• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrLoveMonkey
    started a topic Exalted: Essence

Exalted: Essence

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Exalted Essence. Sounds really useful. Is this a real brochure of releases?

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.n...5DACE1359DF7C/
    So that seems pretty real. What do we all think of it?

• Sunder the Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by Neall View Post
    Nah. Aspects indicates that Dragon-Blooded and Liminals are elemental in character - they all possess all of their elements within them, they just lean towards one more than the others. Castes indicates role and purpose. I realize that's a distinction without a difference - it's basically saying there's really only one type of Liminal or Dragon-Blooded, sort of similar to saying how Sidereals don't have castes since they're each Chosen by a different Incarna.
    I think the easier criteria to understand and accept is that CHOICE is involved with Caste, and determinism is involved with Aspect.

For Solar Exalted, the Sun chose you to be a Dawn, rather than any other Exaltation that might have been available.

For Sidereals, a specific Maiden decided to Choose you.

For Lunars, they choose their own Castes.

For Alchemical Exalted, the people building them chose them and chose what Caste they would have.

But there's no such choice involved with Dragon-Blooded; whoever takes the Second Breath is reborn with the Aspect of one of their Dragon-Blooded ancestors. It's automatic and deterministic, even if the determining mechanisms are so minute and finicky that possibly only the god who monitors Terrestrial Exalted could predict it.

Likewise, the Dark Mother doesn't get to choose what sort of Liminal she breathes into. Their Aspect is determined by the creator of their physical body.

Leave a comment:

• marin
    replied
    Originally posted by Bastet View Post
    I can get behind Infernals as Venom, however in that context I take issue with the frequency it can be communed with and the expectation on the storyteller to provide good information.

That seems likely to push against how myopic demons in Exalted are typically portrayed in order to show their alien mindset. Being expected to filter ideas on how to say... blackmail the duke, through a Blood Ape or Hopping Puppeteer seems like some significant characterisation will get lost in the shuffle.
    They've been debating how to handle this behind the scenes (like, say, the coadjutor serving as a connection to a patron Yozi).

Leave a comment:

• Greyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    I never really noticed that the Sidereals don't use castes till now. I've been calling them Chosen of blank but it never seemed odd.
    They do have castes. They just tend to call themselves Chosen of Whichever Maiden because their caste marks clearly label them as such whenever their anima is burning.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by Neall View Post
    Nah. Aspects indicates that Dragon-Blooded and Liminals are elemental in character - they all possess all of their elements within them, they just lean towards one more than the others. Castes indicates role and purpose. I realize that's a distinction without a difference - it's basically saying there's really only one type of Liminal or Dragon-Blooded, sort of similar to saying how Sidereals don't have castes since they're each Chosen by a different Incarna.
    I never really noticed that the Sidereals don't use castes till now. I've been calling them Chosen of blank but it never seemed odd.

Leave a comment:

• Neall
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
    Hm. I wonder... If Alchemicals are Terrestrials for purposes that care, does that mean that they'll be Orichalcum and Jade ASPECTS rather than CASTES?

Leave a comment:

• Bastet
    replied
    Originally posted by The MG View Post
    More seriously, communing with the demon/symbiote inside of you is a classic trope, and it would be a complete waste to just... not make it a thing.
    I can get behind Infernals as Venom, however in that context I take issue with the frequency it can be communed with and the expectation on the storyteller to provide good information.

That seems likely to push against how myopic demons in Exalted are typically portrayed in order to show their alien mindset. Being expected to filter ideas on how to say... blackmail the duke, through a Blood Ape or Hopping Puppeteer seems like some significant characterisation will get lost in the shuffle.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Hm. I wonder... If Alchemicals are Terrestrials for purposes that care, does that mean that they'll be Orichalcum and Jade ASPECTS rather than CASTES?

