Exalted: Essence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    So, Neall Reamon Price, who is one of the writers here, is one of the creatrs of the Storypath system, which I don't know a lot about. Have any of you played it? What's it like?
    \o Scion 2e player here. Honestly, I think Storypath is a big improvement over Storyteller. To the point where I kind of wanted to make a Storypath hack of Exalted. There's a few things that take some getting used to, but here's a few things I love which I will list here.
    • The Path system is pretty solid. It can vary depending on Scion and Trinity, but essentially Paths are like beefed-up Qualities from Fate, and can be used to justify bonuses to skill rolls, equipment, and social contacts. In most Storypath games, your Paths determine your Skill points in CharGen.
      • Example, a hypothetical Path of Exalts, a Scavenger Lord Path could be used by the player to go "I'm invoking my Path and saying I know a smuggler who can put us on the trail of these drug shipments"
    • The Crafting system in Scion is pretty excellent. It's like the opposite of the Ex3 Craft System. To build something, you need to accomplish a number of Milestones, and have a Path that justify it. No building of smaller things to get to bigger things. No points to keep track of. Hell, if you spend time obtaining a logical material, that can count towards the project without even rolling.
      • Hypothetical Path of Exalts parallel: Amilar Harken, who has the Path of "Twilight Exalt", wants to build a sword. This is an entirely mortal weapon, so would probably only require three or so Milestones. Drafting plans with a Close Combat + Intellect roll would be one Milestone, the Night Caste using their contacts to get some quality iron (Or Chiaroscuro Glass, if you're feeling exotic) would be another Milestone, and a scene of working in his forge would count as another Milestone. Bing bang boom, he made a sword. For something like a Daiklave, he'd need more Milestones, and would need to work harder to get more exotic ingredients.
      • One could probably also use this system for an Occult-based project for the purposes of replicating Sorcerous Workings in the hypothetical Path of Exalts.
    • The Attributes are a bit different. They're organized by Arena and Approach.
      • The Arenas are basically the kinds of actions: Physical, Social, and Mental.
      • Approach represents the methodology. You have Force, Finesse, and Resilience, demonstrating whether you power through a challenge, weave around a challenge, or outlast a challenge.
      • You combine these into your Attributes.
        • Physical: Might (Force), Dexterity (Finesse), and Stamina (Resilience)
        • Social: Presence (Force), Manipulation (Finesse), and Composure (Resilience)
        • Mental: Intellect (Force), Cunning (Finesse), and Resolve (Resilience)
    • Now this one takes a bit of getting used to. If you're used to Storyteller, Storypath plays a bit looser with usual Ability+Attribute combinations.
      • Example, instead of using a Craft skill, you roll with the Skill that's associated with the thing you're making. So repairing a wagon would use the Pilot skill, while recognizing the martial arts style your foe is using would use the Close Combat Skill with a Mental Quality.
      • This throws a lot of people: There's no flat Perception Skill in most Storypath games. Most of them use Mental checks with the most relevant skill. Example, it may be Empathy to notice that the person you're talking to is acting too calm, and is palming a knife to stab you. It would be a Survival check to realize that it's too quiet, and a twig just snapped ominously.
    • The dice pools and difficulties are reined in slightly. Difficulty rarely goes above 5, and increasing dice pools isn't done through countless effects. It's usually done by spending a resource called Momentum, which I'll describe down the list.
      • Difficulties can be adjusted through Complications. Complications to a roll are generally a sort of "Yes, but-" to add to checks. For instance, you're climbing a fence, and the fence has spikes and blades along the top. Climbing the fence itself is an Athletics check, Difficulty 1. However, the spikes are a 2-rank Complication, and if you don't buy that off with extra successes, you still clear the fence, but may take an Injury, or leave behind a scrap of your clothing that a tracker may find. So you need one success to climb the fence, but three to climb and evade the blades on top.
      • While Storypath doesn't use Dice Adders as much as Storyteller, it does use bonus successes, called Enhancement. Enhancement generally only applies if you roll a success on the skill roll, so botches are still very much a risk, but they also represent things like having better equipment.
    • Oh! This is big. Stunts aren't things you describe beforehand, they're little bonuses to succeed better after you've already succeeded. You spend threshold successes on them.
      • An example I saw from Scion. Imagine you're climbing the bladed fence, and manage to clear it and buy off the Complication. You have some bonus thresholds, and with the Storyguide (GM for Storypath) you agree that you can spend your last two successes to break the spikes in a way that you remove the Complication in your wake. Thus, your friends can scamper after you without worrying about the spikes.
    • Scale! Scale is a great mechanic. Scale is for comparing two things that are on vastly different levels. Two humans having a footrace would be done by comparing Athletics skill checks, but if one of the racers is a Sorcerer on a Stormwind Rider, then the Stormwind would have Scale over the humans. Scale is how you would go "Oh that's not even FAIR"
      • Scale is also how you would represent super huge opponents, such as giant monsters or Warstriders. It would probably also be ways for Exalts to pump up their power relative to baseline humans.
    • And one of my favorite mechanics: Momentum. Momentum is a communal resource that can be spent for bonuses. Most often, THIS is how you add bonus dice to your rolls. It's generally generated by failing rolls, or when injuries and other negative Conditions inconvenience you.

