Martial Arts Compatibility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial Arts Compatibility

Someone had a question on here about which Martial Arts are compatible with others based on Form Weapons or Complimentary Abilities. It sounded like a fun project so I threw a quick sheet together. No idea if something like this already exists, but a cursory search didn't turn anything up and I needed the thought experiment for my brain.

Behold, the Martial Art Style Compatibility Sheet. (You will have to Make a Copy to use it, I will not grant anyone Edit rights to the original)

With this you can see all the compatible Armor types, Form Weapons, and Complimentary Abilities and sort by them. It's a bit of a bonkers bit of code so it's possible it'll miss something but I think I tested all the possible combinations. I went through the Core book, DB book, and Lunars book to get the styles but if anyone is aware of more content please let me know. It's actually pretty easy to fill in your own data on the Data tab. Just make sure to follow the format and the rest should just work!

Let me know how it works!

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

1. That's really cool and usefull!

2. It seems to be missing Laughing Monsters Style from Lunars (Unarmed, Staff, War Fan, Whip).

3. It lists styles using seven-section staffs and regular staff when choosing staff.
    Last edited by limaxophobiac; 12-02-2019, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Tiger Style is listed as No Armor only, when it should allow for Light Armor as well.

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

Originally posted by limaxophobiac View Post
        1. That's really cool and usefull!
        Thanks! That's the intent!

2. It seems to be missing Laughing Monsters Style from Lunars (Unarmed, Staff, War Fan, Whip).
        Whoops just overlooked that one. It's added now.

3. It lists styles using seven-section staffs and regular staff when choosing staff.
        I took the lazy way out and changed just staff to "Staves". That shouldn't happen now. There's probably a more elegant way to do it but it works for now.
        Last edited by The Unsung Hero; 12-05-2019, 12:42 PM.

I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post
          Tiger Style is listed as No Armor only, when it should allow for Light Armor as well.
          Whoopsie, I missed that somehow. It's fixed now! Thanks for pointing it out!

Comment

This is really cool, my Lunars players will appreciate this. :-)

Comment

Oh its also missing Wood Dragon.

Comment

Oh its also missing Wood Dragon.
                So funny story, Wood Dragon IS in there, but my formula was locked to a set range and when I added Laughing Monsters Style it pushed the last alphabetical style outside of the range. I've fixed the range to go infinitely in case new styles get added by me or anyone else and it should work now. If you've made a copy of this already you might want to do it again so you get the fixed formula.

Thanks for the callout!

Comment

Due to a request, I added a column that shows the Source Book you can find the Martial Art in. I did not add a filter for it. I CAN but it is a level of complex I'd need a very compelling reason to perform. Hopefully just having the reference will be enough. Enjoy!
                  Last edited by The Unsung Hero; 12-05-2019, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Black Claw style is compatible with any weapon you take from someone with Table-Turning Reversal, which makes it the only MA compatible every weapon in the game.

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
                      Black Claw style is compatible with any weapon you take from someone with Table-Turning Reversal, which makes it the only MA compatible every weapon in the game.
                      The only MA currently compatible. We might see another enhanced disarming technique in future publications, after all.

(And even so it’s only for the scene in which you appropriated it.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
                        Only weapons that can be disarmed, which doesn't usually include Worn weapons.

But yeah, if you know Black Claw Style and Single Point Style, you could totally disarm someone of their slashing sword and use that weapon with both of your Styles.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Short of having Black Claw appear on every list or putting every weapon in as compatible (which feels slightly dishonest in this context) I'm not sure how to put that level of granularity on there. Might just have to be an exception one is aware of. hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                            The only MA currently compatible. We might see another enhanced disarming technique in future publications, after all.

(And even so it’s only for the scene in which you appropriated it.)
                            This added nothing to the conversation and was sheer pedantry.

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                              Short of having Black Claw appear on every list or putting every weapon in as compatible (which feels slightly dishonest in this context) I'm not sure how to put that level of granularity on there. Might just have to be an exception one is aware of. hmmm
                              Black Claw's compatibility with stolen weapons seems too niche to be worth listing in such a way.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Working...
                              X