Leave a comment:

• Epitome
    replied
    Originally posted by Prometheus878 View Post

...I think I might know what this means. In the original First Edition Quickstart, there were only five Attributes, and no Abilities. Everything was folded into Fighting, Magnetism, Scholarship, Stealth, and Embassy.

Could be something like that, maybe not.
    The Essence devs did mention Embassy once, saying it could be a means of achieving political change within the Realm. Plus they have said that a lot was built from the perspective of the 5 Solar archetypes. So my guess is you are right on the money and those will be the 5 Attributes in Essence.
    Last edited by Epitome; Today, 12:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sunder the Gold
    replied
    Yes, see that sounds like a useful framing device for a story with one character, but not something that jumps out to me as important to Infernals like shapeshifting is to Lunars. Relevant/useful knowledge once per session honestly sounds like a better fit for Whispers.
    No argument!

I meant the example as a way to point out that even some unlikely species of demons (the brutish Blood Apes) could be a surprising font of relevant knowledge.

But as you allude, it's most useful when the Infernal is alone and has no one else to dialogue with.

Leave a comment:

• The MG
    replied
    This is weird. I have seen exactly one Green Sun Prince who actively interacted with their Coadjutor and a lot of First Circle Demons are a poor choice for someone supplying you relevant information.
    "Alright, I'm stumped, I'm going to ask my Coadjutor."
    "there are no BABIES here they are ADORABLE though did you know that BABIES are ADORABLE also those trees would look better as a HOUSE i can make a HOUSE out of them if you want wait where is my body i really need to build a HOUSE right now-"

More seriously, communing with the demon/symbiote inside of you is a classic trope, and it would be a complete waste to just... not make it a thing.

Leave a comment:

• Bastet
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
    Emiya Shirou is getting a lot of mileage out of Senbreck, a Blood Ape who lived so long in the Demon City that his whole pelt had turned white, in the fanfic "Skipping All The Steps", because he's stranded in Creation alone with no one else to talk to and plenty of questions that need answering.
    Yes, see that sounds like a useful framing device for a story with one character, but not something that jumps out to me as important to Infernals like shapeshifting is to Lunars. Relevant/useful knowledge once per session honestly sounds like a better fit for Whispers.

Leave a comment:

• Prometheus878
    replied
    Originally posted by Epitome View Post
    -Dex isn't a God Stat. Or even a thing.
    ...I think I might know what this means. In the original First Edition Quickstart, there were only five Attributes, and no Abilities. Everything was folded into Fighting, Magnetism, Scholarship, Stealth, and Embassy.

Could be something like that, maybe not.

Leave a comment:

• Sunder the Gold
    replied
    This is weird. I have seen exactly one Green Sun Prince who actively interacted with their Coadjutor and a lot of First Circle Demons are a poor choice for someone supplying you relevant information.
    Emiya Shirou is getting a lot of mileage out of Senbreck, a Blood Ape who lived so long in the Demon City that his whole pelt had turned white, in the fanfic "Skipping All The Steps", because he's stranded in Creation alone with no one else to talk to and plenty of questions that need answering.

But, in "Miracles of Ancient Wonder", Yang Xiao Long so seldom talks with or about her Coadjutor that we still don't even know what it was, because she already has plenty of conversational company with her teammates, and generally isn't interested in asking it any questions. It just sort of sulks in the back of her mind except when it hits the Limit Button as punishment for acting against her Urge.

Aside from that, "Exalted Advantages" sounds too much like "Advantages enjoyed by all Exalted", and I'm really hoping that they go with "Host Advantages" or "Patron Advantages", because obviously all Exalted are Exalted, but each Exalt belongs to a single specific Host of Exalted, or their Exaltation comes from a single specific Patron.

Leave a comment:

• Bastet
    replied
    Originally posted by Epitome View Post
    -One of the Exalted Advantages (a splat wide benefit, such as Lunar Shapeshifting) for Infernals is Unwoven Coadjutor, which allows you to, once per session, ask your Demon for info on a topic and the ST must give you an important or story relevant fact.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X