Exalted: Essence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Hmmm, I think it'd make more sense to defend yourself against Ranged attacks using Awareness, tbh.

Dodging could be represented by Physique I guess. I would personally use Awareness though. Can't dodge if you don't know you're being attacked. Also, Awareness in ExEss doesn't have its prime combat use ie Initiative.
    Anticipating where and how a weapon will strike you is safer than seeing it : if you see it, well that's probably the last thing you will ever see.
    Anticipating where and how a weapon will strike is dependent on your understanding of the weapon. An Archer is the best equipped to guess where an arrow will land (factoring in the ballistic curve, the wind etc ...) and whether stepping aside will not actually place himself in the path of the arrow. And someone without any notion of what a Boomerang is will probably watch it right until the moment he eats it.
    It even more true for melee weapons. As a Kendo practioner, I can defend a shinai strike with a barely visible move, but against a Naginata, I am toast. And not just because of the reach, it would probably be the same against nunchuks but there I have no experience.
    Sorry if I appear too assertive but I just cannot I understand the concept of Dodge as an ability ...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

Did anyone catch whether attacks still involved seperate attack and damage rolls? Weapons seem to have an accuracy and damage, but that may not all be rolled.
      Withering attacks seem to only build Power based on threshold successes. Decisives seem to ahve bifurcated rolls still, though.

And stuff.
      My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• The Brawl, Martial Arts, and Melee Abilities do not exist as such, along with Archery and Thrown. There's just Close Combat and Ranged Combat.

Furthermore, all Exalted share a common body of Charms, with few splat-unique/exclusive Charms, and Charm trees are meant to be short.

So, there is no Solar Brawl Tree or Solar Melee Tree, as such.

Instead, there are likely Close Combat Charms exclusively for fighting with any weapon, Charms for fighting without any weapons, and Charms which can be used with or without weapons.

Charms evoking Martial Arts Styles would generally be of the third category, but since there might be no real distinction between Melee and Martial Arts anymore, there might be weapon-dependent sets of Charms.

Like, a universal set of Ranged Combat Charms for firewands and flamepieces could ignore the old divisions between Solar/Terrestrial Archery and Righteous Devil Style.

A universal set of bareknuckle punching Charms could ignore the old divisions between Solar Brawl and any theoretical Boxing Style.

Advanced grappling styles like Mantis might even grow out of basic, universal grappling Charms.

I might not need to design an entire 12-Charm Martial Arts Style around two-handed hammers if I could instead get away with a three-deep set of Close Combat Charms that work exclusively with two-handed hammers and axes, and which does nothing but evoke the "spin to win" concept I've chased off-and-on for years.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Essence is on to the second draft stage now.

I play...
          Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
          Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

• Since all Exalted are going to share the same basic Close Combat Charms for punching and grappling, might we see a second attempt at "( ) Hero Style"?

A Style like Falcon Style Martial Arts would remain distinct from "Brawl" Charms because of armor-restrictions that "Brawl" Charms would not have, but "Brawl" Charms could gain their own Form Charm that (mostly) reject weaponry while allowing for the heaviest of armor.

Such a Form Charm could be a Boxing Style Form, as Exalted Brawl Charms have traditionally evoked Western boxing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
              Since all Exalted are going to share the same basic Close Combat Charms for punching and grappling, might we see a second attempt at "( ) Hero Style"?

A Style like Falcon Style Martial Arts would remain distinct from "Brawl" Charms because of armor-restrictions that "Brawl" Charms would not have, but "Brawl" Charms could gain their own Form Charm that (mostly) reject weaponry while allowing for the heaviest of armor.

Such a Form Charm could be a Boxing Style Form, as Exalted Brawl Charms have traditionally evoked Western boxing.
              Exalts will probably have unique Close Combat Charms. Whether those are shareable ala 2e Heor styles I'm pretty skeptical of. I kind of see things like Solars having Heaven Thunder Hammer, while DBs get the waterbending grappling, and those just being unique-to-that-splat takes.

And stuff.

Comment

• Is there something that spawned that thought? It doesn't seem like a very likely thing to me in absence of some comment from the team.

Unarmed combat Charms will still have modes to capture different feels without Hero Styles. We're not going to need Hero Styles to let Solars punch/grapple Behemoths without penalty, Lunars get advantages from animal limbs, DBs to smack you with an elemental bonus, etc. There's already design space for that.

