Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exalted: Reincarnated

Exalted Reincarnated Folder

I figure now is as good a time as any to start a new thread, so that I can have the title be correct.

I am continuing to work on this regardless of Exalted: Essence. It's for fun!

Exalted: Reincarnated has become a quite slim and streamlined mechanics setting, and the pieces are finally starting to fall into order correctly! I still have some tightening of the mechanics left to do and cleaning-up editing, but for the most part I am to the point where I can start writing Charms and Powers!

Design Goals
    • There are three and only three Systems: Encounters, Combat, and Projects
    • Charms and other powers should be concise, and each Power should do something.
      • Currently limiting myself to One page of charms per Ability. May extend that to Two.
    • Martial Arts are how the Player interacts with the Combat system. Typically "non-combat" characters should have combat options, like Silver-Voiced Nightingale Style.
      • Combat-type MA will be stronger than non-Combat MA, don't worry.
    General Mechanics
    • Attribute + Ability roll remain mostly the same as Exalted, for the most part. I shuffled the Attributes around to fit the "Force, Finesse, Defense" model, to become:
      • Strength, Dexterity, Stamina, Intelligence, Cunning, Will, Charisma, Insight, Composure.
    • Stunting is a single tier. Most of the power from the stunt is from the Narrative impact that you are allowed to do.
    • Great Curse is a narrative attribute of your character. You write it down on your character sheet and you determine how it impacts your character, and when.
    • Anima Banner Level is tied directly to a Charms. The charm will say something like "Dim" or "Bonfire", which will increase your anima to that level when used.
    Esoteric Abilities
    In addition to the natural abilities, there are Esoteric Abilities--abilities that may only be learned and mastered by having a bit of the supernatural inside of you. Sorcery and Necromancy are the general Esoteric Abilities, and each Exalts--except specifically Solars--will have an ability tied to their Caste/Aspect. The Five Elements, Shapeshifting, the Five Maidens, etc.

Martial Arts and Charms may call for these abilities in their Prerequisites, for example "Brawl 2, Fire 3, Essence 2." Anyone who has those abilities may also learn those Charms, Spells, or MA techniques. (i.e. Gods, god-blooded, Eclipse Castes. The restrictions will be rather tight.)

Minor Charms
    Minor Charms (and Trivial Charms) are introduced. These are Charms that you do not need to purchase and simply use. Speaking to their name, they are lesser effects than full-blooded charms, but are still inherently supernatural in their nature. Some of the weaker and more niche, special-use charms are becoming Minor Charms. Summon the Loyal <X> is an example for Solars.

Minor Charms may also be made up on the fly. "My character should be able to do this" is perfectly valid.

Strifes
    Strife Points are a story-length limited resource. (2+Essence per Story). These are the markers for allowing your character to reach above and beyond what even their character sheet says they can do.

Currently, you can use a Strife to activate and automatically succeed at any Charm--even ones that you do not currently own. Or you can use it do a Strife Expression, which is the replacement for Excellencies. They are scene-length power boosters. There will probably be more options as I think them up.

(Currently the Strife Expressions are all over the place in balance. I am aware of this.)

Encounters
    An Encounter is a general mechanic for when actions are to be resolved across the entire scene (rather than a single simple roll). This is for the dramatic courtroom scenes, or socially sparring in a ballroom, or even naval and large-scale warfare.

The Storyteller, at the start of the scene, decides on a certain number of Keystones that must be resolved before the scene can end in the Player's favor. In a social scene this would be addressing intimacies and fears of a character. In a tactical scene, they would be claiming choke-points. Each and every one of these Keystones must be dealt with by the character before the scene ends, or else they either Fail or Partially Succeed at their task.

Characters will need to build up Influence, a scene resource, by taking Gathering actions--anything that advances the scene, be it intimidating sycophants, pumping information with sweet talk, breaking the scenery in a show of force. So long as it aides and helps the scene, you get a number of Influence equal to number of successes rolled.

With that Influence, the Players then need to take Decisive Actions against the Keystones. But be careful, Decisive actions are inherently Risky! The outcome can lead to a Failure, Partial Success, or Full Success. If the Player gets a Failure or Partial Success, they must Pay a Price where something bad happens--they get wounded, the antagonist advances their plot, the scene gets harder for them.

Once all the Keystones are taken care of, the Players enter the Final Action which simply ties everything together and determines either how much they failed, or how much they succeeded in the scene.

Combat
    Combat, or a skirmish, operates similarly to an Encounter: The players must gather Impulse from the scene to land Decisive Blows against their opponents.

Lesser Foes scatter across the battle field, minions and battle groups of lesser combatants. These may be attacked and battled through Gathering Actions to gain Impulse. Or smashing the scenery, getting advantage from the high-ground, studying footwork...so long as it gives you advantage, your actions give you Impulse.

Decisive Attacks against Worthy Foes are simple Damage = Accuracy - DV rolls, where Accuracy is determined by Att+Abi+Essence+Weapon, and DV is the higher of Evasion or Soak. (Parry will still exist, but as active Charms rather than a passive.)

Projects
    Projects are the way to make permanent impacts on the world, as well as increase or gain Merit dots (such as making an artifact with Craft).

During play, you will be gaining Project Resources alongside your xp that your character may use in "downtime" to advance their projects. PR, in contrast to your xp, should be gained according to materials, labor, or other such resource access that you gain in your adventure. There is a small system for rolling if you get complications/troubles while working on your Project to spice things up.

Currently, Projects are a bit more complicated and rough than I like. It's being streamlined and massaged a bit.

Holidays were busy, and I was not able to write as much as I would have liked. That said, I think I have the core rules down and solid, which has let me start to make prototypes for all of the sections.

I've made Snake and Tiger Martial arts. Snake was pretty easy to translate over, it had a solid theme and evocative effects. Tiger, however, was a bit of a struggle. It is kinda all over the place in 3e with thematic and effects, so it was difficult to choose what path forward to go with.

I've begun to detail out some Merits and Antagonists, two sections I admittedly do not enjoy writing out at all, but are very necessary. I'll have to keep on myself to make sure I don't procrastinate those sections.

Solar Charms are being detailed. Since I've gone through this part multiple times already, I see this going by fairly well.

I would love to talk and chat with people about design ideas and thoughts, (it would help me keep my motivation too!)

Comment

Working...
    X