Exalted: Essence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
    I forget if Getimians are supposed to have Castes or Aspects, but you could make a case for either. They chose how they changed the worlds-that-never-were, so their Castes could arise from their choices.
    That is precisely the case. Getimians have Castes, which are attributed based on their approach to changing the world.

Spring
    The Vernals are heroic dreamers, warrior poets, and guardians. They helped make their world beautiful — and now Creation will benefit from their bold vision.

Summer
    The Estivals are conquerors, mad prophets, and iconoclasts who upend the old orders. They come from worlds of upheaval, ready to shatter the old ways of Creation.

Autumn
    The Autumnals are inspirational war-leaders, healers, and saviors. They come from worlds redeemed by their sacrifices; now they will redeem Creation, as well.

Winter
    The Hibernals are magicians, demiurges, and powerbrokers who transform society. They come from worlds made orderly and grand, with the strength of will to make whole what Creation has set asunder.

Comment

• Originally posted by el pinko grande View Post

I know I'm dipping a bit far back in the conversation, but I have to say, this comment killed my enthusiasm for Exalted Essence stone dead. I do think that's injurious to the setting. Isn't one of the central themes of Exalted that Creation is going to shit precisely because the Solars have been missing?
      No. The Scarlet Empress explicitly made things better for a while, and things went to shit because of the Great Contagion happening at the worst possible time. The central theme is "things can go to shit if people in charge forget their humanity and succumb to hubris."

And to all of you so upset that Solars only have a surmountable advantage: what about those of us who, I dunno, like to play Exalted other than Solars and would like to play them in a mixed game with Solars? Wouldn't being constantly upstaged by the guys with a sun disc be kind of unfun for us, for some strange 2E idea of "Solaroids over all" that doesn't even make sense in the backstory, given the Usurpation happened?

Comment

• Originally posted by Leliel View Post

No. The Scarlet Empress explicitly made things better for a while, and things went to shit because of the Great Contagion happening at the worst possible time. The central theme is "things can go to shit if people in charge forget their humanity and succumb to hubris."
        The Empress was after the Contagion. Also, her efforts even then were blind in application; Scavenger Sons (which is still a relevant source for 3e) noted that the act of using the Imperial Manse was impersonal and often inflicted massive amounts of damage on locations far away from the Blessed Isle, such that the Scavenger Lands didn't feel particularly grateful for being "saved", and justifiably so. It's a hell of a thing when you start out your rule with hubris and just build from there.

Solars have a legacy of wonders built across Creation - sometimes including portions of Creation - and those things aren't practically kept up by others' efforts. So, on some level, the Solars are required to have setting bits not go to shit, but that's the genre-breaking stuff that fits on top of the basic swords and sorcery world. If you want the flying machines and automatons to last for more than a few more centuries at best, and you want to restore them to what they were before they began to slide into ruin, then yes, Solars are quite necessary. If you prefer a swords and sandals experience, then they are not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monica
          I think I'll just go ahead and confirm that the only difference between Withering and decisive is the way they interact with damage (and some Charms)

I'm sure you can guess that decisive is the way you do health levels of damage
          That's not even a spoiler that's just 3e rules lol

You know how default withering attacks damage intitative? It's like that still, but using a slightly different resource

I play...
          Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
          Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

• If withering attacks damage/steal a different resource than Initiative, I don't have a clue what that might be.

Obviously not Health, and likely not motes or Willpower.

Unless it is Motes, and Motes work VERY differently from before.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
              If withering attacks damage/steal a different resource than Initiative, I don't have a clue what that might be.

Obviously not Health, and likely not motes or Willpower.

Unless it is Motes, and Motes work VERY differently from before.
              From what the devs are saying it's a rework of initiative, not a change from initiative to a completely different resource :

Originally posted by Monica
              Don't assume it's gone it just looks different
              We made it wear a different hat and use smaller numbers lol
              So maybe now it's called momentum/advantage/lead or something like that, and maybe now it swings between 0 & 20 instead of between -30 & 70. That sort of stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epitome View Post

From what the devs are saying it's a rework of initiative, not a change from initiative to a completely different resource :

So maybe now it's called momentum/advantage/lead or something like that, and maybe now it swings between 0 & 20 instead of between -30 & 70. That sort of stuff.
                They could call it Bravery

Comment

• I think they have decoupled initiative you get from attacks from turn order. So it'll have a different name.