It also doesn't feel like it fits any of Essence's stated goals to have the Hero Styles specifically for other Exalted to learn a different Exalted type's Hero Style. Either you're adding a possible ten Styles that are all extremely close in theme and mechanics, or you're adding one Style that's basically just a second set of universal unarmed Charms but you can buy other people's modes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                  Is there something that spawned that thought? It doesn't seem like a very likely thing to me in absence of some comment from the team.

Unarmed combat Charms will still have modes to capture different feels without Hero Styles. We're not going to need Hero Styles to let Solars punch/grapple Behemoths without penalty, Lunars get advantages from animal limbs, DBs to smack you with an elemental bonus, etc. There's already design space for that.

It also doesn't feel like it fits any of Essence's stated goals to have the Hero Styles specifically for other Exalted to learn a different Exalted type's Hero Style. Either you're adding a possible ten Styles that are all extremely close in theme and mechanics, or you're adding one Style that's basically just a second set of universal unarmed Charms but you can buy other people's modes.
                  I woudl say it's almost antithetical to the idea of Hero styles. There's no cross-Exalt Charmshare has been soemthing we learned pretty early. ANd Hero Style Charms sort of are that, since rathr than an actual universla fihgting style it's "I'm a Lunar wanting to fight like a Solar" which feels just...against the gaols fo ahving Modes and still segragated non-universal Charms.

And stuff.

Comment

• There was another Essence stream a few hours ago. I missed it, but I'll try to watch it after I get up and might be able to give some notes on things. Unless someone beats me to it.

Comment

• There were some new tidbits I gleaned here and there. The big one, IMO, would be Projects as a mechanic. Namely, it seems like things like Crafting, Sorcerous Workings, Investigations, and Travel are going to be handled by the same framework.

The example used in the game was investigating a trapped party during a mystery murder, where the goal was to get some likely suspects, but with obstacles in the way: Specifically the obstacles of "There's a lot of people here" and "Nobody feels like talking to you", both of which were difficulty 3 to overcome.

There was some Social stuff as well, mentioning things such as influencing or instilling Intimacies as well as using threshold successes on influence rolls to persuade and dissuade targets

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• This makes me happy. Imo, one of the biggest problems of exalted has been a proliferation of too many subsystems.

Comment

• I miscommunicated.

I didn’t mean that there would be multiple Hero Styles, or that other Exalted could learn the unique “Brawl” Charms of other Exalted.

I was referring to how all (proper) Second Edition Hero Styles were essentially Boxing/Pankration with different flavors. So, the shared “Brawl” Charms would look very much like Solar Hero Style and Infernal Monster Style, with the different flavors being expressed through Modes and a few Charms unique to each Exalted Host.

And if these Charms would continue to evoke Boxing, then perhaps they could have a Boxing Form Charm.

Comment

• I think the problem is that the only significant division between Brawl Charms and the Hero Styles was that the Hero Styles were MAs that could be learned like any other MA by other appropriate character. 1e and 3e still have Brawl Charms more oriented towards "boxing/grappling" without 2e's weird move to make the Hero Styles in response to collapsing Brawl and MA into one Ability.

Giving everyone a unique Form Charm as part of their native close combat Charms could be a interesting departure from previous Charm designs; esp. as a space saving measure to collapse a bunch of Charms into a single package, but I don't think that alone really qualifies as bringing back the Hero Styles. It also seems a distinct waste to focus that limited space on making everyone have a "boxing/grappling" Form Charm, instead of using it to highlight each splats most iconic way of fighting.

Comment

• The Brawl Charms could include an optional Boxing Form AND offer Host-specific “Hero” Form Charms.

The ideas are not mutually exclusive, and are distinct from each other. The Boxing Form would not work with grapples or kicks, for example.

Comment

• This feels like a lot of speculation on something not even hinted at as bieng a goal in Essence, and which draws on a system thing that wasn't really ever liked. If they reallyw anted to do like, organized puglilist/boxer stuff, it probably will be presetned as a style in itself. "Fighitng like a Solar" is probablyw hat Clsoe Combat covers more in gneeral, which may or may not look like a Balrog, Sol Badguy, or Mitsurugi depending on how you skin them. Splat-specific combat Charms probably go for mor elike, the splat's aeshtetics rather than looking like boxing.

And stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X