However I'm pretty sure the devs have said that Exalted Essence is not a Storypath hack for Exalted. Which NGL, a little disappointed at, but hey, Neall's earned my trust. Cool dude.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Kind of my feelings on some stuff with Scion:

I like Composure as an Attribute, but I think that Resolve was not a good on-its-own Attribute in CofD, and don't htink it is in Exalted either. Having both always felt like forced symmetry in a way I don't like. I'd rather keep Composure (It's good to hang Charms on and it can have some good Ability combos) but keep Perception myself. I think the latter is only a bad Attribute if you think you have to force a 3x3 arena-focus thing.

Scale I think works better when there's like, more things at different scales to compare. Exalted has a thing where Exalts are in general, kind of the same (human-sized-shaped-things) and that you are not oftne comparing non-human-scaled-things with one-another in a way that you do with Scion I feel. Basically Exalted 3e I find went just a different route and falttened things. If you're above a certain size, you're Legendary Sized. If you're below a certain size, you're a Tiny Creature. I'd argue something scale-like is there for size, but it's just like....not as big a scale. And for humand-sized stuff that's not important, it's just a trivial opponent. It basically doesn't right now assume the wriggle room that Scion or TC wanted, isntead going for the more grounded/flatter curve. Something ot keep in mind when I see it sold for Exalted. The setting kind of has to assume it needs it, and I think it works better for something like 2e's take of the setting than 3e's generally flatter one.

I think some Scale-like stuff culd have existed in some areas like speed and a clearer size mechanic, but I think there are aspects with it that didn't fit with 3e's design goals. One of them being the whole "Scale of 3+ more, you win" stuff. I think 3e in general tried to by design avoid the whole "Things below a certain scale are irrelevant bugs" thing. This is again, why you don't have real extra slike before, and trivial opponents are entirely narrative rather than some thing that is measured by IC power.

And stuff.
      My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

This is incredible news. Sign me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
          However I'm pretty sure the devs have said that Exalted Essence is not a Storypath hack for Exalted.
          Was that on the Discord?

I play...
          Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
          Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
            [*]The Path system is pretty solid.
            Hmmm... I think I'd want to see these in more detail. That sounds like it could be good, or could be a popular part of modern games design that I don't like (not saying it's bad, just not my cup of tea).

The Crafting system in Scion... Drafting plans with a Close Combat + Intellect roll would be one Milestone, the Night Caste using their contacts to get some quality iron (Or Chiaroscuro Glass, if you're feeling exotic) would be another Milestone, and a scene of working in his forge would count as another Milestone. Bing bang boom, he made a sword. For something like a Daiklave, he'd need more Milestones, and would need to work harder to get more exotic ingredients.
            This does sound a bit better, as long as people can't b*llshit easy ones. We've often said how it's a pity that the Exalted system doesn't really go into the quests for the exotic materials, which ought to be the most interesting part of forging magical weapons.

