• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrLoveMonkey
    started a topic Exalted: Essence

Exalted: Essence

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Exalted Essence. Sounds really useful. Is this a real brochure of releases?

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.n...5DACE1359DF7C/
    So that seems pretty real. What do we all think of it?

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    You're right, cheers.

Leave a comment:

• marin
    replied
    Apparently they've hired two new writers to boost stuff along, because they released very little in 2020 and so are keen to get lots of stuff out in 2020.

I think Essence will be the next KS for Exalted, though obviously not the next KS from Onyx Path generally.
    Two new devs. One's been handling Exigents, the other's been doing Many-Faced Strangers and Across the Eight Directions, as well as assisting with Hundred Devils/Adversaries.

(Also, that second 2020 should be 2021.)

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Apparently they've hired two new writers to boost stuff along, because they released very little in 2020 and so are keen to get lots of stuff out in 2021.

I think Essence will be the next KS for Exalted, though obviously not the next KS from Onyx Path generally.
    Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 12-15-2020, 04:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Distant Choir
    replied
    Already? This is super quick, which is very encouraging. Would this mean ExEss is the next KS...?

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Essence is in Manuscript Approval now.

Leave a comment:

• Darkfoxdev
    replied
    Uh, let's see here, stuff I saw on discord.
    • Spells will have modes the same as charms, for sorcery and necromancy, with some spells being exclusive to one or the other.
    • Eclipse oath sealing will no longer be limited to Iconic anima.
    • There was a private playtest at metatopia that was apparently quite good.
    • Death is one of several fates that can befall your character upon defeat, you the player may also choose from other fates, such as being abducted or temporarily losing access to one of your merits (such as your daiklave being destroyed and needing to be reforged Anduril style).
    • Enemies will be designed in the vein of storypath with base stats of 3 dice pools (Great, Good, Everything Else), Qualities (passive abilities) and Flairs (activated abilities with cooldown), then have templates that buff them accordingly. Examples were buffing a Fighting Dude with templates such as Battlegroup and Exalt to make the Wyld Hunt. Another Example was Demon with second and third circle templates. I heard in the BonusXp podcast that one statblock is "Militant God".
    • Shaping Rituals are still around and will have different mechanics from each other.
    • Righteous Devil will be an included Martial Art
    • One or more Abilities (names or number) of the preview game have been changed
    Looking further back so this might have been mentioned before...
    • Approaches/abilities will be assigned points with an array, however, a sidebar will remind you to just add the points together and redistribute them if you'd prefer not to use it.
    • You'll start with either one free excellency or one free level of Ox-body in addition to normal charms
    • Attribute Exalts (like Liminals and Lunars) will have an Excellency Mode that lets them double their approach instead of their ability
    • Artifacts will have 1 base power + 1-3 evocations
    • Establishing Facts and Dramatic Editing is still present, Sidereals interact with Dramatic Editing in some way or have charms that make you good at it.
    And as Essence is still in development stage it's worth noting that all of this is subject to change, and some older info (Such as eclipse Oath-Sealing) has already been overhauled.
    Last edited by Darkfoxdev; 11-29-2020, 08:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Any new spoilers for Essence?
    Oh yeah turns out they released the entire manuscript for open playtesting. Meant to mention it here but it totally slipped my mind.

More seriously, I haven't seen any new play feeds or anything so I haven't gotten any new tidbits

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Any new spoilers for Essence?

Leave a comment:

• marin
    replied
    Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post
    All that, and rules hacks, too?!
    Also, ST info for every Exalted type, which'll give a bit more info on Getimians, Infernals and Alchemicals particularly.

Leave a comment:

• Hand-of-Omega
    replied
    Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

It's the Storyteller Guide, including a guide on how Exalted is supposed to be run, official alternate rules and systems, and some other goodies. Every time I think about it I get Jeff Goldblum grabby hands.

Gimme.

Gimme now.

All that, and rules hacks, too?!

Leave a comment:

• DrLoveMonkey
    replied
    Incidentally, I see Crucible of Legends on the schedule, but no mention of what that's about? And am I the only one who's so nerdy that he's most stoked about the Essay collection??
    It's the Storyteller Guide, including a guide on how Exalted is supposed to be run, official alternate rules and systems, and some other goodies. Every time I think about it I get Jeff Goldblum grabby hands.

Gimme.

Gimme now.

Leave a comment:

• Hand-of-Omega
    replied
    Thanks for all the info, guess I'll just wait and see as it gets closer to release. Have we been given any idea of the page count or price? And the chance to get a sneak peek at new Exalt types is a deal maker for me, esp as we probably can't expect to see them all for a few years yet...

Incidentally, I see Crucible of Legends on the schedule, but no mention of what that's about? And am I the only one who's so nerdy that he's most stoked about the Essay collection??

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Still a little unclear on what this will look like in action, tho...
    Boy howdy are you in luck!

Yes I realize this is like nine hours to comb through, and that's a lot to assign. I've watched those, and there's a few things that make me like what I see. Short versions:

Things I Like The Look Of:
    • It definitely looks simpler, but not so simplified that it doesn't look like it lacks some heft
    • There's a few changes that seem to address some shortcomings in Ex3
      • Different Craft system, with Craft being folded into a Projects system (previewed in the third link) alongside most complex actions such as traveling, Bureaucratic Projects, and Sorcerous Workings
      • Instead of exchanging Initiative and having that determine who goes next, you build Power to launch Decisive Attacks, and this doesn't work by draining power from others, thus sidestepping the problem of "We've fired off enough Decisive attacks that nobody has any more Initiative" which I have seen.
    • Stunts seem to be getting a revamp. Instead of ranking your Stunts, something is either a Stunt or it isn't. You get rewarded dice for Stunts, and you can spend them on one of your rolls or you can actually contribute them to a friend's die pool as an assist if they fail.
    • The Exalt Advantages, which are little powers that different Exalt types share, look neat without being overwhelming. Each Exalt Type gets two Advantages the splat shares, and each Caste/Aspect gets three Advantages tied to your Anima. One that's available at all times, one that kicks in when your anima flares, and one that kicks in when your Anima goes Iconic.
      • Example: Solars have two shared Advantages (Free Excellency, Win Ties), and Dawns, for instance, have a passive ability to just take out one Extra antagonist every round in combat (I hear that Dusks and Azimuths get similar abilities)
    Things I Don't Like the Look of/Am Unsure of:
    • Hype as I am for this system... I admit there's some things I'm kind of resigned to rolling with. If you like the feeling of finding those Four Key Charms and firing them off all at once in a super Wombo Combo of cascading successes, Essence may not scratch that itch.
    • I saw some people musing that with lower Mote costs, and what we've heard mentioned of the Anima Progression, it may be take some time for your Anima to get to Iconic. This chafes a little because as mentioned above, some of your abilities are tied to your Anima level. This may change in testing.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    As someone that's fine with the mechanical complexity of 3e (at least the level of it, not always the specific implementations of it), I have the following reasons for picking up Essence:

1) Just because I like high crunch doesn't mean I always want to play high crunch and having a lower crunch game in a familiar setting gives me more options to play based on my moods.

2) I play with different people with different tastes. Some people I play with have wanted Essence for 20 years. Some think that regular 3e is just fine. Having Essence and core 3e lets me play with both sets with mechanics the individual group enjoys.

3) Essence looks like it might have some solutions to issues I have with 3e's implementations that I might want to mine for house rule even if I don't keep Essence's relative simplicity. Also in general I like to tinker and appreciate good ideas for rules that I might apply elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X