Exalted: Essence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pram View Post

I just fine that they should give more details.

Right now, unless it's a very interesting add-on or change on the combat system, my level of hype won't budge that much.
    Given that it's just an announcement, and they haven't even gotten past the initial system design (Per Monica, it's in "alpha"), I doubt we're getting any details for the time being. Because they don't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post

Given that it's just an announcement, and they haven't even gotten past the initial system design (Per Monica, it's in "alpha"), I doubt we're getting any details for the time being. Because they don't exist.

Welp... playing the waiting game again. That's what I'm used too

Comment

Right now, unless it's a very interesting add-on or change on the combat system, my level of hype won't budge that much.
        You know, the key thing to understand about a product such as this is that not everybody is its audience. And there's nothing... noteworthy, at all, about not being part of its audience.

Some people will do far better with the game as it is, some will find this the actual means of getting into it at all.

Heh, back in the day I think the New World of Darkness managed to put out something like three books like this in the core line alone.

Anyway, I don't think it's necessary for anybody who is not part of the intended audience to be hostile about the thing.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

I just fine that they should give more details.

I think it definitely will have a different (simpler) combat system. How different it'll be I have no idea of course.

Not to say you have to be enthusiastic. Some of my players would love a simpler system. If you don't, that's fine.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
            Why? NPC character sheets are a renewable resource and you can acheve a fair bit of variance just by changing the weapon/armour options.
            I disagree. For me, I needed to have a pretty intuitive grasp their charms to run things smoothly; anything else would ruin the pace because of book diving. Reusing their stats with only minor tweaks felt incredibly same-y, as the greatest variance came from their charms.

I should also say, this wasn’t the only or necessarily biggest grievance I had. It was just what tipped the scales for me, and it kind of formed the beginning of the end for my time in 3rd ed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

Don't forget Goth Lunars.
              Lunars who climb on rocks.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jang View Post
                I disagree. For me, I needed to have a pretty intuitive grasp their charms to run things smoothly; anything else would ruin the pace because of book diving. Reusing their stats with only minor tweaks felt incredibly same-y, as the greatest variance came from their charms.
                There's things I could pick at here but you've already made up your mind.
                Originally posted by Jang
                I should also say, this wasn’t the only or necessarily biggest grievance I had. It was just what tipped the scales for me, and it kind of formed the beginning of the end for my time in 3rd ed.
                If you were doing that for any game I'd advise against it.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                  Lunars who climb on rocks.
                  I thought Goth Lunars were the ones that sacked Rome. Also, let's not forget the Goth Abyssals. Wait, what?

"At the risk of sounding like a murder hobo"

Attributed to Nyrufa.

Comment

Well yeah, Goths make perfect sense for Lunars, Lunars love invading corrupt empires, sacking their cities, freeing slaves, and causing carnage.
                    Maybe not so much the having high-ranking positions within the Empire and converting to a version of that Empire's religion.
                    Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 12-08-2019, 01:24 PM.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

Given that my group just decided to place Exalted 3rd on the "Beloved but Unplayable" shelf after realizing that we spent more time fretting over rules than actually playing, even after a few years of trying to wrap our heads around the systems, this is hopeful news for me.

Comment

There's things I could pick at here but you've already made up your mind.
                        I realise tone over text is incredibly hard to convey. That doubles when said text is placed in the context of being on an Internet forum. So I have to request that you believe me when I say I ask this question in good faith and out of genuine confusion:

What was the point of that comment?

If you were doing that for any game I'd advise against it.
                        Doing what?
                        Last edited by Jang; 12-08-2019, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                          This does sound a bit better, as long as people can't b*llshit easy ones. We've often said how it's a pity that the Exalted system doesn't really go into the quests for the exotic materials, which ought to be the most interesting part of forging magical weapons.
                          The most interesting part should be the one that has the least to do with the actual crafters?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

The most interesting part should be the one that has the least to do with the actual crafters?
                            The bit that actually involves the rest of the party and engaging with the game world?

Yes.

The bit where the crafter begs for downtime to spend twenty minutes rolling by themselves as they consult five pages of Craft Charms (FRONT AND BACK) is the least interesting part. And the contrivance to try to shoehorn in some basic objectives is the second least interesting part.

(That said, I'd quite like people to BS the easy objectives so we can get on with the game.)

I mean, if you're an Athletics Supernal who needs to leap a ten-foot gap over a bottomless chasm lest you fall to certain doom... then the forboding journey to that chasm and the reward that awaits on the other side are probably both more interesting than saying "I activate Monkey Leap Technique".
                            Last edited by JohnDoe244; 12-08-2019, 06:23 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jang View Post

I realise tone over text is incredibly hard to convey. That doubles when said text is placed in the context of being on an Internet forum. So I have to request that you believe me when I say I ask this question in good faith and out of genuine confusion:

What was the point of that comment?

Doing what?
                              Scratch building NPCs and discarding them because they've been used. That's behaviour I associate with myself when my OCD is being challenging. I'm not saying you have a mental illness just that you appear to be approaching this game (and possibly others) in a way which practically guarantees diminished returns and is inviting some serious burnout.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                              Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Scratch building NPCs and discarding them because they've been used. That's behaviour I associate with myself when my OCD is being challenging. I'm not saying you have a mental illness just that you appear to be approaching this game (and possibly others) in a way which practically guarantees diminished returns and is inviting some serious burnout.

That comes across way more harsh (and kinda passive-aggressive) than I think it's meant to? I get the feeling that you're trying to say "Hey, that is something that, when I do it, doesn't work for me (and is usually unhelpful for my OCD) why don't you try this way instead?"

Everyone approaches RPG's differently. Some people don't like just reusing stat blocks of NPC's for encounters, or find it hard to just migrate one thing to another. If they want it be a "soldier" unit rather than "ghost" unit, it may take more work for them. Finding 3e hard to get into because of this is....completely understandable! I really hope that Exalted: Essence is the right fit then!

Comment

Working...
                                X