Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vampire hunter D View Post
    tying this back to exalted:

Salem's scene, that had to be Presence 5+ and Manipulation 5+. (I forget, does 3E do skills and attributes over 5 still?). Probably some charms too considering how fast Ruby broke down.

btw, did anyone else see Ruby's eyes turnblue for a fraction of a second? The same shade as Yang's eyes. I think Salem was doing something to nullify the silver eyes or something.
    I figure it wasn't a deliberate power of Salem's, she just knows Something about Silver Eyes. Like "They can't be used if you're in a depressive breakdown", given how you seem to activate them. Salem, in game terms, wouldn't be using a Charm or magic effect to go "I negate your Silver Eyes", just using words and psychology to put Ruby in a state of mind where she can't activate her Silver Eyes.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

she still rolled a buttload of succeses though

Comment

Level 3 stunt. Maxed Excellency. Hit a pretty powerful Intimacy
        Last edited by Kyman201; 01-18-2020, 10:43 PM.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

nothing to do with current season, but this came up on Reddit and it's the best AU Pyrrha I've seen

by y8ay8a. From a Jaune-dies AU. Still looks awesome.

Comment

I am so. So. So pissed off at the characters.

Apparently, Remnant didn't have anything like Nuremberg to hammer home that "Just following orders" is not an adequate legal defense and soldiers should be trained to have at least enough initiative and ethics to question their orders.

I thought "don't need to understand, just need to obey" was limited. That kind of obedience is a virtue in a crisis, when there's no time to second-guess your superior officer and he needs compliance NOW or else the whole situation falls apart.

The Ace-Ops are all Yes Men. Not necessarily bootlickers, but none of them question Ironwood's orders even when he's clearly tipped over the edge through a combination of fear, pain, and painkillers.

And CLOVER. Fucking hell, Clover. He's such an eager attack dog that he ignores his standing orders to apprehend and jail Tyrian in order to focus on Qrow Branwen. He completely ignores any semblance of sense to execute the latest order given to him regardless of time and place. The man was a fucking TOOL.
            Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 02-04-2020, 02:01 PM.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

This episode was fucking heartbreaking.

Good freaking GOD, this is what happens when you train for loyalty and have unchecked power. I appreciate RT for being so unsubtle, actually, and for making it very clear that yes, James is just doing what he thinks is best. And yet, as I've said... James Ironwood, a good man, will doom us all.

In addition, the fights are GLORIOUS. Like, the teamwork displayed in the Ace-Ops vs RWBY was stellar, with logical flow and exploitation of weaknesses and shortcomings that can logically be inferred as RWBY having picked up from training with the Ops. But the real star, to me, was Clover v Tyrian v Qrow. Yes, Clover was a tool who made the wrong choices, to the surprise of nobody who was paying attention. But like, the movement and choreography of that fight, with Tyrian contributing his already-chaotic fighting style to ASSISTING Qrow (which to be clear Qrow clearly did NOT want, and he was at best IGNORING Tyrian because Clover was interfering) was absolutely fascinating to watch.

Comment

I have a bad feeling about how at least one of the outstanding plots will play out in the finale

right now ORNJ if facing Neo, but no one else, except team RWBY, knows who she is or what she can do. However, Atlas's stormtroopers have outstanding orders to apprehend ORNJ, which I bet includes secure the Lamp from Oscar. All Neo will need to do is assume a stormtrooper disguise and grab the Lamp as the others restrain the heroes. They'll just see one of their own assisting them. Then she can merrily skip off with the relic

And thus with one order Ironwood would have, in less than an hour, undone all the efforts and gains the heroes have done in the year since beacon

Well, I still hope Cinder is somehow thwarted. Fingers crossed Fria thinks of her long lost granddaughter maybe?

Last edited by vampire hunter D; 01-26-2020, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                  I am so. So. So pissed off at the characters.

Apparently, Remnant didn't have anything like Nuremberg to hammer home that "Just following orders" is not an adequate legal defense and soldiers should be trained to have at least enough initiative and ethics to question their orders.

I thought "don't need to understand, just need to obey" was limited. That kind of obedience is a virtue in a crisis, when there's no time to second-guess your superior officer and he needs compliance NOW or else the whole situation falls apart.

The Ace-Ops are all Yes Men. Not necessarily bootlickers, but none of them question Ironwood's orders even when he's clearly tipped over the edge through a combination of fear, pain, and painkillers.
                  goood, goood, let the hate flow through you.

I'm not gonna sit up here on Mt. Itoldyaso because I haven't watched since the stupid Penny Election bullshit, but seeing the non haters give in to grief and exasperation... it has a taste like vindication.

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post

goood, goood, let the hate flow through you.

I'm not gonna sit up here on Mt. Itoldyaso because I haven't watched since the stupid Penny Election bullshit, but seeing the non haters give in to grief and exasperation... it has a taste like vindication.
                    Bruh, we're trying to discuss something and have fun with it, you said you were bowing out. Please hold to that.

