House Ledaal Overdrive Charm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Ledaal Overdrive Charm

So there's this idea in What Fire has Wrought that House Ledaal has developed some sorcerous thing that allows Dragonblooded to overcharge their bodies and stand toe-to-toe with Anathema on a one-to-one basis, at the cost of a massive reduction in lifespan. I think it's probably a bad idea to print out the specifics of that, mostly for meta reasons. For one you'll have people who think it's not so bad and every DB will just do it and any non-DB game will just be about hiding from the 25,000 elemental Solars in the world. Or you'll have STs who reign it in past that, but like, of course every Wyld Hunt will have it, obviously. It also will end up dividing DB games into games with that ability and without, because if you run with half the people taking it you're basically running a mixed game and don't know it.

So all that being said, I want to make it anyway for fun, in a way that I think might maybe be balanced? Well, it's not balanced, that's for sure, but it might be as close as you're likely to get.

Embodiment of the (Element) Dragon

Cost: 1ahl Mins: Essence 3
    Type: Simple
    Keywords: Air or Earth or Fire or Water or Wood, Apocryphal
    Duration: Scene
    Prerequisite Charms: None

The Dragon-Blood focuses her soul, feeding it into the pyre that is her exaltation, letting it grow and rage beyond control. Pious house Ledaal members debate if this charm may actually emulate the Immaculate Dragons as they were in life. Upon paying the cost to activate this charm the Dragon-Blood instantly enters her Aspect Aura and her anima rises to bonfire. She may then reflexively activate any other charm she knows at no cost, as long as those charms involve self-enhancement or taking a stance, such as Swallows Defend the Nest, or Raging Fire-Dragon Spirit. She also gains 5 initiative, and 5 temporary willpower, even if this would put her above her maximum.

While this charm is active all of the Dragon-Blood's dice caps are increased by 4 and counts her Essence as 2 higher for the purposes of charm calculations. At the end of each round she regenerates an additional 5 motes.

At the end of the scene the nearly uncontained essence explodes from the user, any remaining unfilled health levels are filled with Bashing damage and the Dragon-Blood ages by (Essence x 10) years.

Upon learning this charm the Terrestrial's life is set. No form of lifespan increasing magic has any affect on her. Dragonblooded users of this charm near the end of their life take on the appearance of somebody not only elderly, but drained and hollow.

So, did I miss something and this is way more broken than I think? Is it not nearly good enough and needs some major buffs to even be worth a non-apocryphal charm?

The biggest drawback to this Charm is that it's Simple. Being KO'd after and burning lifespan and the 1ahl cost are pretty trivial compared to missing a combat turn.
    So if the exalt would have wanted to use a Simple charm on the first turn anyways, this is just absolutely bonkers.
    I'd call paying 1ahl for any individual benefit of this charm at least a situational but pretty good deal. The full package is just nuts.

That said, I'm not sure it would let a Dragonblooded go toe-to-toe with a Solar with equivalent investment. The dice gap is only part of the performance gap, Solar Charms are just so much better that all the Solar would probably have a good chance if they made the fight as fast as possible. Worth running some fights!

Comment

It’s not going to survive turn 1 alpha strike Solars that’s for sure, but to be fair most Solars won’t either. This isn’t meant to be a charm that when activated lets DBs clown Solars for a scene, just clash on par with them. I also considered making it reflexive but it just didn’t FEEL right. Like if you overcharge your soul like that I really don’t see that being BOOM reflexive. I was thinking the 5 willpower could help make up the charm gap by letting you spend them like cheap candy, and also with the Essence modification charms like Crossfire Flash and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
        I also considered making it reflexive but it just didn’t FEEL right. Like if you overcharge your soul like that I really don’t see that being BOOM reflexive.
        You could always say that after using this Charm the DB's combat action for the turn is reset. That way the transformation sequence isn't BOOM instant, but you don't lose your turn for it either. And honestly the DB getting to land a blow immediately after powering up to 11 feels right.
        Last edited by Epitome; 11-07-2019, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Yeah maybe, although maybe no simple charms, so no activating it right into Harnessed Firestorm Assault, and ditch the 5 free initiative.

Edit: or maybe simple charms, I guess it’s alright, it’s apocryphal anyway.
          Last edited by DrLoveMonkey; 11-07-2019, 12:51 AM.

Comment

I always imagined that the Ledaal Super Shikari process was a long term enhancement, that would come to bite Ledaal in the ass when the Shikari started Limit Breaking.

Comment

Originally posted by HamSandLich View Post
              I always imagined that the Ledaal Super Shikari process was a long term enhancement, that would come to bite Ledaal in the ass when the Shikari started Limit Breaking.
              I tried to think of a way to balance it like that, but I couldn’t come up with one. Most PCs just don’t care that their character has his lifespan cut short by 125 years, so long as that’s not likely within the scope of the game.

Comment

Yeah, the problem with using life span as a resource in a Tabletop game is that that's the problem of the PC in the future, after the story concludes, so it doesn't matter.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                  Yeah, the problem with using life span as a resource in a Tabletop game is that that's the problem of the PC in the future, after the story concludes, so it doesn't matter.
                  It's also very difficult to make matter in a way that's not just a MP gauge. You start with what, 750 years max? Assume a starting age of 50 and you've got 23 uses at E3 and a decade left over. Then you get to choose if you want to suicide the PC to bring in a new guy with a full gauge or keep playing this guy minus one Charm.
                  And if it can't become the problem of the PC in the now, since if it does they're dead. Which is actually fine, because then another Dragonblooded with a similar level of competence shows up. And your last PC's problems aren't your new PC's problems. (Or the GM starts the "Punish deaths" shitstorm. That's always a fun one!)

Comment

Working...
                  X