Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post

You should read the thread.
    Maybe so and I am doing that now (don't see any particular good news so far), but you have to realise that the thread starter asked a question. I just answered, without reading the thread, true, but a question is a question.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
      Now an argument can be made that the devs want to maintain creative control: they don't want a dozen different freelancers writing half-a-dozen different books, they want manageable projects which they can check balance on, and putting all these writers on too many books too fast is bad for game quality. That's an absolutely valid argument. EE having its own team though... why couldn't they work on the Exalted mainline?
      Creative control is probably exactly the reason. Working on a rules lite version of the game with all splats that will not actually affect any future books or anything down the line is pretty isolated. If they make some major mistake or produce something kind of dissonant with the main game line the effect is isolated. Maybe on other projects, but that kind of thing should be taken really carefully before producing a splatbook.

It also might ultimately be better. Generating interest in Exalted, which leads to more revenue and more ability to justify money spent on the line, and also giving a stepping stone for new players. Exalted in general is kind of a brick wall of rules that’s really hard to penetrate at first, being able to learn the basic rules in a simplified way and still have fun makes the transition easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
        Exalted Essence has its own development team. It's not drawing resources away from Ex3 anymore than Scion or Trinity are by having Exalted writers and developers working on them.
        Is it not drawing resources away from the development of Exalted main splats after Exigents ? How so ? This team could surely have worked on an actual third edition splat ? I don't understand. I mean, exalted third edition products already comes out incredibly slowly, and as buyers of this product we are already a patient lot who wait year in and year out for releases, and this could have meant that another book we actually need could have been created in tandem with what Vance and Minton are doing, or that's how I understand it at least. I really don't get this.
        Last edited by Magnus K; 12-09-2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus K View Post
          Edit: After having scrolled through the thread, I read nothing there that can assure me that this will not impact the creation and production of main splats after Exigents. If so, and if this alternative rules thing takes precedent over main splats, it would be a tragedy for Exalted in my opinion. A real tragedy.
          According to the developers this is a one off book. It’ll stand alone as a simple, less comprehensive product. Adding supplements to that would basically just be telling people to buy the ex3 core.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

According to the developers this is a one off book. It’ll stand alone as a simple, less comprehensive product. Adding supplements to that would basically just be telling people to buy the ex3 core.
            Maybe I am too negative, but it is depressing to wait so many years for Exalted releases so this kind of ticked me off a bit. I just viewed this as a great chance to have another Exalted product released, and of all possible things we need, they chose what we don't need and it is confusing as hell to me. Sorry if I come across as whining. I am just perplexed and disappointed as to how they have now been revealed to prioritize.

Comment

Is it not drawing resources away from the development of Exalted main splats after Exigents ? How so ? This team could surely have worked on an actual third edition splat ? I don't understand. I mean, exalted third edition products already comes out very slowly, this could have meant that another book we actually need could have been created in tandem with what Vance and Minton are doing. I really don't get this.
              Don't too many cooks spoil the broth? I have a pretty tiny kitchen at my current apartment; having even two people in there doing something simultaneously is not really viable, let alone helpful for cooking something faster.
              Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 12-09-2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Is it not drawing resources away from the development of Exalted main splats after Exigents ? How so ? This team could surely have worked on an actual third edition splat ? I don't understand.
                They got people who were not attached to other projects to work on this. That means that, by definition, it is not drawing resources away, as the same amount of resources are on the other projects before and after.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                  I have a pretty tiny kitchen.

If I cook my dinner at my house, my dinner gets cooked.

If I have you cook your dinner at your house, your dinner gets cooked.

If I have you and I cook both our dinners at my house together, it's going to be a crowded mess, and your efforts won't especially make our dinners get cooked much faster.

If I cook my dinner at my house, and have you cook your dinner at your house, both our dinners get cooked.
                  If you are critical of my opinion, then be frank, don't bullshit me with this please, it is impolite. You make no sense with your analogy and you do not adress any of my concerns.

Comment

Maybe I am too negative, but it is depressing to wait so many years for Exalted releases so this kind of ticked me off a bit. I just viewed this as a great chance to have another Exalted product released, and of all possible things we need, they chose what we don't need and it is confusing as hell to me. Sorry if I come across as whining. I am just perplexed and disappointed as to how they have now been revealed to prioritize.
                    Aside from the length of time the Core book required, the pace has actually been pretty good for the various splats.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                      Surely they could be given work writing books for E3, getting content out quicker?
                      Sometimes adding more people to a project will not help it get out faster.

Sure, we could hire a thousand people and get them all to write a single paragraph for a book, but the amount of organization they'd need in order to make a good book would delay the production process far more than the standard method.

Sometimes making a baby takes nine months, and it's going to take nine months no matter how many additional people are involved.

Ian A. A. Watson
                      Onyx Path Community Manager
                      Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

• Originally posted by Jang View Post

They got people who were not attached to other projects to work on this. That means that, by definition, it is not drawing resources away, as the same amount of resources are on the other projects before and after.
                        Maybe, and it would be nice if that succeeded of course. But I am skeptical when you claim that it has no impact. It seems to me that this could have mean a development of one of the books we actually need and it exasperates me that priority is given to this project which not at all seems critical for any campaign anywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnus K View Post
                          Maybe, and it would be nice if that succeeded of course. But I am skeptical when you claim that it has no impact. It seems to me that this could have mean a development of one of the books we actually need and it exasperates me that priority is given to this project which not at all seems critical for any campaign anywhere.
                          Well, it is gonna include splats and material for a whole slew of other exalts, which will be transferable to E3 proper. In my book, that is material that can help any campaign anywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnus K View Post
                            My younger sister has a disability that limits her ability to do things. She's barely got enough in her to take care of herself in a given day.

​Having an easier to master system would help my sister to play the game. If I want her to play in an Exalted campaign, this project is entirely critical for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

Sometimes adding more people to a project will not help it get out faster.

Sure, we could hire a thousand people and get them all to write a single paragraph for a book, but the amount of organization they'd need in order to make a good book would delay the production process far more than the standard method.

Sometimes making a baby takes nine months, and it's going to take nine months no matter how many additional people are involved.
                              I don't really understand how you answered his very good question. Your answer strikes me as a non-answer and more as a marketing explanation as you don't really explain anything with your words. More specifically then: Why is it that these people could not have worked on an exalted product ? Are they unable to create such a product and only able to re-write the rules (which seems like a big project, which again makes me wonder, like John Dee, why they are not working on something we actually need aka missing main splats or source books)
                              Is this question really such a bad question ? For me, it is the obvious one to ask and one I think you guys should honestly answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                                My younger sister has a disability that limits her ability to do things. She's barely got enough in her to take care of herself in a given day.

​Having an easier to master system would help my sister to play the game. If I want her to play in an Exalted campaign, this project is entirely critical for it.
                                Gave you a like there, for that was a fair answer. My response to that is however that your sister is probably not the target for advanced RPGs. Look, I understand what you mean, and I sympathise with those who are frightened by the rules. But I really, really do think, and I think that is fair, that it is the Exalted target group, us who are Story tellers and buy all the products, that should be peddled to first and foremost and not people with learning difficulties or disabilities. There are other easier games with a less complex settings and rules. And source material is being released very rarely, so I do not understand how they prioritize.

Comment

Working...
                                X