• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrLoveMonkey
    started a topic Exalted: Essence

Exalted: Essence

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Exalted Essence. Sounds really useful. Is this a real brochure of releases?

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.n...5DACE1359DF7C/
    So that seems pretty real. What do we all think of it?

• marin
    replied
    Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post
    All that, and rules hacks, too?!
    Also, ST info for every Exalted type, which'll give a bit more info on Getimians, Infernals and Alchemicals particularly.

Leave a comment:

• Hand-of-Omega
    replied
    Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

It's the Storyteller Guide, including a guide on how Exalted is supposed to be run, official alternate rules and systems, and some other goodies. Every time I think about it I get Jeff Goldblum grabby hands.

Gimme.

Gimme now.

All that, and rules hacks, too?!

Leave a comment:

• DrLoveMonkey
    replied
    Incidentally, I see Crucible of Legends on the schedule, but no mention of what that's about? And am I the only one who's so nerdy that he's most stoked about the Essay collection??
    It's the Storyteller Guide, including a guide on how Exalted is supposed to be run, official alternate rules and systems, and some other goodies. Every time I think about it I get Jeff Goldblum grabby hands.

Gimme.

Gimme now.

Leave a comment:

• Hand-of-Omega
    replied
    Thanks for all the info, guess I'll just wait and see as it gets closer to release. Have we been given any idea of the page count or price? And the chance to get a sneak peek at new Exalt types is a deal maker for me, esp as we probably can't expect to see them all for a few years yet...

Incidentally, I see Crucible of Legends on the schedule, but no mention of what that's about? And am I the only one who's so nerdy that he's most stoked about the Essay collection??

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Still a little unclear on what this will look like in action, tho...
    Boy howdy are you in luck!

Yes I realize this is like nine hours to comb through, and that's a lot to assign. I've watched those, and there's a few things that make me like what I see. Short versions:

Things I Like The Look Of:
    • It definitely looks simpler, but not so simplified that it doesn't look like it lacks some heft
    • There's a few changes that seem to address some shortcomings in Ex3
      • Different Craft system, with Craft being folded into a Projects system (previewed in the third link) alongside most complex actions such as traveling, Bureaucratic Projects, and Sorcerous Workings
      • Instead of exchanging Initiative and having that determine who goes next, you build Power to launch Decisive Attacks, and this doesn't work by draining power from others, thus sidestepping the problem of "We've fired off enough Decisive attacks that nobody has any more Initiative" which I have seen.
    • Stunts seem to be getting a revamp. Instead of ranking your Stunts, something is either a Stunt or it isn't. You get rewarded dice for Stunts, and you can spend them on one of your rolls or you can actually contribute them to a friend's die pool as an assist if they fail.
    • The Exalt Advantages, which are little powers that different Exalt types share, look neat without being overwhelming. Each Exalt Type gets two Advantages the splat shares, and each Caste/Aspect gets three Advantages tied to your Anima. One that's available at all times, one that kicks in when your anima flares, and one that kicks in when your Anima goes Iconic.
      • Example: Solars have two shared Advantages (Free Excellency, Win Ties), and Dawns, for instance, have a passive ability to just take out one Extra antagonist every round in combat (I hear that Dusks and Azimuths get similar abilities)
    Things I Don't Like the Look of/Am Unsure of:
    • Hype as I am for this system... I admit there's some things I'm kind of resigned to rolling with. If you like the feeling of finding those Four Key Charms and firing them off all at once in a super Wombo Combo of cascading successes, Essence may not scratch that itch.
    • I saw some people musing that with lower Mote costs, and what we've heard mentioned of the Anima Progression, it may be take some time for your Anima to get to Iconic. This chafes a little because as mentioned above, some of your abilities are tied to your Anima level. This may change in testing.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    As someone that's fine with the mechanical complexity of 3e (at least the level of it, not always the specific implementations of it), I have the following reasons for picking up Essence:

1) Just because I like high crunch doesn't mean I always want to play high crunch and having a lower crunch game in a familiar setting gives me more options to play based on my moods.

2) I play with different people with different tastes. Some people I play with have wanted Essence for 20 years. Some think that regular 3e is just fine. Having Essence and core 3e lets me play with both sets with mechanics the individual group enjoys.

3) Essence looks like it might have some solutions to issues I have with 3e's implementations that I might want to mine for house rule even if I don't keep Essence's relative simplicity. Also in general I like to tinker and appreciate good ideas for rules that I might apply elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Minton
    replied
    Essence shares the same setting of Third Edition, but it only has room for the same depth of setting information that's in the 3e core book — that is to say, it's pretty thoroughly abridged. If you want more setting information for Essence, you'll want to use the same 3e supplements that you'd use in concert with the 3e core.

