Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exalted: Essence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So, Exalted: Essence is now out of alpha testing and onto its first draft.

    From the sound of it, it's more Exalted: Simplified than a complete redesign. But that's just my impression.

    Couple more details from the Discord: dice pools max out around 20... which seemed very high to me, but I guess in regular Exalted you can roll 28 dice on a stab if you're maxed out, plus maybe some extra stuff.
    Anyway, for anyone hoping to not have to roll so many dice, that's a bit disappointing. They did say they want to reduce the number of steps though.

    Also, the universal charms will often get buffs when used by particulate Exalted types, but normally just 2-3, not all 10.


    I play...
    Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
    Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

    Comment


    • Having less than 20 dice probably doesn’t work well with the massive tower of power that exists in Exalted. There’s unskilled mortals, skilled mortals, spirits, various different exalted. If the difference between focused Solar and unskilled mortal is only 6 there might not be a lot of room for appreciable gradients.

      Comment


      • Add successes instead to get a gradation of power. Gradation in power requires gradation in numbers, not gradation in physical things bouncing around on a table. They're not going that way though, so it doesn't really matter as a conversation tangent...

        Comment


        • Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
          So, Exalted: Essence is now out of alpha testing and onto its first draft.

          From the sound of it, it's more Exalted: Simplified than a complete redesign. But that's just my impression.

          Couple more details from the Discord: dice pools max out around 20... which seemed very high to me, but I guess in regular Exalted you can roll 28 dice on a stab if you're maxed out, plus maybe some extra stuff.
          Anyway, for anyone hoping to not have to roll so many dice, that's a bit disappointing. They did say they want to reduce the number of steps though.

          Also, the universal charms will often get buffs when used by particulate Exalted types, but normally just 2-3, not all 10.
          This is probably sensible. I want a simpler set of rules for the existing system, rather than yet another system. This way, OPP also won't cannibalise their own sales and everyone is still playing 3e.
          Last edited by adambeyoncelowe; 01-21-2020, 05:40 AM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
            Having less than 20 dice probably doesn’t work well with the massive tower of power that exists in Exalted. There’s unskilled mortals, skilled mortals, spirits, various different exalted. If the difference between focused Solar and unskilled mortal is only 6 there might not be a lot of room for appreciable gradients.
            Or have Charms that set the difference not in number of successes or numbers of dice rolled, like Graceful Crane Stance.


            My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

            Comment


            • Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
              Having less than 20 dice probably doesn’t work well with the massive tower of power that exists in Exalted. There’s unskilled mortals, skilled mortals, spirits, various different exalted. If the difference between focused Solar and unskilled mortal is only 6 there might not be a lot of room for appreciable gradients.
              I think it's fine: an unskilled mortal in 3e has 3 dice, a skilled 5-6, and the elite troops in the core have 8-9. If that was reduced to 1, 2 and 3, then an Exalt using charms to get 6 dice to hit and a Defence of 3 would tower over them.


              I play...
              Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
              Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post

                This is probably sensible. I want a simpler set of rules for the existing system, rather than yet another system. This way, they don't cannibalise their own sales and everyone is still playing 3e.
                That certainly seems to be the intention. I'm... mixed on that. It does stay close to the current system, making conversion easy, and generally with Exalted I think "this is good but could really do with being 20% simpler". Which it sounds like I will get. And obviously I am running/playing Exalted because there's things I like about the system.

                But carrying the legacy of 1st edition Vampire: the Masquerade means I sometimes think certain things would be better if they were redesigned from the ground up.


                I play...
                Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

                Comment


                • Also from the Discord :

                  -Exalted : Essence will have less power difference between Exalts (3e already does this to an extent but Essence takes it further still).

                  -Charm effects specific to an Exalt type will never make the charm worse (e.g. there will be no "Terrestrial" tag that weakens MA Charms).

                  So all in all it sounds like DBs could be getting lots of love.

                  Comment


                  • So they redesign and rewrite Charms as well ? I wasn't sure if it was only Core mechanics with rules on how to adapt Charms from Normal to Essence


                    My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Chausse View Post
                      So they redesign and rewrite Charms as well ? I wasn't sure if it was only Core mechanics with rules on how to adapt Charms from Normal to Essence
                      Yes, many common Charms will become Universal across all Exalt types (e.g. Ox-Body Technique, Graceful Crane Stance), with Modes that give them something unique for certain Exalts (kinda like Mastery tags).

                      so as a made-up example you could have something like this :

                      Ox Body Technique (Universal)
                      Gain -1, -2, -4 Health Levels. Can be bought 5 times.

                      Modes
                      Lunar : Gain -1, -2, -4, -4.
                      Solar : Gain -0, -1, -2.
                      Dragonblooded : Can buy a 6th stack which grants -0, -4.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
                        This is probably sensible. I want a simpler set of rules for the existing system, rather than yet another system. This way, they don't cannibalise their own sales and everyone is still playing 3e.
                        Meanwhile, I want the opposite, because EX3 but less of it isn't something I'm looking for.

                        (Exalted product fails to please everyone; not even out yet; news at eleven.)

                        Comment


                        • Huge, huge thanks to everyone sharing spoiled details here.

                          (Discord is a pain to search, and also makes my eyes bleed.)


                          "For me, there's no fundamental conflict between really loving something and also seeing it as very profoundly flawed." -- Jay Eddidin

                          Comment


                          • Yeah, I only started watching the essence_ruleset part of the Exalted Discord because a)I was already using Discord for a Blood Bowl league, and b)I was unemployed and bored for the last 7 weeks, so had the time to wade through it. It's certainly not the easiest format to search.


                            I play...
                            Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                            Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

                            Comment


                            • @epitome's last post, it sounds like they think that Ex3 slightly overshoots to get the sort of flavour and balance of conflicts they see in the implies stories?

                              I guess it may make sense to reorient universal Charms so they're always building up from a base than adding extra complexity to reduce, in terms of feel?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Epitome View Post

                                Yes, many common Charms will become Universal across all Exalt types (e.g. Ox-Body Technique, Graceful Crane Stance), with Modes that give them something unique for certain Exalts (kinda like Mastery tags).

                                so as a made-up example you could have something like this :

                                Ox Body Technique (Universal)
                                Gain -1, -2, -4 Health Levels. Can be bought 5 times.

                                Modes
                                Lunar : Gain -1, -2, -4, -4.
                                Solar : Gain -0, -1, -2.
                                Dragonblooded : Can buy a 6th stack which grants -0, -4.
                                This makes sense.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X