[*]The Attributes are a bit different. They're organized by Arena and Approach.
            These remind me of NWoD. It's kind of the wrong lesson. Storyteller has its issues, but I don't think the Attributes chosen are a big issue. You can try to make them more logical and cross-equivalent (like giving each a Power, Finesse, Defence), but humans aren't really like that. Composure and Resolve don't immediately explain themselves to me clearly in genre-terms compared to Appearance (which, for a lot of games, ought to just be a Merit or something, but I could see Holden's point that it's much easier to design genre-appropriate Appearance charms for Lunars and Alchemicals than Composure charms).

Not saying it doesn't work for Scion (haven't played it). But for a simpler Exalted, it'd be better to just have less Attributes/Abilities than different ones. Which is the only thing Vance has given away about the system really.

[*]Example, instead of using a Craft skill, you roll with the Skill that's associated with the thing you're making. So repairing a wagon would use the Pilot skill, while recognizing the martial arts style your foe is using would use the Close Combat Skill with a Mental Quality.
            I like that. Not sure that you'd want to do that with Exalted (I mean, there definitely shouldn't be tons of different Craft skills!), but you could. I guess you could also easily have Craft powers (charms, or whatever) that aren't connected to the abilities, so your super-crafty Exalt applies their craft powers to their mediocre Melee skill, Sail skill, Survival skill, or whatever.

[*]This throws a lot of people: There's no flat Perception Skill in most Storypath games. Most of them use Mental checks with the most relevant skill. Example, it may be Empathy to notice that the person you're talking to is acting too calm, and is palming a knife to stab you. It would be a Survival check to realize that it's too quiet, and a twig just snapped ominously.
            I like that too. Means you get people rolling less-used skills more often. Survival, Larceny (for noticing thugs), etc.

The dice pools and difficulties are reined in slightly. Difficulty rarely goes above 5, and increasing dice pools isn't done through countless effects.
            That'd make running Exalted a bit quicker.

I will say though, honestly, the dice pools aren't really the reason why Exalted is so complex. I don't love the massive dice pools, it does slow things down, but the reasons Exalted is hard to run sometimes isn't the core mechanic of Attribute+Ability, it's having 15-50 charms each and the movement rules and remembering motes/mote regen/anima/overwhelming penalties/initiative/health levels/wound penalties/dice bonuses/re-rolls/doubles/dice caps*/willpower.

*It makes me really sad how the Lunar writers tried to make turning into animals cool and simple and easy and balanced, but accidentally made it mind-bogglingly confusing for half my players due to the way the dice caps work. My players are bad enough at dice caps anyway, but I have to remind them everytime they shapechange. I think some are probably better at it than others, but the ones who are better shapechange less.

That's the stuff that needs simplifying. I've no big issue if they reduce 34 Attributes/Abilities to 10, but reducing it to 25 would be fine, it's all the other stuff

I play...
            Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

I would be very interested. It would be an interesting way to do a "soft relaunch" of the system, given that it's been a long time coming with various corebooks, and so a way to keep up attention on the game.

Also would be good to have tools to build every splat ever on a rough framework other than the "assign dice pools as you like" from the Quick Characters section. Particularly as one of my players may be about to taint their Essence by trying to purify a Shadowlands demesne by routing the leylines through themselves...

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
              Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

According to devs on Discord it won't use Storypath, but does use the same dice dice basics as 3e. Attribute+ability, tn7, double 10s.
                Akin to Fate Accelerated to Fate Core.
                Also Getimians will have 4 castes.

Comment

Originally posted by imadaman View Post
                  According to devs on Discord it won't use Storypath, but does use the same dice dice basics as 3e. Attribute+ability, tn7, double 10s.
                  Also Getimians will have 4 castes.
                  Thanks for the update.
                  Attribute+ability, tn7, double 10s.
                  I don't love this, and I don't hate it.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Fate Accelerated.