I play...
                  Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                    I think they have decoupled initiative you get from attacks from turn order. So it'll have a different name.
                    Oh so the moment you act isn't tied to your damage pool ? Not necessarily a bad choice. I'm curious to see to what extent Essence combat system can be used instead of the Exalted 3e core combat system.

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

• That's just a guess. Could be wrong.

I play...

Comment

• My ideal would be basically Initiative, affecting turn order and all, but with smaller numbers and smaller swings, and with the relative importance of Damage and Accuracy rebalanced.

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
                          My ideal would be basically Initiative, affecting turn order and all, but with smaller numbers and smaller swings, and with the relative importance of Damage and Accuracy rebalanced.
                          What I still can't figure my head around is the fact that, except with specific Charms, there is 0 account for the defensive ability of the party receiving a Decisive blow on turn 1, except solely the ability to not get hit by the attack. I don't know if it's good or bad, but I really feel like it's sort of dissonant with everything else in the system.

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
                            My ideal would be basically Initiative, affecting turn order and all, but with smaller numbers and smaller swings, and with the relative importance of Damage and Accuracy rebalanced.
                            So I should say, someone said "I think they've decoupled turn order from initiative, and also reduced the numbers for Withering" and Monica said "you're half right, I'm not saying which half."

So maybe it's that.

I actually find very low numbers with Withering dull, but I guess big numbers can be very swingy. I'm fine with them reducing damage if they also reduce soak from armour/etc, so you don't get one PC with soak 2 and another with soak 15, and then they're both hit with a 13-damage dice attack, which is hugely different.

I play...

Comment

• So in Essence attributes are being condensed. Monica said "Dexterity is not a god stat. Or even a thing."

Also, we will not see Getimians' attributes in Essence. I assume this is because the attributes are so different.

Neall said "Monica has come up with a truly elegant way to represent Attribute Exalted."

So here's a couple of radical theories:
                              A)There's only 3-5 attributes.*
                              B)Attribute Exalted are radically different. But they are not ability exalts.**

*(I'd suggest 3-6, but if there was 6 I think you'd still do Attribute Exalted the same way as usual, just reduced a bit. Ie Full Moons choose 2 favoured attributes, 1 of which must be Brawn or Agility. Jade Castes choose 2 favoured attributes, one of which must be Brawn or Charisma. Winter Caste choose 2 favoured attributes, 1 of which must be Manipulation or Cunning. Etc. And I don't really see the point of reducing attributes to 7 or 8.)

**So my first thought was they were just all Ability exalts now. You know, Full Moons get Athletics, Brawl, Dodge, Resistance, Survival. But I don't think it is that, simply because I would not really describe that as truly elegant! There'd be a lot of debate over what abilities to give them.

So, I think in some ways it's easy to do Attribute-based stuff. Excellencies are easy (you get less but they apply to attributes rather than abilities). Character gen is easy, giving them more dots of attributes and less abilities (not what 3rd ed did with Lunars, but what previous eds did). Their own unique charms are fine, because you just put them in attribute trees.
                              The hard bit is buying Universal charms (and this would apply even if the attributes were the same). What stat do you need to buy that Survival charm that is about resisting environmental damage? Stamina. But then that other Survival charm for making friends with animals isn't Stamina. Keywords? Seems awkward.
                              You could of course have every single charm have prerequisites like "Resistance 3/Stamina 3". Then it's mostly just awkward in terms of book layout. (With a lot less charm trees, it's not really so awkward that half the Survival charms are Stamina and the other are Wits or whatever.)

Here's something else: Does Essence have favoured charms at all? If not, how does it Dawnify your Dawn? Because if it instead gives you bonus abilities or charms at character gen, say, then it'd be easy to instead say "Full Moons get +1 to their Physical Attribute" or some such. Though that might apply better to Lunars than Alchemicals, Liminals, etc.

Discuss!
                              Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 05-17-2020, 06:37 AM.

I play...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                                I actually find very low numbers with Withering dull, but I guess big numbers can be very swingy. I'm fine with them reducing damage if they also reduce soak from armour/etc, so you don't get one PC with soak 2 and another with soak 15, and then they're both hit with a 13-damage dice attack, which is hugely different.
                                If withering damage still affects Initiative, but the associated numbers are reduced, it obviously follows that the significance of those numbers would increase to match. What would even be the point of changing one thing and then not dealing with any of the knock-on effects?

Comment

Working...
                                X