Leave a comment:

• Blaque
    replied
    Still a little unclear on what this will look like in action, tho...So it comes out, someone picks it up and likes it and wants to play more...But the only option for that are the supplements for the crazy complicated game they were intimidated by in the first place? Maybe I'm just too used to the business model of encouraging buyers to expand their collections, so I guess I'm just not seeing how it can be so completely self contained...It has all the same setting info as the Core?

Say that one IS satisfied with 3E as is, is there any incentive to pick this up (beyond being a completist)?
    DrLoveMonkey I think hit smost of the things there. A big thing to note is that the book itself will probablyb e pretty upfront on its relationship with the rest of the line. It is being designed to be well, minimal. If it does its job right, it won't need more systems since you'll be able to convert from the main game into it pretty easily. They even plan to provide an appendix to do that in tehre. And the same book will also point to the Exalted books which are needed to expand on. The nature of a rules-light system as they are trying to do it means that you just don't have like, a lot more to do mechancially if you get your bases covered well.

Like, in talking about all ten canonical Exalted at once, it by its nature can't cover a shitload of setting important things that the big splas do. ANd as much as there is a lot of crunch in say, Lunars, I would fathom to ay that a lot of the book is still material relevant to Essence. The Introduction, first two chapters, the information on Lunar Exalted mechanics relevant to things like their Great Curse and Essence fever, the style of Charms hlep give ideas for things that might just not make it into ExEss for wordcount, the artifacts are all full of stuff to loot for such games, and the QCs are useful for anything also.

And this is beyond books that well, aren't going to be as mechanical like Crucible of Legends or Across the Eight Directions, which are going to likely be pretty mechanics agnostic.

Leave a comment:

• DrLoveMonkey
    replied
    Still a little unclear on what this will look like in action, tho...So it comes out, someone picks it up and likes it and wants to play more...But the only option for that are the supplements for the crazy complicated game they were intimidated by in the first place? Maybe I'm just too used to the business model of encouraging buyers to expand their collections, so I guess I'm just not seeing how it can be so completely self contained...It has all the same setting info as the Core?

Say that one IS satisfied with 3E as is, is there any incentive to pick this up (beyond being a completist)?
    Essence is probably being designed to not need supplements. It has ten playable exalt types right form the start, so no splatbooks. Beyond that having a dozen supplements kind of kills the idea. “Here’s Exalted Essence, an easy, self contained rules-lite system, and here’s the seven supplement books that you have to buy if you want to expand it with a huge intricate list of artifacts, marital arts, manse designing, new splats, expansions on old splats, and million new sorcery spells!” If you’re looking for a deeper and more complex experience just get ex3.

If you like the main line picking it up will give you a preview of unreleased splats and maybe some ideas on houserule for the main game, but if you’re a fan of Essence you probably won’t pick up any mainline books for the crunch.

Leave a comment:

• Hand-of-Omega
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DrLoveMonkey
    replied
    There’s also other things that make it newbie friendly like nearly completely flattening the power curve and giving all exalted the same treatment and content right out of the gate.

Leave a comment:

• Blaque
    replied
    Thanks! Ok, this will be interesting to see. Although I kinda wonder if its very existence is a tacit admission that the complexity of 3E may have gotten away from them...All I see on the site is that work will begin in 2020, but it looks like campaigns are already being run? I don't see it on DriveThru, is there an ETA?
    It's a mix. The current devs operate in it ifine and one of the devs for Essence has noted not minding the complexity of Exalted. The three main heads (Monica, Neall, Dixie) on it are actually a good range of good-with-3e, tired-with-3e, and scared-away-by-3e as I gather from the interviews and podcasts on the topic. ANd the success of Lunars (the first all-by-current devs Minton and Vance) is sitll one of OPP's best Kickstaters since Dragon-Blooded last I checked, so there's still at least folks willing to play for it.

But having another option on the other end of the system maximalism spectrum with some ptoentially genuinely fresh appraoch to the Exalted is pretty stand-out. And its stand-alone nature and promise to be so to me shows the confidence the mainline will do fine still.

Leave a comment:

• DrLoveMonkey
    replied
    Thanks! Ok, this will be interesting to see. Although I kinda wonder if its very existence is a tacit admission that the complexity of 3E may have gotten away from them...All I see on the site is that work will begin in 2020, but it looks like campaigns are already being run? I don't see it on DriveThru, is there an ETA?
    There’s alpha build test games that the developers posted excerpts from.

It might be a tacit admission of that, but then again I know people who genuinely think that DnD 5th edition is too complex and get turned off by it. I think Ex3 is a bit too complex, but not by too much and only in certain areas. I’d be good with it being 80%-90% as finnicky, but some people can only handle it if it’s like 20% as complicated. Essence might be for them.

Leave a comment:

• Hand-of-Omega
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X