I actually have Discord, I use it for my Blood Bowl League, how do you get onto the Exalted discord?
                  Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 12-07-2019, 09:18 AM.

I play...

Comment

Exalted Discord: https://discord.gg/6WyJHPU

I express my opinions, but YSMV; Your Stories May Vary.

Formerly known as wyrmpuff

Comment

What I would like to know, above all else, is what the combat is gonna be like. See, I love pretty much everything about 3rd. I think the lore is better, I think the charms are better, I adore how they make the rule for Supernal skills and then immediately realise how that means that EVERY single skill had to be made a viable pick - and then they did that! Character creation is cooler, essence increase is better, and I have flat-out stolen intimacies for character creation sessions in other systems.

But...!

I hate the combat system. With fiery passion. I worked and slaved away on making that system fun. And I think I cracked the code... Once! We had ONE fun combat. It involved a brotherhood of dragonbloods, a solar ghost, and the players. I had stated the entire brotherhood and the ghost. And once the combat was over, they were all useless. So to make a single combat work, I had to put hours and hours of prep in for ONE fight. Prep I did not even find fun - and I normally enjoy my GM prep. I find it relaxing.

I have many, many, many(!) more grievances for the combat, but this sorta turned into an unintentional rant... My point is, the combat being so shit is, sadly, a dealbreaker for me. So I have pretty much left Exalted. And it especially hurts when the rest is, as I said, saliva inducing awesome.

So if this streamlined system fixes the combat? I am in! Though, I fear it’ll still be using that dreaded initiativ system...
                      Last edited by Jang; 12-07-2019, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I agree with Blaque about Perception as an attribute. Sure, Appearance -> Composure, fine. Wits -> Resolve... eh. Charisma -> Presence, I only have trouble with this because I started in Storyteller games with 2nd Ed Vampire, which means when someone says Presence, I think supernatural vampire powers, not average person. But Perception? Come on, it was probably the biggest change in the RPG world at the time*.

*Storyteller is the first system I know of where Perception was an Attribute, as opposed to appended to some mental stat as a side benefit.

"At the risk of sounding like a murder hobo"

Attributed to Nyrufa.

Comment

I was initially weirded out, becuase my gut reaction was to think it was an "Exalted 3.5", but if it's something more of an "Exalted Lite", I'm game.

My main interest is to get a sneak peek at Sidereals, Getimians and Dream-souled ahead of schedule. If we are going to get a sneak peek at them, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Patricl_Gleason View Post
                            I was initially weirded out, becuase my gut reaction was to think it was an "Exalted 3.5", but if it's something more of an "Exalted Lite", I'm game.

My main interest is to get a sneak peek at Sidereals, Getimians and Dream-souled ahead of schedule. If we are going to get a sneak peek at them, that is.
                            No Dream-souled or other optional ones from Exigent Appendix, but should have Sids, Gets, Lims, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                              I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Fate Accelerated.
                              Fate Accelerated is the simplified version of the Fate Core system. It keeps Fate's Aspects intact, replaces the Skill list with a tight list of Approaches, and uses Fate's Stunt system to carry the load of the Core's slightly more complex powers and exceptions. Its language and design are geared toward younger players, and I think it'd be appropriate for playing, say, Harry Potter.

If you're also not familiar with Fate Core, it's a setting-agnostic generic system with an emphasis on narrative back-and-forth and fail-forward mechanics, appropriate for pulpy adventures. I've used it to run a less-combat-focused game in the Mass Effect setting, and it worked well.

Hey, check out my first original RPG, Post-Mortem, here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/307131/PostMortem

Or read my Exalted novella The Silence of Our Ancestors here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...looded-Novella

Comment

Originally posted by Jang View Post
                                I had stated the entire brotherhood and the ghost. And once the combat was over, they were all useless.
                                Why? NPC character sheets are a renewable resource and you can acheve a fair bit of variance just by changing the weapon/armour options.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                                Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Working...
                                X