Treatment of Sorcerers in 3E - Realm Society and Immaculate Order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treatment of Sorcerers in 3E - Realm Society and Immaculate Order

I'm a little unclear on how the Immaculate Order treats sorcerers and sorcery in general in Third Edition.
    From reading through the Dragon-Blooded and Realm books, I see statements saying things like that people with a talent for sorcery sometimes come to the Immaculate Order to pursue their art/talent.

I'm not entirely sure I get how the Order treats these things, if they encourage them, discourage them, harness them, treat sorcerers suspiciously or view it as just another tool? Would there be an intellectual rivalry between the Order and the Heptagram, for example, with sorcery being more of a secular thing?

The treatment of society in general is also a little vague to me.
    I read that the various Houses recognize the usefulness of sorcerers but doesn't like sorcery and tends to keep sorcerers at arm's length, especially from the statements in The Quiet Art sidebar of pg. 88 of Dragon-Blooded.

I'm still not entirely clear on what that means exactly.
    In the previous edition there were descriptions of things like Dynast sorcerers not getting invited to certain social events, being housed in remote wings of the family estate and so on.

If I understand right, some of the previous prejudices were relaxed a bit as I recall certain Houses in 2E were described as outright prohibiting/disowning sorcerers from their lines and refusing to marry sorcerers and that a Dynastic scion going to study at the Heptagram could cause marriage contracts to be broken because of it, etc.

How much still holds the same way?

Originally posted by Serpent Axis View Post
    From reading through the Dragon-Blooded and Realm books, I see statements saying things like that people with a talent for sorcery sometimes come to the Immaculate Order to pursue their art/talent.
    I recall that talking mostly about what the Order does with mortals who end up initiated into sorcery. It's improper, but they have a capacity to use it in the Order's service, in which case they'll probably be treated as having redeemed themselves a bit.

I don't think the Order as a whole is supposed to have any exceptional ideas or policies about sorcery in general, they'll just be along the same lines as the rest of the Realm.

Originally posted by Serpent Axis
    Would there be an intellectual rivalry between the Order and the Heptagram, for example, with sorcery being more of a secular thing?
    No, I think the Heptagram is still treated as the authority on people who are sanctioned to learn and use sorcery. The Order takes in the outliers, but it's not a competing school in general.

The treatment of society in general is also a little vague to me.
    I read that the various Houses recognize the usefulness of sorcerers but doesn't like sorcery and tends to keep sorcerers at arm's length, especially from the statements in The Quiet Art sidebar of pg. 88 of Dragon-Blooded.

I'm still not entirely clear on what that means exactly.
    In the previous edition there were descriptions of things like Dynast sorcerers not getting invited to certain social events, being housed in remote wings of the family estate and so on.
    Second Edition's own references to extended families living in collected estates was rather inconsistent, and Third Edition is more focused on them having individual households. Sorcerers are still referred to as liable to live in more distantly removed lodgings as a response to fellows pushing them out a bit. The decreased likelihood of being invited to parties still holds up.

If I understand right, some of the previous prejudices were relaxed a bit as I recall certain Houses in 2E were described as outright prohibiting/disowning sorcerers from their lines and refusing to marry sorcerers and that a Dynastic scion going to study at the Heptagram could cause marriage contracts to be broken because of it, etc.
    Yeah, both of those are defunct. Marriage contracts aren't even supposed to be negotiated until one is a proper adult out of school.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

From the current draft of Heirs to the Shogunate, regarding the sorcery curriculum at secondary schools other than the Heptagram: "The Cloister of Wisdom hosts the most advanced curriculum, teaching sorcery holistically in accordance with doctrine and the Immaculate Dragons’ wisdom. Immaculate sorcerer-monks endure less of the Realm’s prejudices and fears regarding sorcerers, provided they adhere to the Philosophy in all things — particularly in their sorcery."

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

Thanks, you two!

Comment

Working...
        X