No announcement yet.

Exalted: Essence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we want to keep battle groups, and do we want battle groups to be more challenging in a simplified combat system?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• I think the power of battle groups is fine.
      They're also fairly simple. I often use them instead of another NPC to reduce complexity.
      There's probably a few ways to reduce their complexity though, especially in terms of making them and their stats.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
        I think the power of battle groups is fine.
        They're also fairly simple. I often use them instead of another NPC to reduce complexity.
        There's probably a few ways to reduce their complexity though, especially in terms of making them and their stats.
        I feel like battle groups who focus on a single target should penalize that target’s Defense with a preemptive onslaught penalty. Solar Charms can still negate it, and particularly White Reaper Style’s Revolving Crescent Defense.

if their numbers give them the power to attack multiple targets with the same attack, why shouldn’t those numbers help them overwhelm a single target with a focused attack?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post

I feel like battle groups who focus on a single target should penalize that target’s Defense with a preemptive onslaught penalty. Solar Charms can still negate it, and particularly White Reaper Style’s Revolving Crescent Defense.

if their numbers give them the power to attack multiple targets with the same attack, why shouldn’t those numbers help them overwhelm a single target with a focused attack?
          I believe that's what the Engage action is for.

Comment

• And engage with a command action is absolutely brutal.

Regardless, if Essence is aiming to be simpler, then at no point should extra rules that make things more complex be added.

I actually hope Overwhelming penalties won't be in Essence. Not that I have anything against them per-se, but it seems that Essence will have motes and mote regen in-combat from stunts, and so it's important to take out other things to keep track of.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

I believe that's what the Engage action is for.
              Hadn’t considered that. I saw it as dogpiling someone, but that would involve knocking the target prone as well as engaging them. Simply engaging a target would work like focusing down a single target, and Revolving Crescent Defense still logically helps against such a tactic.

But there’s no RAW limitation to how many characters a battle group can engage. I suppose that’s better to leave to ST discretion, based on the size, composition, and circumstances of the group.

Comment

I actually hope Overwhelming penalties won't be in Essence. Not that I have anything against them per-se, but it seems that Essence will have motes and mote regen in-combat from stunts, and so it's important to take out other things to keep track of.
                Removing onslaught is tricky with static defence values, it's the kind of thing that could fuck newbies for not optimising.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                  Removing onslaught is tricky with static defence values, it's the kind of thing that could fuck newbies for not optimising.
                  It's also one of the things keeping Wasted Turn Syndrome at bay. It's not great at it, but it helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                    I really hope character creation is less of a newbie trap.

Comment

I really hope character creation is less of a newbie trap.
                      To clarify I don't mean in the typical bp/xp way and more that players used to classes and trait ratings being a pretty big part of the character they're playing might make a group where the difference between the Twilight's combat ability vs. the Dawn's prevents them from meaningfully participating in the same combat.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                      Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                        Do we want to keep battle groups, and do we want battle groups to be more challenging in a simplified combat system?
                        Personally I wouldn't mind something closer to Scion's Followers, where they're heavily abstracted into something more like a character trait for the PC.

Antagonistic katamaris can suffice with a trait comparable to Legendary Size in how it distinguishes them from singular actors.

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
                          Personally I wouldn't mind something closer to Scion's Followers, where they're heavily abstracted into something more like a character trait for the PC.

Antagonistic katamaris can suffice with a trait comparable to Legendary Size in how it distinguishes them from singular actors.
                          I am intrigued.

Comment

• Scion's Followers, in summary:
                            • They're a Birthright (similar to a Merit) rated from 1-5.
                            • They have a single area they function in (Mental/Physical/Social).
                            • They can take two Injury Conditions (i.e. they have two health levels) and have Defense equal to half their rating. The player decides if the Follower or the PC takes damage from any attack; a defeated Follower comes back into play after a session.
                            • They get a tag per dot, which cover things like being able to flurry (due to being a group rather than an individual), a secondary area of focus (your warboys are also fuckboys), being unruly (higher difficulty to command them, but you get a game resource when you fail), or having a minor supernatural ability.
                            When commanding them, you roll (Attribute + [Followers rating or Leadership skill]) using your action. They can't act independently unless you're incapacitated, which denies them your Leadership, but that only matters if it's higher than your dots in the Birthright.

Antagonists can have a Swarm trait, which is simpler and only makes non-AoE attacks less effective. Unlike Followers, I'd like something more complex for EE.

Comment

• As an important note on how tough Followers are, in Scion (and Storypath in general) normal attacks can only do 1-2 damage per hit. So trying to take out Followers isn't hard, but it at least eats up time in a fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post

I think the main purpose of battle groups should not be as war-trousers for a PC like 2nd ed, it should be so you can run a fight quickly between a PC and 20 bandits. The BG rules do that pretty fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X