No announcement yet.

Exalted: Essence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also I think excellencies are only one mote now, although the mote math has been redone so motes mean more, I think that dropping from 1 to 0 might not be as crazy a savings as it would be in Ex3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

I think I heard that in combat, you can only activate one Charm per step, and you gotta declare your Excellency in Step 1. So if you want to use ANOTHER Charm in that step, you can't stack your Excellency on top of it. So you won't be stacking your Excellency on top of literally everything.

However I don't believe that this applies OUT of combat, so Solars will have their Excellencies.
      Yeah, I wasn't thinking in terms of combat tactics so much as just the extravagance of being able to commit freely to excellence in all your invested Abilities without any restraint except the attention it gets. The shift from 1m to 0m is a bigger shift than from 2m to 1m, especially when mote pools are greatly reduced in Essence.

Then again, I also don't know how mote economy and regeneration works yet. For all I know it might not even be tracked outside combat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post

Yeah, I wasn't thinking in terms of combat tactics so much as just the extravagance of being able to commit freely to excellence in all your invested Abilities without any restraint except the attention it gets. The shift from 1m to 0m is a bigger shift than from 2m to 1m, especially when mote pools are greatly reduced in Essence.

Then again, I also don't know how mote economy and regeneration works yet. For all I know it might not even be tracked outside combat.
        According to the discord: Excellencies double ability scores, exalted have pools of 5m at essence 1, and I believe the cap was stated to be 15 at essence five (+2 at 2/4, +3 at 3/5), at essence 1 we saw a 1m/round regeneration in combat, and it was mentioned to have a (X)m/hour regen with full regen on rest. However all of this is subject to change with testing and feedback so any of this might be altered by second draft.
        Last edited by Darkfoxdev; 06-17-2020, 02:11 AM.

Comment

• I tried watching the playtests, but the format (and the length) just isn't for me. I'll have to stick to Kyman and whoever's notes, I guess.

Comment

• An interesting point; apparently, as Excellencies are applied in Step 1, they don't apply to defence (Step 2). So you need to buy Defensive charms for that, you can't boost your defence with the excellency.

I play...
            Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
            Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

• Makes sense to me, we no longer have dodge as an ability and thus doesn't seem to be a difference between parry and evasion. I think anyway. Could be wrong

Comment

• Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post
                Makes sense to me, we no longer have dodge as an ability and thus doesn't seem to be a difference between parry and evasion. I think anyway. Could be wrong
                Oh yeah, there isn't a Dodge Ability.

I guess defending yourself from close range attacks is done with Close Combat, and defending yourself from ranged attacks is done with Ranged Combat.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Hmmm, I think it'd make more sense to defend yourself against Ranged attacks using Awareness, tbh.

Dodging could be represented by Physique I guess. I would personally use Awareness though. Can't dodge if you don't know you're being attacked. Also, Awareness in ExEss doesn't have its prime combat use ie Initiative.

I play...
                  Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

• I mean we don't know HOW defense is calculated in ExEss. It might be like... Averaging Resilience and some Ability? Awareness? I doubt that there'll be multiple Defenses, as the playtest with more combat didn't seem to use different defenses when the target was being grappled versus when it was being sniped.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Seems interesting for the moment. Do you think most Charms are portable from Ex 3 Core to ExEss ? I like all the "fluffy" Charms in Ex 3 Core (Solars detect lie in Investigation, DB know when they are followed in Larceny I think, etc ...). Not talking about dice tricks Charms and other obviously incompatible Charms.

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

• Hm, if Charms are simpler in ExEss then it'll probably be easy enough to patch in some basic Charms to fill any gaps that the ExEss charms don't fill.

Like, say, making a Charm for Solars that combines Truth-Discerning Technique and maybe mixing in... Shit, what's that Investigation Solar Charm that goes Ding when there's stuff? As a GM that was the most useful charm my PCs got.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Hm, if Charms are simpler in ExEss then it'll probably be easy enough to patch in some basic Charms to fill any gaps that the ExEss charms don't fill.

Like, say, making a Charm for Solars that combines Truth-Discerning Technique and maybe mixing in... Shit, what's that Investigation Solar Charm that goes Ding when there's stuff? As a GM that was the most useful charm my PCs got.
                          You'd combine them in one single Charms ? Are ExEss Charms very broad so you would combine different effects into one Charm ?

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

I mean we don't know HOW defense is calculated in ExEss. It might be like... Averaging Resilience and some Ability? Awareness? I doubt that there'll be multiple Defenses, as the playtest with more combat didn't seem to use different defenses when the target was being grappled versus when it was being sniped.
                            Did anyone catch whether attacks still involved seperate attack and damage rolls? Weapons seem to have an accuracy and damage, but that may not all be rolled.

I play...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post

You'd combine them in one single Charms ? Are ExEss Charms very broad so you would combine different effects into one Charm ?
                              That they are. Charm Trees in Essence will be 3 charms deep at most. They are very much taking the core of many charms into a single one. This becomes even more apparent when you take Modes in account. I don't think it's very much combining charms with different effects but you know how in Ex3 you have long charm trees to effects a single action, making what you do with better and better as you buy more charms. Yeah because of the shrinkage those are the ones that will be compiled.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

Did anyone catch whether attacks still involved seperate attack and damage rolls? Weapons seem to have an accuracy and damage, but that may not all be rolled.

I think there's only an attack roll. Damage is calculated via threshold successes plus other things iirc. And then just auto-applied, not rolled.

Comment

Working...
                                X