBY; I'm ready.

                              Penny's having to wait line was a very on-point characterization. I was also quite pleased with the Winter/Weiss sister dynamic in their mini-scene. RWBY is a show where if the plot decided to wander off and never come back, leaving all the screentime for character moments, I would be quite pleased. Like, the mystery of how to thwart the immortal wicked witch is entertaining, but as entertaining as Nora goofing it up? I don't think so.



                              The Lunar Castebooks fan project - Complete! (Changing, Full, No, and Casteless)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X