Comment

• I kind of expected the A squad were going to be a problem from when we first met them. Granted the reason has kind of shifted as the season went around, I mean when we first met them they were taking out our main group after a fight against Grimm. So I mean no insight there. The thing is when they explained that they took out the group because they were told to bring them in and they defaulted to SWAT Team arrest tactics I kind of figured they were just blanket follow order types. Though at this phase I'd suspected it was more likely to go a civil war scenario with them opposing our group, or bad guy managing to get control of the military (likely through hacking control things a la Aizen's kill and replace of Central 46 in Bleach.) That said I will point out that one of Ace-ops even said "Questions are for the weak" when Weiss mentioned they could have identified the group by asking questions when Ace-ops was voicing their regret for the whole capture thing. Not helped when Harriet mentions that Ace-ops viewed eachother as more coworkers.

So that had me considering Winter's loyalty to Ironwood and that I don't recall ever having it mentioned if she'd had a team. So basically what it seems like is Atlas trains its Hunters as military, previously stated in series, but I don't think consistent groups are a common thing. Basically it seems they're taught to not question their COs orders and not think about it because the CO knows far more than they do and have more experience ergo questioning orders beyond necessary clarification is something trained out of them. To use an analogy I think in The Realm it mentions The Thousand Correct Actions as the defacto military doctrine that a soldier officer are supposed to use as opposed to insane idea of coming up with a new strategy. [2:30 am paraphrasing here, so not 100% recalled.] Its mentioned if you follow the book and the strategy doesn't work it means you somehow failed to apply the stratagems properly, but so long as you were in the right area its less shameful then it would be. Whereas a new strategy that one attempts is entirely on your head, if it succeeds great, but your not getting looked at favorably even if it seems you avoided looking like you won by getting luck, and if it fails everything that happens from it is your fault.

So with Ace-ops I feel like they've had it drilled in that questioning orders gets people killed, likely them or the other huntsmen, so they're at the point where if they're given orders they just go at them because not doing so has been long established as a bad idea and if it goes wrong then its all your fault and you get punished for insubordination. (Hell maybe even if it goes well.) And this last bit is based on nothing that comes immediately to mind, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're also trained that they may never know the reasons for some of their orders and they should just trust that it was done for the best reasons as no way would someone unworthy of the position end up giving the orders.

This may also be supported by the fact that Ironwood just expected everything to go well once he outed the Salem's existence to the world. I spent like the first half of the season going, "What are you planning to tell them? Because 'leader of terrorist group responsible for the fall of Beacon' will get a very different answer then 'Immortal queen of the Grimm from the world before, who wields literal magic in addition to the power to create and command the monsters that ravage the world and can't be killed by anything save the gods that created our world and will end us all if they come back and we're not close enough to a Utopia for their tastes.'" I mean might just be me on that front.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

Bruh, we're trying to discuss something and have fun with it, you said you were bowing out. Please hold to that.

please don't feed the trolls

Comment

• I'm not really feeling the hate to the Ace Ops or Ironwood. They've evacuated most of Mantle, and see RWBY meddling with the move Atlas plans as endangering Atlas. The 'just following orders' thing feels unfair - it's fine to disagree with them, but they gave the reasons they sided with Ironwood rather than arguing to defend Mantle last episode.

However... Clover doesn't really have that. While he was an idiot, Qrow and Robyn were also idiots. That entire fight escalating seemed off - these people are supposed to be a bit more mature, but they came off as more hotheaded than their counterparts. I sodding hate Tyrian, but I've got to give him credit - he was the one smart guy in that fight. (It kinda felt like the relationship between Qrow and Clover was supposed to be more intense than I really thought? That would explain them both getting emotional about this.)

As to other fight scenes.... I wonder if this ends up being a wipe for the forces of good. RWBY goes after the staff, distracting Ironwood and allowing Salem to get it. ORNJ could go either way, but it's a mistake to underestimate Neo. And as to the Maiden fight...

Well, I'm gonna keep my theory on that one to myself. I'm wondering something. But a wider theory

Is Salem planning a full attack on Atlas?

She implied it, but I wonder if she was mostly trying to get Ironwood to panic, and thus tip his hand with both the Maiden and Relic so she could secure both.

Comment

• It's a mix of all of those things.
                            The ops had every reason to feel betrayed, as they were, in a sense. Add the drill on top and bam.

Now on the Clover scenario...

1) Robyn has always been shown to be overly aggressive when it comes to antagonize Ironwood. It took a literal soul-deep truthbomb for her to even consider talking peace, and that is gone in a flash .
                            2) Qrow spent pretty much 80% of the fight trying to deescalate. When tyrian showed up, he stopped fighting clover to fight T. And Clover didn't let him.
                            3) Qrow has a history of angst and losing friends in this particular kind of conflict. He doesn't react well at all to betrayal either, and he knows he can take Tyrian. He did it before.
                            4) Tyrian, nuts as he is, still is Salem's trusted disciple like the other three. Given her MO, sowing chaos and capitalizing on it is a skill they all should have way up.

By the time Q was seeing red this seemed an easy proposition.

The characters made bad decisions all around. Those mistakes are very much in character.

All that said....

GODDAMN THE FIGHTS HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

Comment

• Originally posted by Synapse View Post
                              All that said....

GODDAMN THE FIGHTS HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
                              I can't tell if you liked them or not, Synapse. Is that a groan of awe or pain?

And yeah, I agree. I feel this kinda does Robyn a disservice, as she's basically made things worse for everyone all volume but I can't really call this sorta rash confrontation OOC for her.

Comment

• I loved them XD

Comment

Working...
                                X